Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Give them nothing.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

-Noodles-

3 Initals Mixer
Dec 20, 2007
Hey guys, got two situations that I'm currently in the middle of. It'd be great if some of you guys could chime in with what you think is reasonable and offer any sort of experience.

ISSUE 1;

I recorded a live show for some friends, out of my own time (and my own stuff) for a band for promotion. They're going places, so I figured better to have my name and no cash than nothing at all.

Everything was agreed on the basis that I mixed and mastered the live show, and got credit. The session was 18 tracks, and just over 65 minutes long.

I got an e-mail last week saying that the band thought the mixes were 'good' but not the right direction. They're not giving feedback on how I can improve, and they want to get the tracks to mix themselves.

The show is an hour long, and I've worked about 6 hours on the mixing and on the night I was there for 6 hours.

ISSUE 2;

I got asked to record the support band, whom I don't know, and they're wanting to buy the stems. Their set was about 40 minutes long, and had a similar number of tracks. Since, again, they want to mix themselves.

Since the first band are my friends and they are going places I don't really want to put myself into their bad books, but I also want money.
The second band I don't mind 'offending' since I did that because I was there already.

So, what do you think I should do? And what's a fair price?

[I've added a poll, just so people can generally give over their views..]

I charge $100 for a 12 channel, 30 minute set, but that includes mixing and mastering (I mix the set as a whole and just automate down vocal reverb between songs).

In situation 1, I would say that band has to purchase the tracks from you, otherwise you won't be getting anything out of all your free work. I would say for the amount of work you have put in and the amount of tracks that at least $200 would be a fair price.

Situation 2, I would charge whatever you feel is fair, all you did was tracking right? No mixing? I would probably charge in the $100 range to get the tracks.

Thanks for the reply.

I have mixed both the sets (obviously to send to the bands) - so I reckon probably 125ish seems fair. I have already done the work, so if they don't want to use it isn't really my fault?

Also, when I deliver the stems - should I clarify what they want, or ask for the money THEN ask for clarification?

I don't want the situation to drag on so maybe money first and then questions?.. either money changes hands soon or I keep the tracks.

Thanks for the reply.

I have mixed both the sets (obviously to send to the bands) - so I reckon probably 125ish seems fair. I have already done the work, so if they don't want to use it isn't really my fault?

Also, when I deliver the stems - should I clarify what they want, or ask for the money THEN ask for clarification?

I don't want the situation to drag on so maybe money first and then questions?.. either money changes hands soon or I keep the tracks.

Yeah--I'd roll with that if you are happy with 125, take care of the money situation first, then work out everything else.

cool - I'll compose the e-mails tonight and wait till tomorrow to hit send.

If you're interested in the files, or anyone else, I'll post up snippets on the "rate my mix" section.

I'm pretty happy with them considering the amount of work I've done to them.. I'm not entirely sure why they're not happy - but I don't really care atm.