Living The Metal Life

Hey Novembers Doom,

I just have a question I've always been curious about. What is life like for Novembers Doom? You're a successful (but underground) metal band. Do you guys still have full-time jobs? How hard is touring, if so? What kind of recording and touring support do you get from The End?

I've always wondered what reality is like for bands I think are very successful, but the mainstream world is still woefully unaware of.

- Justin, FoE

Well, I snuck backstage at one of their gigs at the ALLSTATE ARENA here in Chicago last year. Let me tell you man, it's all hookers n blow!

Manowar have nothing over these guys...

Oh I know what ya meant. I am just playing.
I will let the lads speak for themselves, though I am pretty sure they all have day jobs.

ND aren't the type of band that spends 10 months out of the year on the road.

Hey Novembers Doom,

I just have a question I've always been curious about. What is life like for Novembers Doom? You're a successful (but underground) metal band. Do you guys still have full-time jobs? How hard is touring, if so? What kind of recording and touring support do you get from The End?

I've always wondered what reality is like for bands I think are very successful, but the mainstream world is still woefully unaware of.

- Justin, FoE

Everyone in the band has a day job. Novembers Doom in a glorified hobby for us, and we don't live off of the music at all. Any money the band makes, usually goes back into the band, so we have as few "out-of-pocket" expenses as possible. Even with label support, you can expect to dip into personal funds for some things. Touring is hard on us, just getting the time away from jobs and families make it more difficult today, then if we were all teens or early 20's again. Most of the band is mid 30's now, so responsibility takes precedence over the band.

We're getting more opportunities now then we ever have, and things get easier because of good guarantees when we play. Keep this in mind... The more often you choose to to pay your own way, or play for free, you'll always be remembered as the band who will be cheap for the promoter. It's necessary in the beginning, but when we decided to set standards, we certainly lost out on some opportunities, but it's worth it now.

I consider myself to be a "professional musician", though I make very little money from being such. Doing this has become, as Paul stated, a "glorified hobby" for me. Unforunately that was not always how I perceived it to be, and I had wished it would be more than just that. But the realities of life and the music business have set in over the years, and now we feel lucky just to be where we're at and to have accomplished all that we have. I've realised that in order to really make any sort of worthwhile career at playing music for a living, I'd have to either a.) play a very different kind of music, something more "commercial" per se, or b.) have gone about certain things in a very different way much earlier on in my life, when I unfortunately didn't know any better. Even alot of the "successful" bands out there who are living off of playing in metal bands aren't exactly rolling in the dough, and many of them are not making enough money to be able to set themselves up for the rest of their lives. All you have to do is watch VH1 and watch those "Where are they now?" programs to see how it works. Artists who were at one time all over the radio and television are now working in software companies or advertising agencies or something. Less than 1% of musicians truly make a career out of writing and playing music.

In addition to my regular job, I play with cover bands on the side. I'm not embarassed by that fact even if people want to think it's "unmetal" or some other silly bullshit. I enjoy playing all kinds of music and I think I'm fairly good at it, and I can make good money doing it. Would I prefer to be playing only my own material and making money doing that? Of course I would. But that's not the reality of this biz, sadly. And I'm no longer the adventurous 21 year old kid with a guitar and a dream, who'll live in a van, "eat dirt" and play every shitty gig given to me in the hopes that I'll "make it big" and be on MTV, just to have my band become uncool within five years, lose a member to drug addiction, and wind up in debt and playing festivals in podunk-land off of my former glories. Many people in the biz would like you to believe that it's "the way to go" if you want to "get big", but I'm a bit too old and wise for that scheme now. But if you're young and hungry, hell go for it, you've got alot less to lose then.

The metal world is definitely tough to make a living in......but make no mistake, even in the "mainstream" world, job security and making a real living are very rare. You've got a better chance being able to support yourself down the line if you have a good janitor job than having a top 40 hit. Some artists are smart enough and lucky enough to mine that into future gold, but it's much fewer and farther between than you might guess.

And with it being more difficult than ever to control things like illegal downloading and poor concert attendance figures, it's really a gamble trying to make a living in this business. Good luck to all you guys n gals out there trying to make your mark. As I said before, I'm just grateful for the opportunities we've been lucky enough to have and experience!

Oh, another couple short notes (yeah I never know when to shut up lol)....

We can't divulge exact numbers or anything but The End are very good to us when it comes to recording budgets and stuff. Obviously we're not getting Metallica type recording scenarios but I don't think that's necessary anyhow. We're fortunate that we're in a position where we get support like we do to make the kind of albums we want to make. Getting to work with the engineers, producers, and artists like Swano, Kernon, Murphy, Travis Smith, Chris D., etc.....we're very fortunate to be able to have done that. Touring is a whole 'nother bag of rocks I don't even have the time and energy to delve into right now, sorry :D lol

BTW, Fall of Empyrean is cool stuff, good luck Justin.

Such a bleak outlook, but Very Very true.
Sometimes I say is this really worth it? Most of the time it's not lol.
But the few truly great times where we had awesome turnouts and hung with the coolest people, and had fans ask for autographs and you see people truly getting into Your music, Yeah, that make's it worth while. Man, though the older you get, the harder it gets. I find it harder to write these days because when you were young, you could spend 14 hours a day in your little doungon and write music all damn day. Now, with a kid and a career, it's not so easy especially when your career is Laying 100 pound blocks year round. Add in the fact that you have 4 or 5 even 6 other members to have to teach, book, promote, do the mail orders, record, proofread, website, artwork man, it never ends! And there is no time and no money to re emburse your troubles. ND are much bigger than we are, I can only imagine how crazy it must get! I go to the post office once a week and It's hard enough, lol, they must go 40 times a week. And the price of postage, jesus!!!!!!
before I go off an a huge rant, My point was, what was my point? Ohh good luck lol. FOE are awesome, keep it up, you never know guys!

I find this thread very interesting.

As for helping out you Justin, that is a no brainer for me as I have enjoyed knowing you and Richard the years I have been here in Arizona.

My musical skills have lacked due to my lack of patience so I make up for it for helping those with the talent who really deserve to be known more such as Fall of Empyrean, Woods of Ypres, Novembers Doom, Agalloch,etc. I would knock on everyone's door but the cat can't stay home alone!:loco: :erk: :lol:

I just want to clarify that this isn't really a "What can FoE expect?" since I know we aren't going to make shit off the band. I was just curious, since Novembers Doom has been around a while and their one of the elder statesmen, so to speak, for US doom.

We'd love to make it out to Boston. We're still minus a second guitar player at the moment, so shows are a little ways off, but we're hoping to do at least a short (4 or 5) date West Coast thing this year. I remember a couple of years ago, we almost did something like that with Novembers Doom, but the promoter didn't do too great of a job putting it together.

Dan: Like I said after Gigantour...anytime you need proofreading, send shit my way. Hell I'd even take on answering your emails but as I'd be making shit up... it's probably not a good idea.

Ha ha ha, Well, that would have helped when the new album came out 2 months ago. lol There are some fuck up's in there that got overlooked after 15 forwards and re pasting and so forth. If you were serious, I could use the help. Even though, with 8 members you would think it would be easier as far as that stuff goes. But I basically get stuck with the bulk of everything when it comes to the band. Not that I am complaining. cause' I am greatful that we have gotten this far.

How's the Wii treating ya?

The sad reality of things is people tend to be shallow. Your music might well slay but becoming known as "the band that used the wrong form of 'your'" is entirely too possible. Even if you think of that, these are busy times for everybody involved. Mark has a new wife, Mike got a new job, drummer Dan is preparing to make his next heartfelt departure, you're sorting out the female vocal mess, adding a new guitarist, raising a baby girl so if linguistics ain't your passion... chances are shit will suffer. But yeah... any band I like who needs my help just has to ask. I've been helping Frozen get shows, co-admin an SYL fansite, did that shit for Jason from Agalloch so if you need assitance just send me whatever at the gmail address.
The wii is finally working right. Turns out I never tweaked the wifi settings properly. Didn't really occur to me because the thing was my Twilight Princess machine. Then I beat that and started trying to dick around with its other functions. Problem was I'd launch an app and the bloody thing would stay on the "now loading" screen so long I'd swap the TV over to a DVD, forget about it, and go back 6+ hours later to find it still loading. Turns out the wii just doesn't deal well with losing its Internet connection. Reconfigured the wifi router and now have Super Mario Brothers on there permanently.

Totally off-topic, but there needs to be some kind of West Coast metal thing, for the doomier bands out there. There are a few west coastish bands (us, Agalloch, Asunder, Graves at Sea, Keen of the Crow, etc.) but if a few of the other bigger bands made it out here, that'd be awesome. Everything metal seems to occur on the East Coast.

Unfortunately it really requires a ballsy promoter or two out west to step up to the plate and make it happen. We'd love to play out there but the problem has always been the same....sure we could find some club to have us all play but the money would be zilch, and we'd have to pay our way there and so forth. At this stage of the game, we just can't afford to do something like that out of our own pockets, at least not completely. If a really lucrative tour or fest was being put on out west, we'd do our best to be there. But until that happens, we have to go where we're wanted and where we're able, and so far that seems to predominantly be on the East Coast.

Killer thread here. Very interesting to say the least.
Recently getting into Novembers Doom because of novella reservoir especially.
You guys seem real down to earth unlike some of people on these forums
Im from southside chicago...just curious from which part of the CHI you guys are from. KEEP IT DARK
"chris the greek"

South-siieeeeddde! jk
Cool man...cant wait to see you guys at pearl room
And since you're a southsider like me i assume your die hard SOX fan as well??