Live shows

NinjaSweater

Nov 30, 2011
Skeletonwitch on Friday. Should be fun. Saw them with Black Dahlia Murder and they did a great job.

Abigail Williams comes here 2 days after. Not sure if I'll go cause I'll probably be broke as shit.

Primitive Man -3/6
Rivers of Nihil/ East Of The Wall- 3/15
Nile- 5/10

What shows are you guys planning to go to?

Necro'd, but this is a good one.

I saw the following bands last night:

Pyrexia
Jungle Rot
Kataklysm
Suffocation

The venue was awesome. Fucking Terrence Hobbs was walking around and I got my picture with him. More on that later.

So, Pyrexia was better than I thought. I had previewed some of their shit on Spotify in the weeks leading up to this show. Definitely some good entertainers.

Jungle Rot came up and KILLED! The only album I have from this band is Fueled By Hate and it's a decent album. Kevin Talley from Suffocation was standing next to me and said:

"When did Nathan Explosion join Jungle Rot?"

I thought the front man looked more like Pete Steele, but whatever.

I will definitely be checking out more of that band in the future.

Kataklysm fucking killed. They were heavy as fuck and played a bunch of older shit so that was alright.

Suffocation was one of the best sets I have seen. After 20 fucking years these dudes still have it.

Highlights:

-Getting my picture with Terrence Hobbs and also meeting Guy Marchais at the merch table
-Talking to Derek Boyer about his practice routine for bass
-Buying a beer for Terrence Hobbs and talking to him for a good half hour after the show ended. I asked him how it felt to write some of the best riffs in death metal and he said something that completely blew my mind:

"I think all the older riffs suck. I get tired of playing them"

Truly an innovator on the guitar for death metal.

@Ozzman: Fueled by Hate is one of their best. Also check out Dead and Buried for more of that hardcore-influenced sound, and their first two Skin the Living and Slaughter the Weak for more of an old-school death metal vibe. All very solid albums. Their newer stuff is a bit weaker, although still pretty decent.

And Kataklysm fucking slay live. I feel like a lot of people hear them on album and dismiss them, but it all comes together live. CRIPPLED AND BROKEN

So last night I saw:

Deicide
Septicflesh
Abysmal Dawn
Inquisition
Carach Angren
and local bands:
Beverly Hellfire
Winterhymn
Hell Scorched Earth

I'll give a brief rundown of the main bands:

Deicide:
They sounded brutal. Glen Benton had this nonchalant attitude and at times I felt he was just tired of doing the whole music thing (same went for Jack Owen). He is pretty sarcastic though. Steve Asheim is one of the most underrated drummers in death metal.

People kept stage diving even after Benton told people to stop doing it. I really wanted to see him shoulder tackle someone.

I would also like to point out that the stuff from the new album is actually okay. Really glad this band improved after the awful The Stench of Redemption.

Septicflesh: I want the bass player's body armor shirt

Abysmal Dawn: Blew me away. They were probably the best act of the night. I was talking to the frontman afterward. He's a really nice and soft spoken guy

Inquisition: Wow. Talk about being extremely disappointing.

Everything I heard from these dudes on record is pretty solid, but I seriously want that 30-40 minutes of my life back. If I wanted the vocals to sound like a fucking didgeridoo, I would go to fucking Australia.

Carach Angren: Blew me away as well. Quite the showmen up on stage.

I just found out Tombs and Pallbearer are playing in Champaign (like 45 minutes from here) on Sunday. I'm hoping to make it on such short notice.

I want to go to that Suffocation and Jungle Rot show when it comes to Vegas next week. Money is tight until my next pay day, but I need to make it happen. I saw Jungle Rot a couple of years back and I think they sound better live than on their albums.

Next show for my is Macabre with Ringworm and Panzerfaust.

Oh, and King Diamond on November 1.

I have tickets for Gorguts and Full of Hell shows that are coming up here. Saw Conan recently who ruled. Missed Windhand & Beastwars the other week because I was sick which sucked.

I want to go to that Suffocation and Jungle Rot show when it comes to Vegas next week. Money is tight until my next pay day, but I need to make it happen. I saw Jungle Rot a couple of years back and I think they sound better live than on their albums.

Next show for my is Macabre with Ringworm and Panzerfaust.

Oh, and King Diamond on November 1.
Go to the show. It was one of the best I've seen.

Looks like the Suffo/Jungle Rot tour is not hitting Boston. Considering going up to Montreal to catch it/party with my bros.

Saw Amon Amarth/Sabaton/Skeletonwitch last night.

Amon Amarth has to have one of the greatest stage presences ever.

Skeletonwitch was all instrumental as their vocalist missed the show for some reason.

Wow, I've seen Skeletonwitch like 5 times but I couldn't really imagine them as an instrumental band. Although a lot of their stuff is pretty complex, I wouldn't mind seeing such a set. Love that band, especially the first two albums.

My neck still hurts from seeing Neurosis on Sunday. I've jammed Times of Grace and Through Silver in Blood quite a bit, but most of the set they played was actually from A Sun that Never Sets, which I haven't given the time of day yet.

It was absolutely surreal. I'm so glad I went. They're definitely one of those bands with an indescribable quality.