Live shows

Nice little handful of shows lately. Overkill/Crowbar then Perturbator then Saxon/UFO last night. WitTR on Saturday then Gost/Dance With The Dead next week and Mayhem/Immolation next month.

I saw Overkill earlier this year and they fucking killed it. What struck me the most was how fucking good Bobby Blitz's vocals were. Top notch live band without a doubt, and probably the most complete band still doing out of the classic thrash scene.

I didnt even know Mayhem was touring again, as it feels like I just saw them with Inquisition (earlier this year). Turns out they are still doing the DMDS set, lol. If I go to the show in NY it would be the 3rd time I see them do the same set. It might be worth it to see Immolation though.

@EternalMetal @Anom@nder Rake you guys know any of lesser billed bands at the show? anyone worth checking out? Mostly going for Elder, Warning, Cirith, Night Demon and Captain Beyond
you'd probably like Crypt Sermon. they're a HM/doom band on Dark Descent records. there are a few electronic/synthwave projects on the lineup but i'm only familiar with Perturbator, Dance With the Dead and GosT. i have no idea what those will be like live

Perturbator is really, really good live. So much heavier than on the albums.

Ill still probably take their set as an opportunity to get a cheeseburger and a beer.

@rms - As for other good bands at this fest, most of the good ones (imo) are concentrated towards the end of nights. Ill second Crypt Sermon as being good, as ive already seen them twice. Also, Boris' Heavy Rocks set is something I am expecting to be pretty great. Unearthly Trance and Bongripper might be good too, especially cause ill probably be stoned for them. Otherwise there are a lot of synth bands that im not really hyped for.

Saw Dillinger Escape Plan play their last ever show in Melbourne last night. Say what you will about these guys being not metal enough or whatever but they brought an unparalleled intensity to the stage imo. Sad to see them go but better with a bang than a whimper.

IMG_0583.JPG

Reactions: EspaDa
Im not even a fan, but ill never forget the time I saw DEP. It was at the first Gigantour back in 2005, and nobody else was playing so we said fuck it, lets go watch them. Even though it was at an outdoor venue with seats in the middle of the day, they played like they were at a club. The energy these guys produced was among the most intense ive ever seen until this day. The guitarist was playing like he was having a seizure, and the frontman was going completely crazy. He was jumping all around and in the end I think he threw 2 or 3 of the drummer's cymbals into the seats of the stadium before the set was over after throwing them across the stage and just going nuts. I still have yet to see a band play with this level of intensity. I have been meaning to see them ever since, but it just never worked out unfortunately. Id have loved to catch them at a club or some other smaller venue.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
I've seen them about 7 or 8 times I think and they always brought the same amount of energy every time. I have no idea how the fuck they do huge tours and do that night after night without killing themselves. Kinda understandable that they're calling it a day I guess.

Overkill/Crowbar

I saw Overkill earlier this year and they fucking killed it. What struck me the most was how fucking good Bobby Blitz's vocals were. Top notch live band without a doubt, and probably the most complete band still doing out of the classic thrash scene.

Saw this show too and agreed, Bobby Blitz is definitely the best frontman I've ever seen and the show was great overall. For the Overkill/Crowbar show, seeing Black Fast and Havok supporting was nice too, not really a fan of the latter but they came across well live at least (audience seemed about as excited to see them as Overkill tbh).

Glad I went through with giving Wolves in the Throne Room a second chance. Their performance tonight was way better than the first time I saw them. Excellent setlist. The opening act, Pillorian, was some fairly enjoyable Agalloch worship.

Looking forward to Dream Theater on Thursday.

Flaming Metal System
Open the Gates
Masque of the Red Death
Death by Hammer
Hammer of the Witches
Witches Brew
Divine Victim
Mystification
Road of the Kings
The Ninth Wave
To Kill a King
Cage of Mirrors
The Ram
Necropolis
Crystal Logic
The Veils of Negative Existence
The Riddle Master
Heavy Metal to the World

Yeah pretty sure that's somewhat out of order, I was pretty fucking stoned during the show.

I saw they were playing a small joint here but only found out the day of the show and had other plans. I'm not a fan of their last few albums but would have been cool to see them.
Yeah def. worth seeing them, lots of energy and magic for a small show. Plus it was fun watching Hellroadie poking fun at Mark Shelton for being an old fuck.

I can kinda see why they don't play it much, most casual fans of the band aren't all that familiar with Metal(half the crowd seemed like they didn't know the song) Yeah they opened with Flaming Metal System.