List your top 3 bands here

Death isnt brutal or technical, they are just DEATH metal.
The sound of perseverance had a progressive element to it, but I wouldnt classify any of their albums as technical death metal.

They are easily one of my favorte bands as well....

putting bands into subcategories is just unnecessary business

Nah it serves a purpose.... when im in the mood to hear a new band, I have an idea what type of music I want, so I tell my friend to recommend something.

I dont want to be given some gay power metal when im in the mood for death metal :headbang:

Awww...poor gay powermetal. :)
Sometimes the amount of categories for metal music seems to be a bit too much...but at least there is a very noticeable difference between genres like power metal and death metal..

Nah it serves a purpose.... when im in the mood to hear a new band, I have an idea what type of music I want, so I tell my friend to recommend something.

I dont want to be given some gay power metal when im in the mood for death metal :headbang:

see, the problem is, that everyone clasifies bands in a different way. from his own point of view. never would have come to my mind to call kataklysm "brutal death"

see, the problem is, that everyone clasifies bands in a different way. from his own point of view. never would have come to my mind to call kataklysm "brutal death"

Definetly, you have to be able to trust the person describing the music. Most people are DEAD wrong.

Kataklysms first couple of albums could be interpreted as brutal by some, but definetly not their last 4 or 5 albums...

My first two bands will always stay like this:

1.Katatonia
2.Hypocrisy

But, THIRD and only the THIRD band...impossible...sorry :cool:

Number 3. could be: Dark Tranquillity, Agalloch, Paradise lost, Rotting christ, Opeth, Novembers doom, My dying bride, Summoning, Edge of sanity, Diabolical Masquerade, Bloodbath....aaaaaaaaaaa....

it's not as bad as i thought i would be, but i have to admit, i would have never guessed mike is growling on the songs. sounds... more brutal nowadays.

WOW, MIKE IS BACK!
thats a nice surprise, I would have prefered Peter but still :D
Im currently at work and collegue is listening to David Gilmour's solo album so you might understand why Im gonna listen to the samples later :p I heard only a second or two of that song that plays on the site and man, I heard growls and blastbeats, AWSUM

As of lately:
1) Hypocrisy
2) Immortal
3) Dark Tranquillity

It's hard to just list three, though.. I listen to all kinds of stuff. Alot of the bands mentioned in this thread are in my collection-- if it's melodeath or Scandinavian I probably like it, have owned it, or have heard it. Any good heavy metal works though, whether it's black/death/power/thrash etc.

Anyways, on a totally unrelated note to this thread (my apologies): What is the difference between the original '94 release of "Fourth Dimension" and the re-release in '00? Nothing different? Just curious.

As of lately:

Anyways, on a totally unrelated note to this thread (my apologies): What is the difference between the original '94 release of "Fourth Dimension" and the re-release in '00? Nothing different? Just curious.

The Jewelcase 94 Release got The Arrival of the Demons pt1
The Digipack 94 got The Abyss instead of TOATD1
The ReRelease has Request Denied (Demo or sth.) and Strange Ways (The 2 Trakcs from the Maximum Abduction Cd) and TOATD1 but no the abyss