Likely getting a MOTU 896 for free, any good?

madbutcher

May 23, 2005
St Louis
www.harkonin.com
its the old 2002 model not the mk2. But someone is giving it away so I was going to grab it to add 8 inputs to my setup with my saffire pro 40. I guess use the pro 40 as the main and just optical out of the MOTU into that. Hard to find much info on this older model though.

I have one that I had modded by Black Lion Audio. It works great, but I have to re-install the driver every time for it to work with my 828mk3 (Windows 7). But when it is up and running it works great.

You don't have a 0-latency mixer but the round-trip latency is good. You can only monitor 2 inputs with zero latency.

I would double check to make sure it can be standalone A/D converter if that is your intended use. I am not 100% sure it can do that.

I did have some weird driver issues and a BSOD getting the drivers working. But after doing a "repair" on them it seems to be working great. Couple knob caps are missing but pretty sweet for free! Now I am a bit ignorant on having 2 interfaces like this.... how do I hook them up to use both? I am assuming the right way, and i guess only way, is to optical out of the MOTU into the optical in of the saffire and it should show the inputs on the saffire as adat in 9-16 in the daw right? If yes, I see optcal cables in 5 mm and 8 mm. Is the 8mm worth getting? Make a difference?