Line6 POD HD500: Last Chance!

Clark Kent

Jan 23, 2011
Okay so no sight of the Custom IR option in POD HD and I'm giving up the wait. The stock cabinets are probably worse than any cabinet in any Line6 product ever... so I've given up a 100 times on this unit.

Today I gave it a last chance. I found ONE (1) cabinet selection that somewhat works for me. It still sounds weird but it's the only cab I can use in this pedal.

Honest opinions! May they be harsh or nice!

If everyone hates it or I hate it tomorrow when I take another listen I will literally make a video on youtube where I trash this piece of ****. And that censored four letter word is not "gear".

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah maybe some post processing and a good mix could help but I honestly don't find it as a tone that's gonna sustain a whole mix... why wouldn't they put a custom cab IR loader there? :S that would add a lot to the unit for a very low price I guess... Good for the live sessions and FX anyway I guess... so you know, If you're gonna trash it, send it to me and I can send you something like... my korg nanopad! haha got nothing to trade :C

If you're simply using it for recording purposes, why not just record using the preamp models and use custom impulses.

/2cents.

you can use custom impulses when recording atleast, just use its preamp model and then add a IR loader after it in the recording chain (like leCab or something)

I can get better tones with the Overloud TH2 so I don't need the HD500 for recording. I was kinda hoping I could play live shows with the HD500 but honestly the cabs make everything sound digital. This tone has bass on ZERO and it's still bass heavy. :(

I can't give this HD500 to anyone since then I'd have to go to therapy. It's much easier if I just smash this to pieces...

Sounds a little bit digital to me. And about your live rig, why not use a laptop ( assuming you have one? ) with TH2? Then run it straight to PA if that's possible?
And TH2 really is nice, best commercial amp sim software IMO.

The thought has crossed my mind. I don't have a laptop but it would be best if I had a MacBook running TH2 live.

^ I'll take it from you for 101.

But honestly, it doesn't sound THAT bad. Definitely "useable" if you want sturgis tones :lol:.
Anyway, the POD HD Pro demos sounds really darn good for clean stuff. Distorted stuff is meh, but it gets really good muff and fuzz tones a la Jack White among others. I've honestly thought about getting one just for the cleans, but I recently just got a Fender Blues Deville 2x12 off ebay for cheap and it blows this thing away imo. I'd still be interested in getting one to experiment with some other stuff like ambient and shoegaze tones.

I can get better tones with the Overloud TH2 so I don't need the HD500 for recording. I was kinda hoping I could play live shows with the HD500 but honestly the cabs make everything sound digital. This tone has bass on ZERO and it's still bass heavy. :(

I can't give this HD500 to anyone since then I'd have to go to therapy. It's much easier if I just smash this to pieces...

Do it on a live session we can al enjoy, or just use it as a big fx pedal... =( :Smokin:

if you want better cab sounds run it through a power amp into a cab. the 6505 power amp is your best bed for metal.

Well the POD HD Pro has the exact same modeling as the HD500. It's just a rack version.

^Lol. Ola got some pretty good tones out of this thing too. So it can't really be too impossible to work with.

The tones Ola got were good for his genre but they wouldn't simply cut it in mine. Also Ola uses EQ blocks etc. which are low quality in the HD series. That's not how I run things. I want my tone to come from just the amp and cab simulation so I don't get DSP issues. Also I need all the blocks I for effects etc.

I just don't get it... are Line6 deaf? There's like 20-30dB too much bass in all the amp simulations. Every single amp sim is too bassy. Everyone who has ever played POD HD will agree with me. :yuk:

EDIT: I'm currently running it through a Bugera 2x12 combo. Using the amp sims through a real power amp and cab seems to work just fine.