Live shows

I saw King Diamond last week and was blown away. He sounded great and the band was tight. Pretty good setlist with most of the albums represented. Evil and Come to the Sabbath were incredible.

Seeing Dead Congregation tomorrow. can't wait to hear some Promulgation songs live

Next week im going to see a show at a small venue with:

Pallbearer, Tombs, Vattnet Viskar, and Solar Halos

I'm a big fan of Pallbearer, but not too familiar with the rest of them. Should be a good show.

I saw the following bands last night:

Pyrexia
Internal Bleeding
Jungle Rot
Kataklysm
Suffocation

Caught this one in Montreal last night. Had to leave before the end, but it was a great show. Some dude got knocked the fuck out during Internal Bleeding's set, when they helped him up the vocalist asked if he was okay and then was like "HE'S BLEEDING" and they started up again.

Going to see Manilla Road in a few weeks with some good local stuff, just because I've dug what I heard. What songs have they been playing live lately?

Saw this bill last night:

Carcass
Obituary
Exhumed
Noisem

Noisem was bad and they had sound trouble the entire set.

Exhumed impressed me. I knew nothing about this band before the show.

Obituary came out and absolutely chopped everyone in half (HAR!). Probably the best set I saw other than Suffocation. No Redneck Stomp or anything from World Demise though. I was kinda sad.

Carcass didn't disappoint. Jeff Walker interacted a lot with the fans. Probably one of the more docile shows I went to although my friend got hit in the nose thanks to someone flying around the pit.

I saw Winterfylleth, Voices, The Wounded Kings and some other bands a few weekends ago. It was good.

The weekend after that I saw The Wounded Kings again with Landskap. It was also good.

The weekend after that I saw St Vitus, Wodensthrone, Bolt Thrower, A Forest of Stars, Anaal Nathrakh, Solstafir and some other bands. Also good.

The following weekend, this weekend past, I saw Hooded Menace, Dragged Into Sunlight, The Wounded Kings and some other bands. It was good too.

I don't think I need to see The Wounded Kings for a while.

Writing reviews is hard work. I am sweat.

In two weeks time I will see Primordial, Dead Congregation, Drowned and Malthusian.

The day after that I will see The Ruins of Beverast, Bolzer and Dread Sovereign and some other bands.

I am sure both will be good. I will keep you updated.

Saw Gorguts with Portal supporting last week. Gorguts were amazing. Portal were comically bad. Here are some shitty photos.

Portal oooooh scary
IMG_2995_zps622c01f0.jpg

Gorguts
IMG_2996_zps449057bb.jpg

IMG_2997_zps986e3ecd.jpg

IMG_2998_zpsae2b12a3.jpg

So Prague Death Mass III will be taking place less than 10 minutes away from my home. This will convince me to go if the line up rules, and well, the previous two ruled. I only was to the first one because I didn't have money for the second one, and it took place in a different venue that I don't like all that much.

Noisem is bad. You didn't miss much.

so, I saw Arch Enemy/Kreator last night. Kreator was a monster. It was like listening to a damn album they sounded so tight.

Arch Enemy was alright. Alissa can definitely pull of Angela's stuff. I did go outside for some of the set though because I wasn't as captivated as I was with Kreator.

I did meet Michael Amott in the bar across the street from the venue. I thanked him for being on Heartwork as it was one of the first extreme metal albums I bought. Also chatted with the guitarist from Kreator for a bit.

I was at this gig on the weekend - I'm the only one with blond hair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGVDi-pbuto

Ah! I see you. You must have an awesome time. I recently went to see Arch Enemy and Kreator together at the House of Blues in Cleveland. It was superb!! They both just created an outstanding rock aura together. It was a bliss to watch them. They are on a tour and are going to france, germany, UK, Netherlands, Switzerland, Ireland etc.

Apart from that there are other metal bands as well like Carcass, Obituary, Kvelertak, Mastodon. You can find information about their tour dates and venues as well over here - http://blog.merch2rock.com/metal-tours-2014-fall-winter-dates/

@Ozzman:

I didn't missem intentionally. I still have yet to hear them. A random dude I spoke with outside the venue said he'd never heard them before but he liked their set. I guess I'll be kicking myself later for being a slowpoke that day if I end up liking them too. For all I know the random dude could have been a band member or an associate out fishing for comments/reviews or whatever. I didn't ask but now that I think about it, perhaps I should have. (Like entertaining angels unawares ...)

Regarding Carcass:

Did they go ape-shit crazy with the fogger at your show?

That thing was going off throughout their entire set here. Still a great performance though, especially considering it was the last show of the tour. I didn't see them back in the day. This was my second live Carcass event. Scratched 'em off the bucket list in 2009 - so very fortunate to have seen that one. That said though, I think the new guys are totally worthy of their stations.

Random questions/comments/observations:

* Ben peeled off a skull-splitting solo in This Mortal Coil. His dual with Bill in Unfit For Human Consumption was spot-on too. All of it blew me away!

What’s that technique called in Unfit? Is it trills? Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It's usually the case when venturing into this subject matter. I know what I like but have difficulty articulating/conveying it from a lay perspective.

* The other new guy, Dan, crushed my cranium further with potent blasts, fills, and kicks - No Love Lost intro/solo, et al. I was standing off to the side and couldn't even see him from my location, though I could still hear and feel the vibes.

* Five years later and the older guys still have it too, and they surely did bring it.

* Bill's fretboard fireworks and vocal input. Check.

* Jeff's thunderous thumping, pick flicking, and priceless in-between-song banter. :D Check.

E.g., His 3 IM guitarists question to Ben and his response back to Ben after answering (paraphrased): Ok, back to your cournah. (haha!)

* Lots of hair whipping and milling in this band, very fitting. Ya gotta love it, I know I do. Check. :D :D :D

* The set list was pretty choice as well even though Fleisch (AMF) wasn't in it. But I know they can't do 'em all though, so... Check.

It seems AMF would fit perfectly either fore or aft TGDSM. Not having viewed any previously-posted set lists in advance I half expected it, but nope. Nein. I thought I heard BBTB in there too but it's not in my set of clips and I _thought_ I recorded the whole show. I could've sworn I was singing along during "out damn spot out" but I'm not seeing that clip now. I'm either dreaming it happened or maybe I played Heartwork too much on the way there and back. (heh) My perfect set list would include everything they played plus ACCOB, MOE, and 316LGSS. MOE would've been especially sweet because I sooo wanted to scream out fvcking loud: "Come taste god's own medicine/Dispensed from the horn of the goat". Those 12 words in that particular order, in any language, from rtl, ltr, or whatever, have ignited an interest in rediscovering some of my old DM cds as well as discovering new ones. True story.

* To recap: What I witnessed on Nov 15 was highly intelligent and fabulously executed face-melting pounding metal. What's not to love about that? Check.

Maybe next time for those wish-list tracks in rotation, eh?

Surely God knows when but unfortunately I do not.

Pax,
-R

Reading that makes me cry inside that I missed them in Stockholm. Fuck I need to se them live.
But I will see At The Gates and Grave and Morbus Chron on friday, not even close to Carcass though.

@Qth:

Thanks for your reply! When I started to read it I thought you were going to say you wanted to weep due to the word count.

Do try to catch them next time if you can. I thought it was special but maybe I don't get out enough anymore.

Also, I need to correct an inaccuracy in the previous rave up. The technique question should be in reference to Captive Bolt Pistol, not Unfit for Human Consumption. My bad. Sorry about that!

@Ozzman:

No need to reply unless you feel compelled. A couple of the questions were rhetorical, so answer isn't necessary.

-R

Saw Full of Hell last night. What a bunch of fucking wank. Hipster grindcore can fuck off. They played for under 20 mins with their backs to the audience the whole time. Call me old fashioned, but I like a bit of interaction and perhaps maybe at least half an hour set for a headlining band. I was so outraged I went and yelled at the guitarist after they finished.

Sad I can't see them, not coming to my town and I'm too broke with few others who dig them for travel. Heads up for North Americans who didn't know.

electric-wizard-2015-tour.jpg