Listen to this drum and bass track. Does it sound ok? (Slate, UAD Nigel)

Jul 31, 2012
NJ/NY
For some reason, it's really hard for me to gel guitars over this. Usually my main problem when it comes to drums is my kick is always thumping too hard. I dont have a sub so i cant really tell (im working with hs80m monitors). P.s. this drum and bass track is also running through my mastering chain EXCEPT the limiter. It's running through a compressor, and console saturation. anyway, Here are some questions i have:

-Does my kick hit too hard? everytime i play one of my mixes in my car, it sounds like its overpowering the mix.

Is the bass too loud?

are my drums over-compressed?

Is there anything out of the ordinary?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1qnmpvx38ypmq9/Bass and drum track help UM.mp3

thank guys

Would have to see how it sat in a mix, but sounds good. Seems like there's some wide band bass boost or something but not anything too crazy. I love the saturation, wish I had VCC myself. Sometimes with Waves SSL compression & EQ-ing, I get that cemented in sound where it works pretty good in the mix so really have to hear the rest of the tracks. The bass might even get buried who knows.

Yeah vcc is great! I have it on the drum bus with a SSL Comp, some decapitator and some clipping. There's maxbass on the kick but I don't have a sub and I really don't even know where my kick hits most of the time. When mixing drums, I often reference them through my headphones to see if it sounds ok. Does anyone recommend any good subs to go with the hs80m monitors?

That is a killer bass tone...

I do think it is a bit loud in comparison, but it sounds fantastic..

Were you using the Brit N on the Bass.. That's the one i tend to resort to.

That is a killer bass tone...

I do think it is a bit loud in comparison, but it sounds fantastic..

Were you using the Brit N on the Bass.. That's the one i tend to resort to.

Thanks man! Most of the tone comes from UAD preflex (amp sim). I divided the bass into 3 sections. One is low end, the other is "grit" and the third is a distortion. I used pod farm for the distortion.

Ohh ur talking about the vcc? Yeah idk I gotta check. I usually just put it on whatever sounds best for that instrument.

the bass cud be tiny bit more defined cus times i dont know what pitch is playing, it just sounds like tuned distortion in a way idk how to describe it, but kick cud go down a tiny bit and maybe cymbals up a TINY bit? all in all the tone isnt too bad, maybe add a somewhat noticable transient attack and high pass your kick at like 25-50hz whatever works for you maybe 60hz if you can manage to fill the low end.

sounds good tho!

What do u mean more defined? Should I add some Rbass? I just got done with the full mix (without vocals) ill upload it soon evaluate I need some help on it lol