list your 5 favorite productions of all time

Klimt 1918 - Undressed Momento
Opeth - Deliverance
Carcass - Heartwork
Anger - The Bliss
Porcupine Tree - In Absentias (well paired with their upcomming stuff, judging from "Shallow (Radio Rip)" single)

Type o negative - bloody kisses, Showed that you can have a huge stadium sound without being a cheesy stadium band but by being a cheesy goth band instead.
Machinehead - burn my eyes, If when this didnt comeout you didnt go fuck yeah thats what ive been waiting for then you might be on the wrong site.
Fear Factory - Demanufacture, again it brought so many new things to the forfront of a genre that could have got tired so easily. Set new standards.
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile, even if you dont like the music something about the whole album just sounds right.
Anthrax - sound of white noise, when a great band became one of the greats, awesome sound, great guitar tones, melodies. They started writing sounds instead of collections of riffs and showed there is more to life than just an open e (d, b) string. Awesome.

In no order my current* favourites are:

Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Arch Enemy - Anthems of Rebellion
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Assemblage 23 - Storm
Depeche Mode - Remixes 81 - 04

* My favourite albums change depending on my mood, currently I'm heavily into EBM.

Razorjack said:
In no order my current* favourites are:

Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Arch Enemy - Anthems of Rebellion
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Assemblage 23 - Storm
Depeche Mode - Remixes 81 - 04

* My favourite albums change depending on my mood, currently I'm heavily into EBM.

Here! here! that Assemblage 23 - Storm Album is amazing!

Current Faves (too fickle to say all-time):

Behemoth-Demigod:great drum tone, great mid crunch on the guitars
Gorguts-Obscura:so wiiide sounding and gnarly, fits the songs perfectly
Smashing Pumpkins-Machina:another dirty, dense production by Flood
Machine Head-Burn My Eyes/Ashes of Empires:no comments necessary
Cattlepress-Hordes To Abolish the Divine:great guitar tone by Steve Evettes
Tool-Lateralus:the greatest drum tones I've ever heard
U2-The Joshua Tree
Metallica-Master of Puppets

Destruction - all hell breaks loose (best guitar tone ever)
In Flames - Clayman (I think the production fits the music on the album perfectly)
Carcass - Heartwork (Just fucking amazing, best production ever along with the best songs)
Behemoth - Demigod (this is a recent favorite, except the bass every instrument sounds amazing)
Testament - The Gathering (I like every instrument, including vocals)

Metallica - The Black Album
Creed - Human Clay (Love 'em or hate 'em, this is well produced)
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World

Those are the 3 that strike me at the moment.

dead heart in a dead world
terria
colony
infinity
demanufacture

it's funny, though, how "good" production sometimes makes an album sound really shitty (dimmu borgir). also some of the best albums have what would be considered "bad" production, but are infact produced and mixed perfectly to fit the mood (ie, emperor - anthems).

commandante said:
Destruction - all hell breaks loose (best guitar tone ever)
In Flames - Clayman (I think the production fits the music on the album perfectly)
Carcass - Heartwork (Just fucking amazing, best production ever along with the best songs)
Behemoth - Demigod (this is a recent favorite, except the bass every instrument sounds amazing)
Testament - The Gathering (I like every instrument, including vocals)

the only thing i dont like about clayman is the drum sound...too much treble.

If limited to just metal, these are records that totally blew me away sonically when I first heard them. Records that "changed everything" for me in terms of what music could sound like...

Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Metallica - Black Album
Carcass - Heartwork
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes

Ok, so I was going chronologically and ran out of picks...

On a separate note, it's funny how it's often hard to separate landmark production work from landmark musical content.

You will all think I'm weird, but..

Voi Vod - War and Pain (So much sinister atmosphere in this record. Sounds live, and it maybe is. It was no doubt totally accidental. Whatever they did it worked, and they haven't managed it again since.)

Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals (Only a few good songs, but the production is first rate throughout. The sound just jumps out of the speakers.)

Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos (a first rate modern metal production)

AC/DC - Back in Black (a lesson in dynamics)

Muse - Absolution (A great album for headphones)

Ok, I won't be very original here (and I haven't listened to some of these for years so maybe I'm wrong)...

NEVERMORE - Dead Heart in a Dead World
METALLICA - Metallica
TESTAMENT - The Gathering
FEAR FACTORY - Demanufacture
MACHINE HEAD - Burn My Eyes

I forgot a few:

COC-Blind:for the "in the room" drum tone.
Slayer-Gemini: another live sounding drum tone,
Morbid Angel-Covenant: not the greatest production but it fits the music really well.

For a guitar player I sure do focus on drums!

CARCASS - Necroticism (everyone raves about Heartwork's guitar tone, but I prefer this one, it's simply crushingly heavy!)
DREAM THEATER - A Change Of Seasons
ICED EARTH - Horror Show (that's the perfect drum and guitar sound to my taste!)
METALLICA - Metallica
JAG PANZER - Thane To The Throne (another winner by Morris)