Listening to music that directly defies Christianity

For Alex, lawl, like your religious superstition has been proven? Are you serious?
One, wrong gender, do I have to spell out which parts I have since 3 of you became insulting I see no reason to hold back.
Two, the big bang like all other facts Christians refuse to accept has been well explained by science for quite some time. The first law of thermodynamics bullcrap has been on apologetic websites for as long as you've been alive. Also it's not SOME astronomers, it's according to the VAST MAJORITY of scientists. "Contrary to widespread belief, such an event need not have violated any of the conventional laws of physics. The laws of physics merely imply that a Universe which appears from nowhere must have certain specific properties. In particular, such a Universe must have a zero net value for all conserved quantities. To indicate how such a creation might have come about, I refer to quantum field theory, in which every phenomenon that could happen in principle actually does happen occasionally in practice, on a statistically random basis. For example, quantum electrodynamics reveals that an electron, positron and photon occasionally emerge spontaneously from a perfect vacuum. When this happens, the three particles exist for a brief time, and then annihilate each other, leaving no trace behind."

Don't bother respond with insults, or your started it BS, I'm done in this thread. You 4 are are incapable of adult conversation.

What the hell are you talking about? Its been established that I am an atheist, though I at least think about such matters as the "beginning" of time. In order to take a non-religious perspective you must reject the Big Bang as this essentially confirms what the Bible and other Holy Texts say. It does not make sense at this point in time either as dark matter "expands", though nobody knows what dark matter even is therefore it could have been there forever. There is no proof that the universe, this world, etc., is not going through an endless cycle. There is proof for it though. Just look at some crackpot conspiracy theories, religions, "prophecies", etc., and you will find odd coincidences that may or may not be coincidence.

Also, you madam are the one being childish. Honestly if you wish to debate you do not BS some "facts". You find actual facts. Just because MOST scientists want to belief that God created the universe does not mean he did.

There is a band that sometimes make it nice and sometimes goes too bad, I am talking about Dreamevil, the lirycs like: The Chosen Ones, H.M.J. or Hail To The King, can be very Christian, BUT some of the rest are awfull!

On the other side, there is Megadeth, before their cd, "The System Has Failed all" Mustaine wasn´t Christian, now he is, but Megadeth didn´t change to much, well at least they are not a satanic band but they are not praising God (with the exception on Shadow Of Deth, I love the work Mustain did!!!) what do you think?

What the hell are you talking about? Its been established that I am an atheist, though I at least think about such matters as the "beginning" of time. In order to take a non-religious perspective you must reject the Big Bang as this essentially confirms what the Bible and other Holy Texts say. It does not make sense at this point in time either as dark matter "expands", though nobody knows what dark matter even is therefore it could have been there forever. There is no proof that the universe, this world, etc., is not going through an endless cycle. There is proof for it though. Just look at some crackpot conspiracy theories, religions, "prophecies", etc., and you will find odd coincidences that may or may not be coincidence.

Also, you madam are the one being childish. Honestly if you wish to debate you do not BS some "facts". You find actual facts. Just because MOST scientists want to belief that God created the universe does not mean he did.

lol If you want a debate you refute facts, not just claim they are BS, don't get childish with me again, and don't project it back onto me.

"the best you can do is be silent rather than damaging the Christian example by acting like you don't have God's love."

I wonder about that a lot since I know only 1 christian I can debate with without insults starting up, and yea it looks bad, especially a young person who is still undecided, most of the time you'll make up their mind for them.

Most scientists do not want to believe that, nor do most of them believe it has anything to do with any religion, at all. Genesis (or any other holy text do not describe a big bang), Genesis describes life existing before the sun, etc.

As for Megadeth, I don't think their lyrics were really ever .......offensive. I never got into them, but I love Behemoth, Atheist, Belphegor, Enthroned, Finntroll, Unleashed, Grave, Dismember, Immolation, Suffocation, Infernal Majesty, Misanthrope, Morbid Angel, Rotting Christ, and Steel Attack, all of whose lyrics could be said are not friendly to Christianity. :)

As for Megadeth, I don't think their lyrics were really ever .......offensive. I never got into them, but I love Behemoth, Atheist, Belphegor, Enthroned, Finntroll, Unleashed, Grave, Dismember, Immolation, Suffocation, Infernal Majesty, Misanthrope, Morbid Angel, Rotting Christ, and Steel Attack, all of whose lyrics could be said are not friendly to Christianity. :)

Well, for a non christian it may not be too ofensive but for many christian songs like: The Skull Beneath The Skin, Looking Down The Cross, Good Mourning / Black Friday, Bad Omen to name some songs can make him :devil: but this is the thing that this thread was all about.

From the list that you said...
Behemoth (haven´t eard),
Atheist (Great musicians, awfull voice ),
Belphegor (haven´t eard),
Enthroned (haven´t eard),
Finntroll (I Like the 3 first cds, but when they change the singer the love wasn´t the same ),
Unleashed (I like this crazy old kids specialy the first cd),
Grave (Hear them but not big fan)
Dismember (I Do like them),
Immolation (Don´t like them),
Suffocation (Don´t like them),
Infernal Majesty (haven´t heard),
Misanthrope (haven' t heard),
Morbid Angel (love´ em when I was living in Philadelphia I went to see them live and it was amazing, on the tour Domination 1995),
Rotting Christ (don´t li them),
and Steel Attack (Don´t like them)

Well, for a non christian it may not be too ofensive but for many christian songs like: The Skull Beneath The Skin, Looking Down The Cross, Good Mourning / Black Friday, Bad Omen to name some songs can make him :devil: but this is the thing that this thread was all about.

From the list that you said...
Behemoth (haven´t eard),
Atheist (Great musicians, awfull voice ),
Belphegor (haven´t eard),
Enthroned (haven´t eard),
Finntroll (I Like the 3 first cds, but when they change the singer the love wasn´t the same ),
Unleashed (I like this crazy old kids specialy the first cd),
Grave (Hear them but not big fan)
Dismember (I Do like them),
Immolation (Don´t like them),
Suffocation (Don´t like them),
Infernal Majesty (haven´t heard),
Misanthrope (haven' t heard),
Morbid Angel (love´ em when I was living in Philadelphia I went to see them live and it was amazing, on the tour Domination 1995),
Rotting Christ (don´t li them),
and Steel Attack (Don´t like them)

As far as Atheist and DM goes I like the techy stuff better, but i ignore the vocals, usually only worry about that for prog and power.

But Morbid Angel, Unleashed, Dismember, and Finntroll all have anti-Christian lyrics somewhere, so at least one of ya is not worried about it and that's what I was wonder when i first came to post in this thread.

But Morbid Angel, Unleashed, Dismember, and Finntroll all have anti-Christian lyrics somewhere, so at least one of ya is not worried about it and that's what I was wonder when i first came to post in this thread.

Then you got what you wanted. You are a lucky person. :)

Songs that praise Satan or defy God are not all that bothersome to me, actually, because I see it as the musicians playing a role, almost like an actor. A lot of times they don't actually believe in what they're singing, and things like Spiritual Warfare can have a comic book quality if pulled off correctly. God is powerful, and I think He can take it. As for the bands that really do believe in that stuff, I think they're few and far between, but I probably wouldn't listen to them.

I also don't mind atheist bands with intelligent lyrics. Bad Religion might be punk, but I think it qualifies. If you've seen interviews with them, they're not that aggressive about hating God and actually have a fairly positive worldview. Rush is another example, with songs like "Freewill."

On the other hand, I absolutely can't bring myself to listen to songs celebrating the type of sin we encounter every day. This makes The Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga as morally offensive to me as they are musically. Also, bands celebrating violence against human beings, the type of lyrics you see a lot of in Death Metal, take away whatever fun there might have been in the music. Yes, I know it may also be done for comic book-type violence, but it's just a bit too much. It's for similar reasons that I just can't enjoy games like Grand Theft Auto.

I'm sorry, but most good metal and progressive rock I've encountered doesn't directly defy Christianity at all. It may have some negative commentary in it, but the vast majority of intelligent musicians aim for something more. Even Doom Metal can have wholesome messages (see Trouble and to an extent Candlemass). So I don't run into that much.

Songs that praise Satan or defy God are not all that bothersome to me, actually, because I see it as the musicians playing a role, almost like an actor. A lot of times they don't actually believe in what they're singing, and things like Spiritual Warfare can have a comic book quality if pulled off correctly. God is powerful, and I think He can take it. As for the bands that really do believe in that stuff, I think they're few and far between, but I probably wouldn't listen to them.

I also don't mind atheist bands with intelligent lyrics. Bad Religion might be punk, but I think it qualifies. If you've seen interviews with them, they're not that aggressive about hating God and actually have a fairly positive worldview. Rush is another example, with songs like "Freewill."

On the other hand, I absolutely can't bring myself to listen to songs celebrating the type of sin we encounter every day. This makes The Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga as morally offensive to me as they are musically. Also, bands celebrating violence against human beings, the type of lyrics you see a lot of in Death Metal, take away whatever fun there might have been in the music. Yes, I know it may also be done for comic book-type violence, but it's just a bit too much. It's for similar reasons that I just can't enjoy games like Grand Theft Auto.

I'm sorry, but most good metal and progressive rock I've encountered doesn't directly defy Christianity at all. It may have some negative commentary in it, but the vast majority of intelligent musicians aim for something more. Even Doom Metal can have wholesome messages (see Trouble and to an extent Candlemass). So I don't run into that much.

So you're offended by the mundane rather than philosophical? I'm guessing it's the sexual content that offends you?

So you're offended by the mundane rather than philosophical? I'm guessing it's the sexual content that offends you?

Not just the mundane, but anything that hits as obviously close to home as violence against human beings.

As for music about sex, drugs, and rock and roll, I suppose I just can't remotely relate to it. I don't party, I don't drink or do drugs, and...well, sure, I like rock, but it's not all that interesting to hear people sing about it. On top of not relating to it, I think it's kind of destructive.

Rap lyrics are an example. There's intelligent rap, but that's not what I'm talking about; a lot of the popular stuff degrades women. Music videos will show scantily-clad women gyrating around and whatnot. Not only do I think that's culturally destructive, but I don't find it in the least bit attractive, just kind of gross. I think pop music since the 90's has taken this sort of nosedive, though of course sex always sells.

On the other hand, I can stand Operation: Mindcrime just fine. Not only do I agree with some of the messages therein, but I appreciate even the parts of the message I disagree with, as they serve the story well and they're presented intellectually and/or artistically. And yes, I know that album has sex in it, but it's actually part of the story. It serves a purpose.

Trying to reason out one's own biases, musically or otherwise, is always difficult, but I hope that makes sense.

Absolutely it is difficult to work out our baises, though I am not offended by those things I rarely drink, never tried drugs, though....I've plenty of sex. lol

But none of it bothers me much, others do what they do.

Absolutely it is difficult to work out our baises, though I am not offended by those things I rarely drink, never tried drugs, though....I've plenty of sex. lol

But none of it bothers me much, others do what they do.

I think sex is universally relatable, even to virgins.:lol: That's probably why it's such a persistent theme in music.

The fact is, these things can be handled well in music, I just don't think they are very often. The entirety of "Misplaced Childhood" by Marillion seems to take place during a drug trip, as evidenced by the first track, "Pseudo Silk Kimono." It's a great opener to a fantastic album.

On the other hand, "My Humps" is not a song that deals with sex in a remotely worthwhile way. I won't fault someone for liking it (you can't help the music you like, and hell, I like some music that's every bit as vapid, if not so morally offensive to me), but it's still ridiculous.

When someone chooses to address religion, they're already making an argument. There are bad arguments for and against religion, but they're still something, and if you want your voice to be heard on an issue, well, it better be worth listening to.

I suppose the fact that I listened to punk in my teenage years built up my tolerance for philosophical disagreement. I was and am neither an atheist nor a liberal, but punk bands would promote both of those views. Didn't bother me much at all.