Local news

On a side note, I realized I've never met a Jew.

That's strange. What happened to your Jews during WWII? We managed to save ours from the camps, so we still got quite a few, though a lot of them went to Israel after the war and some more left when communism ended.
I've met quite a few. My grandma's best maid (?) (кума in Bulgarian) was Jewish, the woman my mom shared a lab with is also Jewish - I used to go to her to explain math to me, but in the early 1990's she and her entire family moved to Israel, I had a Jewish teacher in school, a very good friend of mine is Jewish, so is his wife, my current boss is Jewish and I know several others as well.
I guess I get along with them pretty fine.

That's strange. What happened to your Jews during WWII? We managed to save ours from the camps, so we still got quite a few, though a lot of them went to Israel after the war and some more left when communism ended.
I've met quite a few. My grandma's best maid (?) (кума in Bulgarian) was Jewish, the woman my mom shared a lab with is also Jewish - I used to go to her to explain math to me, but in the early 1990's she and her entire family moved to Israel, I had a Jewish teacher in school, a very good friend of mine is Jewish, so is his wife, my current boss is Jewish and I know several others as well.
I guess I get along with them pretty fine.

A large number of Jews (and Serbs, and Roma etc.) were killed in various concentration camps throughout the country, but that's a pretty controversial topic even after more than 60 years since the war. A number survived the war, IIRC, but there were never that many Jews in the part of Serbia where I live. At least, not in Leskovac. I think there are maybe a few families left, but I don't know those people.
There's gotta be Jews here in Niš, where I am located now, I know where the synagogue is (not far from my little apartment), but I haven't met any as far as I know.

Thinking about it, I realized I have actually met a Jew, once - or at least that's what I'm told. The guy was a douchebag though, wish I never met him.

Also, кума is same in Serbian too.

Anyway, some local news:

There's been a lot of controversy over a decision conducted by our brilliant government representatives and Serbian Orthdox Church regarding Nikola Tesla's remains.

1586068258531b1ad250a20742335557_300x199.jpg

The golden sphere carrying his remains has been part of Tesla Museum in Belgrade for the past 57 years, and now these smart people have taken a decision of moving it to a church.
Well, not gonna happen.

738745072531b1ae795d93653773315_300x189.jpg

A protest was held in Belgrade today in front of his museum which attracted around 1000 people, including many known scientists, writers, journalists, artists, musicians etc. An online initiative called #OdbranimoTeslu/Ostavite Teslu na Miru (Defend Tesla/Leave Tesla Alone, respective Twitter and Facebook pages), under whose banner the gathering was held, has over 35,000 people supporting it online and is growing.

1072242658531b1af99fca5823965871_300x197.jpg

"Tesla brought light, don't leave him in the dark"

The protest was a success as the decision to move his remains has been "frozen" for now.
'Twas a fine day.

907673139531b1b03876c0867008358_300x450.jpg

"I'm not worried about them stealing my ideas, I'm worried that they don't have any of their own." - Nikola Tesla

I like this girl's hair.

In other news:

The "official" advertisement about Amo gig posted on Facebook event page (I dunno why it won't link properly).
Do yourself a favor and watch the last 10 seconds of the video, at the very least.

The same page has around 200 people labeling themselves "going" to the concert.
On one hand, I'm happy there will be a small number of people (personally, I don't think there will be more than 350 people), but on the other hand, I'm worried the concert might get cancelled, but I believe Amo played in front of the smaller audience.
Apparently, this years is rich in terms of metal shows and related genres - we've had Napalm Death & Hatebreed the other week, Iced Earth little before that, there is Pestilence on the way, some metal fests featuring various Serbian bands too, plus the dominating Iron Maiden - not many people will pay visit to an Amo gig midst a financial crisis and metal abundance like that - vest metalheads, as trin likes to call them, probably won't.
Which is great, majority of those fucks get on my nerves.

tl;dr
Nothing to see here, move along.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Balkans' cold air is coming from Siberia, looks like it'll get back to normal soon. We should be getting more wintry weather next week as well... never during my 27 years of life have we had pretty much no snow here in early March.

What black market?

Not a black market in a real sense, it's too harsh of a word, it's more like a "grey market", if my terminology is right.
You've got stuff sold there for laughable prices and often of decent quality, apparently some stuff by real brands and manufacturers sold illegally (not crappy copies), and there's even legit stuff that's cheap.
I mean, I'm from Serbia, it's not like we don't have any of that, we do, of course, especially with Kosovo serving as a hub of black market (both the black market and this "soft" form) distributing the goods everywhere, but Bulgaria sure is something too. The stuff brought from the east, stuff from EU that is way cheaper because you're in EU too, food especially... it's really great, at least for a foreign consumer like me. I imagine it is a nightmare of corruption for the country,

It's probably Ilientsi what you're talking about. Trust me, it's gotten a lot more legal than it used to be.

I am mildly excited and in blissful anticipation of tomorrow's gig. I've sorted out the details, the photo permit and my special request, so let's see...

Amorphis have safely arrived earlier today:

10001517_10152067878063635_106837717_n.jpg

And, no, this is not in the ghetto. This is downtown Sofia.

It's probably Ilientsi what you're talking about. Trust me, it's gotten a lot more legal than it used to be.

Ilientsi, and several other places whose names I don't know.
Yeah, heard that it got more legal. Dunno if that is good or bad.

Btw, did you receive my pm earlier?

Also, you took this photo?

Btw, did you receive my pm earlier?

Also, you took this photo?

Yeah, I saw it yesterday and even replied. It's just that I seldom check my PMs in the forum ;)

No, I didn't take that photo. I am not stalking them or anything :saint: But I do have a sort of an appointment with them tomorrow. Which reminds me that perhaps I should come up with some smart questions. Make sure that you listen to Tangra between noon and 4 PM, if you can. But even if you can't, I'm sure they'll record the interview and put it up for listening.

Oh, I've just seen the reply now. Okay.

Ask them why are they so reluctant when it comes to setlist changes and are they planning on taking some steps in experimental direction with their future releases, because Circle didn't have "e" from "experimental" nor "i" from "innovative". Maybe in some very, very, very mild, almost invisible, traces.

But I wager that's a kamikaze question, and you'll get permabanned from talking with them.

But I wager that's a kamikaze question, and you'll get permabanned from talking with them.

Depends on whether the manager will be there or not. - I do have a history of arguing with him, though I don't recall any of it. But there are reliable witnesses who claim I was trying to convince him that they're not leaving the premises of a Romanian bar, six years ago. Perhaps he doesn't remember that either, or he would've gotten a restraint order a long time ago. :saint:

But if I get the chance, I will ask some questions. And I'll do my best not to be too arcane. I am sure I will do better than the good old tired RJ, who will definitely be hung over and most likely will be asking the same old banal questions.