list your 5 favorite productions of all time

What is kind of interesting here is that a lot of albums listed here are repeats, which means that we all kind of like them as favorite metal albums. I wonder if they would still be favorites if they had crappier production. Demanufacture was kind of life changing for me, and i doubt it would have been like that with mediocre production. Kind of scary if you think about it.

1. Darkane, Expanding Senses.. (that kick drum!!)
2. Impious, Hellucinate (absoultely crushing overall sound...)
3. Susperia, Vindication (also killer overall sound, drums are incredible)
4. Dimmu Borgir, SBD and Emperor, IX=...(Over-produced and over-tracked "chaotic" metal...I just really like the effect)
5. Darkane, Insanity. (though the guitars blow arse, drum tone is just unbeleivable.)

I think the reason a lot of us bring up drumtones when we're guitar players is that drums are a big part of the reason metal is so driving. You can play a riff super-fast, but if you get the right drumbeat, it can sound like it's moving at a crawl.

Genius Gone Insane said:
What is kind of interesting here is that a lot of albums listed here are repeats, which means that we all kind of like them as favorite metal albums. I wonder if they would still be favorites if they had crappier production. Demanufacture was kind of life changing for me, and i doubt it would have been like that with mediocre production. Kind of scary if you think about it.

I don't really agree with you. We are listing our favorite productions here, but not our favorite albums. For example, one of my favorite album of all time is Cynic "Focus", but still it's production sucks ! I think none of the albums I've listed as "Top Production" would made it in a "Top Albums"...

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
I don't really agree with you. We are listing our favorite productions here, but not our favorite albums. For example, one of my favorite album of all time is Cynic "Focus", but still it's production sucks ! I think none of the albums I've listed as "Top Production" would made it in a "Top Albums"...

I too Brett!!!!
I think the same same thing! Divine Intervention has a poor production, I think the worstest ever made (to me Enemies of ... is far way better) but it's still one of my favorite records ever made.

Maurizio

Motley Crue - Motley Crue
King's X - Dogman
Fates Warning - Parallels
POD - Satelite
Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait

Soilwork - Stabbing The Drama (and almost everything else by them)
Devin Townsend - Terria
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Machine Head - Through the Ashes of Empires
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Stone Temple Pilots - Core
NIN - The Fragile
Björk - Post (and everything else she's done...)

Iron Maiden - Dance of Death...great dynamics
Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin / Anthems of Rebellion...tight and heavy
Motley Crue - Motley Crue...big fat sound, Smoke The Sky kicks ass...
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon...more symphonies, faster!
Iced Earth - Horror Show / Glorious Burden...great vocalists, killer songs
Overkill - Necroshine...some of the tightest productions ever from Overkill

Just thought I'd throw in a couple different albums with great sounds...

Vai-Vai w/Deven Townsend-(drums guitar and bass all have the right pockets)
Nevermore-Dead heart for a dead world -(guitar tone for years to come)
Diabolic masquerade-Deaths Design- (sick shit,I would hate to mix this one)
Gorguts-From Wisdom To Hate-(Inverted speaks for itself,slow crunch)
Immolation-Unholy Cult-(hope the new cd the drums are not so boxey,Paul did it again)
Iced Earth-"gettysburgh"-(I could listen to this everyday! Thanks John)
Power of Omens-Rooms of Anguish-(technical metal with out the Dream Theater Bordomzzz, J-station recorded guitars ..really tight.)

Yeah, I agree. The only thing I really don't like about 'From Wisdom...' is the production. I'd love to hear those songs with the 'Obscura' production but nothing will ever top that album anyway IMHO.

Mine are:

Metallica: Black Album :hotjump:

Paradise lost: Draconian Times :worship:

In FLames: CLayman and Colony :hotjump:

Devin Townsend Band: Accellerated evolution :worship:

Entombed: Wolverine blues :headbang:

Just a little below: Machine Head: Burn my eyes and The more things... :hotjump: