Limited edition DVD?

Strahd

I am fine
Apr 3, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
www.gs.gfs.gu.se
I was just looking at www.ginza.se and I saw a limited edition version of the DVD? I haven't read anything about that on the website so I'm just wondering what the differences are. Does anyone know? Or if someone is going to the upcoming shows perhaps they could ask should they get the chance to meet them.

The Difference is Digipak and 28 pages Booklet. The normal one is without Booklet and no Digipak.

Strahd said:
Oh and by the way, if anyone happens to be in Gothenburg on the 27th of May be sure to come to the cinema Draken. They will show the DVD there!

Too bad I cannot be everywhere ;) Have fun and let us know how it was (strange that it's gonna happen after the official release though). I've been to such a thing when the Blind Guardian DVD came out. It was odd to say the least. :D

Gaunerin said:
Too bad I cannot be everywhere ;) Have fun and let us know how it was (strange that it's gonna happen after the official release though). I've been to such a thing when the Blind Guardian DVD came out. It was odd to say the least. :D

Yes I also find it a bit odd but I'm guessing that they couldn't book it on another day. It will be a test of my patience to buy the DVD on tuesday and NOT watch it as soon as I get back home :hotjump: Then again I could probably watch the extra stuff as they will most likely only show the gig itself at the theater. And I'm still hoping for some kind of accoustic gig as well. I'll write a review here afterwards and if permitted I'll take some pictures during the event as well.

sknight said:
So I'm wondering if it's worth it and available in the US in any way. Since we got the cd, that's probably the booklet for the album, no?

I'm guessing that the DVD booklet will have more pictures than the CD one but that is pure speculation from my part so don't take my word for it.

what the fuck? thats just disgusting! evergrey releases two dvd`s?? why? to make more money? and the only difference is that one contains a larger booklet, and is a digi??? are u fucking kiddin me? i love ever, but get a grib, seriously.

Detric said:
what the fuck? thats just disgusting! evergrey releases two dvd`s?? why? to make more money? and the only difference is that one contains a larger booklet, and is a digi??? are u fucking kiddin me? i love ever, but get a grib, seriously.

As I said I don't know if there will be any other differences as there haven't been any info posted here. And even if I'm correct I don't see the problem. Noone forces you to buy the limited version. And it's certainly not only Evergrey who are doing this. Almost every band releases limited editions with extra stuff in order to give the fans something extra as well as to offer something that the downloaders wont get. Because let's face it. Downloading is a big problem for the record companies nowadays.

Strahd, I will have to disagree. Well. Agree and disagree. I believe it is a problem for the smaller bands/record labels, but most of the big ones (And those doing the most vocal whining about it) Aren't hurt as much.

@Detric Well, I have pre-ordered the limited DVD as I'm a collector and I like to have digipaks and booklets and all. If you just want the footage and don't care about packaging buy the regular DVD. The difference is 3 Euros or so, which isn't really that much. What's the problem? :)

@Gaunerin I have been to the Blind Guardian DVD event too... in Bochum, right? :)

well there is no problem, i just hate it when a band releases two cds or two dvd`s just with a little extra on one of them, so they can sell more of their shit. why wont any band do it the primitive way anymore? release ONE album, or ONE dvd and no more shit, its becoming a boyband thing now! whats next, evergrey under pants and hair spray, but only if you buy the ltd one? I hate it, serously. but okay, if your a diehard evergrey fan i guess its cool, i just dont see why bands have to do this..

Detric said:
...release ONE album, or ONE dvd and no more shit, its becoming a boyband thing now! whats next, evergrey under pants and hair spray, but only if you buy the ltd one?...

Well, as far as bonustracks go I agree with you. But with digipaks and booklets it's different as those are very expensive to make. Still, which band doesn't want their stuff to look pretty?
I work in an advertising agency and we do a lot of those glossy print jobs and I can tell you they cost a fortune. So that's probably why most record companies can't do an entire edition that way. I mean the print shop won't wait with their invoice until everything is sold, right? ;)
Look at it like this: the original fans who knew the band when their stuff was released first have the choice to buy an extra nice version that others later on will have to pay a little fortune for when they try to grab a copy on ebay. ;)
LOL @ boyband! Let's all fire up Photoshop and see what we can do. ;)

Detric said:
well there is no problem, i just hate it when a band releases two cds or two dvd`s just with a little extra on one of them, so they can sell more of their shit. why wont any band do it the primitive way anymore? release ONE album, or ONE dvd and no more shit, its becoming a boyband thing now! whats next, evergrey under pants and hair spray, but only if you buy the ltd one? I hate it, serously. but okay, if your a diehard evergrey fan i guess its cool, i just dont see why bands have to do this..

I'm still not quite sure of what your point is. In what way does the release of two versions make them sell more? To me it sounds as you feel forced to buy the limited version or better yet, buy both versions. Well you're not. You can simply buy the ordinary one and get everything you want except the packaging. And unless you truly ARE a diehard fan you don't really care about the packaging do you?
Also I'm not so sure that blaming the band for this is the right thing to do. Sure they probably have some say in it but it's more than likely the record labels decision to do this, just as it is the record labels decision to put bonus tracks on Japanese releases in order to stop the Japanese from buying the cheaper imports.

CampinCarl said:
Strahd, I will have to disagree. Well. Agree and disagree. I believe it is a problem for the smaller bands/record labels, but most of the big ones (And those doing the most vocal whining about it) Aren't hurt as much.

Agreed but what we believe ain't the same as the record labels believe and hence these limited versions. That's my guess at least.
And it is also a good way to make sure they get lots of sales in the first weeks and thus the albums might end up on toplists that in turn will generate interest in the band and perhaps even more sales.

strahd I think evergrey had to agree with this idea before they were put out in the shops, so they have a influence on this as well. yes I can just buy the normal edition and shut the fuck up right? :D
but I just never thought evergrey would disagree to do something like this, sell another copy just with a different package, and nothing else. you dont get any bonus tracks, no videos, no nothing. but like I said, its cool for diehard fans, I just dont get the whole idea with bands doing so much to make their covers look cool, and even make two copies of the same cd or a dvd like evergrey did in this case.

Detric said:
strahd I think evergrey had to agree with this idea before they were put out in the shops, so they have a influence on this as well. yes I can just buy the normal edition and shut the fuck up right? :D
but I just never thought evergrey would disagree to do something like this, sell another copy just with a different package, and nothing else. you dont get any bonus tracks, no videos, no nothing. but like I said, its cool for diehard fans, I just dont get the whole idea with bands doing so much to make their covers look cool, and even make two copies of the same cd or a dvd like evergrey did in this case.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion and there is no need to "shut the fuck up" as you put it. I just found your reaction about this to be a bit too strong when it's really not that big of a deal nowadays. On the other hand, if they had released a best of album with one previously unreleased bonus track to make us longtime fans buy it then I would have reacted the same way you did now. So it's all just a matter of personal opinions and we just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Cheers.