Live shows

Shows I'm going to in the next months:

Saturday - The Contortionist/Revocation/Fallujah
March - Lich King (maybe)
April - Viking
May 2 - Testament/Exodus/Shattered Sun
May 14 - Incantation/Funerus/FaithXtractor/Gomorrah/Valdrin

Revocation is said to be worth experiencing live. Didn't Incantation make a statement they are going to play Onward to Golgotha in its entirety? I heard something like that lately.

Revocation is said to be worth experiencing live. Didn't Incantation make a statement they are going to play Onward to Golgotha in its entirety? I heard something like that lately.

Revocation blew me away when I saw the band with Devildriver. Hadn't heard them until that point. Really excited to see them again even though the setlist is only 6 songs :(

Maybe with it being the last night of the tour they'll play a few more.

Incantation playing OtG in its entirety wouldn't surprise me given it's the 25th anniversary of the release.

I'd love to see Revocation now, their live shows are said to be so fucking mind blowing that I have to see them. It would be great to see Incantation play OtG in entirety. Or at least some deep cuts from it, not just Devoured Death or Profanation.

Stoked for dis. Got our tickets already, gonna be a beastly rock n roll show. Although I've been hearing Mastodon is atrocious live, like Deftones live level of atrocity.

71-elg.jpg

Stoked for dis. Got our tickets already, gonna be a beastly rock n roll show. Although I've been hearing Mastodon is atrocious live, like Deftones live level of atrocity.

71-elg.jpg

I'm going to that too.

I've seen some bad live recordings of Mastodon, but I've seen them in person twice and they were great both times.

I actually do dig deftones... After a big fat injection of studio magic.

Anyhow gonna be a badass show, I'm particularly stoked for Graveyard. Not that into Mastodon and Clutch is in Michigan often.

SO last night, I saw:

Toothgrinder
Fallujah
Revocation
The Contortionist

Toothgrinder was entertaining. The vocalist climbed on the huge ass monitors and tried to jump down into the crowd but got caught on some wiring and failed. That was hilarous.

Fallujah is pretty trippy for death metal

Revocation fucking killed as always. The band gets panned here for whatever reason, but Dave Davidson would school all the fucking guitar players here. Very humble dude. I bought him a whiskey/ginger.

Alex Rudinger did guest drums and I managed to talk to him after the show and asked about Conquering Dystopia and any advice he had on drumming for someone starting out. Nice guy.

The Contortionist reminded me of if Tool and Meshuggah mixed their music together. Trippy as fuck and the vocalist was high as fuck. Good set, but fucking long.

Last night I saw:

Shattered Sun
Exodus
Testament

Shattered Sun reminds me of Unearth. Good performance

Exodus had pretty much the same set list as when I saw them last. They did add The Last Act of Defiance which was cool. Zetro is an underrated vocalist for that style and Tom Hunting is an underrated drummer.

My ears are still ringing from Testament. They performed the first two albums and the title track from the third album. That and I got to see Gene Hoglan and Steve DiGiorgio in action.

Notes: I met Robin from Derketa/Gruesome. She looked familiar in the merch line and they had Gruesome ads on the table and I didn't put two and two together until Zetro said something between songs. I told her the album is amazing and asked for her autograph and picture. She was surprised about the autograph.

I went behind the venue and waited for Testament to come out of the bus. Only Chuck Billy came out. I got his autograph and picture. Quiet guy.

I went to Rock in Rio in Las Vegas yesterday and saw the following bands perform:

Coheed and Cambria - not my style

Sepultura - One of my favorite bands and one of the first metal bands I listened to after moving beyond Metallica and Megadeth. Sound was good, but the set list sucked. Jumped into the pit for Refuse/Resist, Propaganda and Arise. Very disappointed that they didn't play anything off of Schizophrenia or Beneath the Remains.

Rise Against - I hadn't heard much of them, but they were alright. I liked them better than the Deftones.

Linkin Park - Never a big fan of these guys, only familiar with their popular songs that got radio play. Entertaining, but not my style.

Metallica - First time seeing them and I was struck by how old they look, made me old to realize I was a teenager watching them on MTV 20 years ago. Lars is rocking a skullet now. :lol: They played a good 2 hour set that appealed to the general audience. My only complaint about their songs choices were the two cover songs they played(Turn the Page and Whiskey in the Jar). Highlights for me were Creeping Death and Disposable Heroes.

Just got home from seeing Lightning Bolt. I haven't had as much fun at a show since Bolt Thrower in 2009. The opening act wasn't very good. The second band was like The Jesus Lizard with a drum machine. Lightning Bolt killed it. Interestingly, there wasn't one electric guitar played the entire night - The Jesus Lizard-like band guitar player had an acoustic with distortion.

Basically, I spent the entire Lightning Bolt set trying to not fall into Chippendale's drum set.

So I saw Incantation and Funerus the other night and both slayed. The McEntees have to be the nicest metal couple in the world. Jill signed my Funerus CD and John signed my OTG LP.

In a mere 3.5 hours, I will be seeing JUDAS PRIEST! I can't wait to cross this off my bucket list. My girlfriend is at Rock on the Range a bit north of here and she said they absolutely killed last night.