Local news

Send all that water our way. Southern California is in a severe drought and only has a year's supply of water left. :OMG:

(More if we ration it, but I'm not expecting much in the way of courage or leadership from our elected officials outside of the governor.

For a start we could put pressure on all those bottled water plants in the area that are shipping what water we do have away.

ETA: Not a big deal though, right? There's only 22.5 million of us living here. What could possibly go wrong?

Unusual May time windstorm hit western and northern parts of Finland yesterday. Wind gusts were widely over 20 m/s and locally exceeded 25 m/s in convective rain bands. Oulu got hit pretty much right on, even though the strongest observed gust was about 100 km east. Local rescue units had over 200 operations during the day.

Image gallery

xlarge-eb6b6987801d4426a8e0745b9427118a.jpeg

So I cut off my mane of half a meter - for free. I donated it to a charity which collects hair for children which suffer from cancer - for wigs and such.
In any case, feels a bit weird, but really good.

Possibly the first good thing I've ever heard about someone cutting their hair. ;) Much respect!!!
Hug.gif

Thinking of hair, good causes and some of the comments I've seen on FB this spring, I think Tomi J could have raised an admirable sum by auctioning his dreads off for charity. Wonder if they'll end up in next to his old microphone in the Lohja town museum instead... :D

Aww guys, thanks. I didn't really mean to post that to gather praise, but thank you really, a very nice thing to say.

As for Tomi J's dreadlocks, here's a funny story, tangentially related - I know this one guy, he is a huge Amorphis fan, especially of Tomi J and he basically made his look and image like Tomi's - dreadlocks, similar beard, style of clothing etc. - and now since Tomi has cut his dreadlocks, this dude is in a kind of mild depression. Having idols isn't such a good thing I guess.

Shit, my order of the book and the t-shirt from Levykauppa X is taking forever to arrive. I placed the order on July 15, it has been shipped on the same day, but it still hasn't arrived. Now I see the point about how unreliable the Finnish post is. Or maybe it's the Bulgarian, though, knock on wood, they haven't given me serious reasons to complain recently.
I am getting mildly annoyed already. :yuk:

Shit, my order of the book and the t-shirt from Levykauppa X is taking forever to arrive. I placed the order on July 15, it has been shipped on the same day, but it still hasn't arrived. Now I see the point about how unreliable the Finnish post is. Or maybe it's the Bulgarian, though, knock on wood, they haven't given me serious reasons to complain recently.
I am getting mildly annoyed already. :yuk:

My packages from Finland often take over 3 weeks to arrive, but that's all, no other problem.
My country isn't EU though.

My packages from Finland often take over 3 weeks to arrive, but that's all, no other problem.
My country isn't EU though.

Yeah, well, maybe they take the short route through Bolivia. Usually whenever I order something from the UK or, say, Germany, it takes anywhere between a week and 10 days, sometimes a bit longer, but not too often. We'll see...
It's just that I'm a bit impatient. Not that I'll understand much from the book, but I was told it has nice pictures ;)

Last month I got a letter from Germany, just a regular letter sent by priority air mail - supposedly. Given that it had been posted almost a month earlier, I'm not sure what route it actually took and by what means. :p Hope you'll get the book eventually, I'm sure you'll be able to figure out the basics since you know some Finnish and are familiar with the general background. I read the whole thing almost in one go, with only one interruption due to the need for a few hours of sleep. ;) Quite a good read it was!

Question, I'm from USA:

Why doesn't Amorphis ever play in the states? Do they feel they couldn't draw a crowd? Would love to see them even if it's supporting another band.

Saw them at Wacken yesterday, wow, what a show.

The Amo guys have said that they did not tour in the US since the Silent Waters tour because the offers have not been good enough to warrant it. North America is huge and Amorphis has no radio support here, so there are only a few big cities where they are guaranteed to get a decent crowd and a lot of driving in-between (not to mention the cost of shipping all the equipment). It's like carrying water in a leaky bucket. They fill up in New York and hope that by the time they get through California there is still a bit left in the bottom to bring back with them.

So glad that we caught them the last time through. Hope we get the chance to do so again.

From the new Amorphis book (my quick translation, sorry if my English is a bit rusty these days... :p ):

After the tightly scheduled festival summer [of 2008], Amorphis went to North America, where the reception was stalling badly. In the big cities it was decent, but on the periphery audiences counted in the dozens. The tour left a feeling of frustration. The resources of the record label's local branch barely covered anything, and the earlier success seemed to have faded into nothingness. Visas and flights had cost a fortune, distances between venues were enormous and the support was nowhere near the European level. It looked like Amorphis simply could no longer afford to tour North America. And so far it has been their last extended visit there.