Listening to March of Progress

I have no idea why you go out of your way to constantly shout down Threshold in as many places as possible. I accept you don’t like March of Progress and are on a mission to spread that word, but only deranged people go around with this kind of aggressive attitude. Your reasons just do not add up and you were set on this being a bad album over a year before it was released and 6 months before it was recorded. Many band members were writing songs for their other projects between the last two albums, so were not just sitting around in their spare time. I fact, both Pete and Richard produced & wrote a whole album in a similar genre.

The gap between our albums is the band’s business and was largely for personal reasons. We are not handsomely rewarded for what we do musically and all work on other things to make our living, so I feel no obligation to accept your baseless rantings. As I said earlier, Threshold are motivated by the passion of making music and we leave people to either like or dislike what we do. We understand your position quite clearly and I accepted other people’s criticism because it was intelligent. You have no facts correct, not reasoning and no class.

I am not one for complaining about downloaders, but would certainly be interested to see if you had ever bought an album. If you have purchased March of Progress I will personally refund your CD if you return it.

Along with Subsurface, I think this is our finest release and remain satisfied with how we spent our time.

After hanging around on this forum for the last few days, therefore being active on a forum for the first time in my life, i am quite saddened to see that there isn't much constructive debate possible. This place makes me feel like i'm stuck between fanatic watch dogs on one side, and useless hackers on the other. But hey, like my girlfriend said, she would too get reaped if she tried to criticize the last Radiohead album on their official forum.

I must thank Karl Groom for his kind and honest answers. For the rest, I admit defeat, simply because with such a stubborn and touchy fan base, Threshold might never get the success they deserve. Well, they can play whatever music they like, and it is great that they can make a living out of their various musical activities. I'll keep loving their tunes for the years to come, but will feel bitter because they will stay in the dark whereas so many other absolutely non "commercial" progressive bands will just keep growing, touring or not touring.

Take care everyone.

i have a question

in the song Liberty, Complacency, Dependency, i cannot understand the spoken lyrics at the beginning and in the middle of the song.

Does someone know from where they're taken or who's speaking?

If not, if someone who understands English better than me could write the text down, it would be much appreciated.

thank you in advance

sorry for the auto-quote, but i'm really curious about this one. On the booklet these words are not present.
Suggestions?

After hanging around on this forum for the last few days, therefore being active on a forum for the first time in my life, i am quite saddened to see that there isn't much constructive debate possible. This place makes me feel like i'm stuck between fanatic watch dogs on one side, and useless hackers on the other. But hey, like my girlfriend said, she would too get reaped if she tried to criticize the last Radiohead album on their official forum.

I must thank Karl Groom for his kind and honest answers. For the rest, I admit defeat, simply because with such a stubborn and touchy fan base, Threshold might never get the success they deserve. Well, they can play whatever music they like, and it is great that they can make a living out of their various musical activities. I'll keep loving their tunes for the years to come, but will feel bitter because they will stay in the dark whereas so many other absolutely non "commercial" progressive bands will just keep growing, touring or not touring.

Take care everyone.

Why leave? I find your comments interesting and I do agree it would be great if Threshold could become commercially very successful. However, how many true Prog Metal bands are? Dream Theater obviously. Who else? There are prog metal bands I like that can't even make a living and have given up, "Everon" for example.There was an attempt to start a music festival, "Fused", I seem to recall for Metal music in Lydney. It lasted one year. I am not sure the audience exists for this type of music. So whatever a band like Threshold do, they stand no chance in teh UK of being commercially successful.

Others like "Dark Water" and "Seventh Wonder" and "Opeth" do well because in their country that gendre of music is more popular. However I wouldn't class them as being massively commercially succesful. Bands like "Symphony X" may chart in the US during their first week of sales, but that's it, one week when all the fans have pre-ordered.

i have a question

in the song Liberty, Complacency, Dependency, i cannot understand the spoken lyrics at the beginning and in the middle of the song.

Does someone know from where they're taken or who's speaking?

Extracts that suited the song are taken from George Carlin the illusion of freedom. Alain de Botton looking at success and failure and an amusing exchange between Jeremy Paxman and Tony Blair.

As Damian and I alluded to in the track by track video, I had the idea based on what we had done on the 1996 Somatography and not on another band’s track mentioned that was probably released years later.

"March Of Progress euphoria" on main page is symptoms of the "star disease" or bravado?:)

An excuse for everything and a reason for nothing. I have several friends in Eastern Europe and understand the economic imbalance. We know why people download from there. What I don't expect is to spend a year working and fretting over an album and then have to listen to this abuse on the band's forum after you took our work for nothing. Don't expect to come along here with your cheap insults and not get a response. Fans of Threshold are not over sensitive, but fail to understand criticism without foundation.

There is a place for criticism and I happily listen to those that present it without an agenda. When you start speaking sensibly with some coherent argument there will be people that listen - including me. You just cannot present things as fact that are not true.

If you had ever gone to a Threshold show, you would see that we are one of the least likely bands to suffer "star disease". This was also one of the factors that got Pete the job when he joined. You can regularly see Damian immediately leave the stage and head into the audience to chat after a show.

Okay, got to listen to it on my HiFi (have the CD) and I have to say that the production is superb. Every instrument crystal clear. It just lets the music shine through. Colophon is starting to join my favourite tracks off the album, I imagine it will a great live track.

We in the band are all very proud of 'March Of Progress', and from what I'm seeing from fans and press alike, is that they love it too.

To smnfdr, you claim to be a fan of Threshold, but I know for a fact that I have never spoken so dimly of the bands and artists I claim to love. Why are you even here if you can't at the very least be civil?.
Sure, I respect everyone has an opinion of their own about things, but that opinion is only valid or properly acknowledged if it is delivered intelligently.
I take offense to the very notion that Threshold suffers from 'Star Disease' as you put it. I know I can speak for everyone in this band when I say that we all, consider ourselves very fortunate to be able to make music at all, and even more grateful that we have the fan base that we do.

I joined Threshold 5 years ago, and I came to the band as a fan. What's more, I'm still a fan, and after having spent many years with the guys on the road, at rehearsals, and in the studio they have not once displayed this characteristic you refer too. Quite the contrary in fact. And while we are on the subject of facts... I think you will find that the record label put that "March Of Progress Euphoria" video together, NOT the band.

It's very simple, if you don't like the new album or the band anymore, go else where. You wont be missed...

Unfortunately i'm listening to the album on Spotify right now, but both cd and lp is ordered and on it's way. On the 2nd spin and this album is a killer, just as simple as that. Everything sounds brilliant and Damians voice sounds better than ever. The band should be proud because this is just pure musical brilliance at it's best.

Everything I've heard from this album is outstanding. One of my favorite releases thus far this year. Definately worth the wait!

Massos - completely agree. The production is excellent. Every instrument shines through.

As far as smvnvfdr - I'm nobody but a fan, and I've exchanged personal emails with Richard West who was very gracious. I also got the opportunity to speak with the guys at PP in '07 - and they were all fantastic. No egos in the band - but they are certainly excellent musicians. They had one of the best sets at PP that year!

I have to say that, listening to Ashes on youtube with my headphones, it comes out that the sound of the snare drum sounds terribly "plastic". Fortunately I listened to the mp3 downloaded via Nuclear Blast, and it sounds soooo much better.

You are wrong. I don't want to provocate. Simply I don't like when people sings the praises when the reality is ambiguous.

Let's talk about album! What do you want to hear?

Putting it bluntly, your comments through this whole thread and the fact that you willfully admit that you have not paid for something label you as a provocateur and a person with few if any scruples.

If you went to a restaurant and left without paying its called stealing. Walking out of a store without paying is called stealing. Illegal downloading is called STEALING! Pure and simple. If you wanted to import something to your country that you couldn't get it is definitely possible. So I suggest you do two things:

1. Stop complaining that the CD isnt available in your country.
2. Download the MP3 tracks legitimately making a viable revenue stream for the artists that you wish to enjoy. Then, and only then, would you be entitled to post LEGITIMATE criticism.

Threshold - in my opinion - have produced an awesome album that stands on its own merits with use of the emotional power of Damians voice and the sympathetic interplay of the rest of the bands obvious skill. The new blood dynamic in the songwriting has broadened a winning formula, and I welcome it. The album contains all of the signature elements of the Threshold sounds and then throws in some wonderful curveballs like"Staring at the Sun" "The Hours". I have 10 favourite tracks on this album.

Well done guys I am currently in negotiations with the wife as to how many tour dates I can come to... :headbang:

Another time - If Nuclear Blast doesn't sell CDs in my country, then blame record label, not me! I want to go to musical shop and buy album but I have no opportunity to buy it. What do you want me to do? To obtain a Schengen visa? Or try to order it from suspicious mail agents to receive it broken? You don't know situation.

Lame excuse, i have ordered loads of cd's from all over the world like Thailand, Japan, US, UK, Poland, Israel, Germany and the list goes on. Bottom line, i have yet to experience to receive a broken cd or cover.

To support a band is buying their albums and go to their concerts. I have travelled to UK, Holland and Denmark to festivals because Threshold have been in the line up.

Plus 5 years of silence;)
Speaking again about this boring point, two things come to my mind:
- richard west, interviewed about the fact that dead reckoning came out 3 years after subsurface, said they waited on purpose to avoid repeating themselves and come up with fresher ideas.
- this question and answer:
q.: Dead Reckoning was toured extensively so do you envisage similar schedules or is it too early to say?
a. (Karl): We enjoyed touring during that period after Dead Reckoning and it helped shape this lineup well. Everything will depend on what comes up and who is available as usual. Personally I also hope to make our tenth studio album as a priority, so not such a long tour as last time.

Topic closed :Smug:

Yea man, I totally agree. I'm sick and tired of hearing people say, "well if albums didn't cost so much, I would buy them"
Hold on, albums cost thousands of pounds/euros/dollars to make. What's more, is the band only see a small percentage of the retail cost back. Why should musicians work for nothing.
Yes we love doing it, but that doesn't mean we should just lie down and take being stolen from. A music career is just as valid an any other career.

Its simply unacceptable. Plumbers/electricians can often charge £90 for half an hours work. Similarly Solicitors will charge a client £100 for a letter sent to them (which is bloody madness)!. Yet everyone just seems to accept that, they still pay it, why?.... because people need Plumbers/electricians and Solicitors. They are skilled jobs that not everyone can do.
Well surely we ALL NEED MUSIC TOO!. the world would be a dull place without it, and often people are heard saying.. "music is my life" or "I couldn't live without music" Well to those people who steal it, start bloody paying for it and show the artists some respect. It ain't rocket science!.

All another examples are incorrect. I am sure that every user of this forum downloaded something for free. Or watch something for free at Youtube.

This is a wrong assumption. Speaking for myself, I download a lot of music from torrents and so, but still buy a lot of cds, especially from those bands that I want to support.
I have all Threshold cd's, including both standard and special editions for the first three (and I will buy the forthcoming definitive editions), a couple of promos, the polish wounded land tape, most of the t-shirts they produced, it's the kind of band that NEEDS this kind of support (while, say, metallica would not suffer much from this. they are already rich enough).