London 2003 Bootleg up for grabs...

Graveless Soul said:
Sorry, I really didn't want to get involved with this anymore. But in quoting the above, but I'd like to give another side of the arguement here.

I have to say that I've sent nearly 400 CDRs to various people all over the world and so far not one has been scratched. Skyshock1 - try putting them in some kind of padded envelope....

...actually couldn't you just send this studio some MP3s /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif ...

Russ

PS - the only actual reason I'm still getting involved is that it keeps knocking this post up to the top to give the people who may have missed it a chance to sign up /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
I did send the CDs in a padded envelope, but UPS managed to fuck them up everytime when I overnighted them. I think they stacked freight cargo on top of them. Someone must've been shipping refrigerators or something!
zombie.gif

In my case, an MP3 file done at 320kbps and 96khz would have sufficed, but the compression ratio was so minimal at that point, and since CD's are such a cheap medium these days... well you know how that goes. /forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Add to that the fact that we were using high quality condensor mics (we're talking $2,500+ USD) and Avalon Class-A mic preamps with NOS mullard 12AX7 preamp tubes, well, it just made sense for us to take advantage of a high sampling rate .wav file. !
headbob.gif
!
headbob.gif
!
headbob.gif

Now a bootleg concert done with a Shure SM58 and a Sony MD on the other hand? You see where I'm going with this. Just another big circle. Blah blah blah.

skyshock1
I have never said in this thread, or am an audio snob, or tried to boost my ego by mentioning that I can get good quality recordings from shows.
If anything your the one who's tried to make your opinion more valid by stating you are an IT guy and a part time studio engineer.

I was replying to the guy that commented about shitty audience bootlegs, I was merely trying to point out that these days there are some pretty good audience boots, that are 'almost' as clear as you'd get from the soundboard.

My original point was, that you can get a good recording, by using quite cheap equipment.
Which is all relative, it is a bootleg and of course you recording is only as good as you equipment allows. Only as good as the house sound on the night of the show. The hardest part is finding a good spot to stand and keeping away from talkers.

Your original comment about no difference between a .wave file and a 192kpbs mp3 still amazes me.

Do this little test and then I hope you can hear some difference.

If you want proof that the different bitrates/forms actually sound different, go into your winamp EQ, click Presets, then Load, and select Rock. Now, without adjusting ANYTHING and using that EQ preset, listen to an mp3 in 128, 192, and 320, and then listen to a wav.

Still there are lots of different mp3 encoders around, I've used many and even at 192kpbs, there is a difference in quality between programs like X-Ing, Audiocatalyst, Music Match and quality ones.

Me too never had any problems with cd's getting damaged in the mail.
Padded envelopes and jewel cases are wonderful inventions :)

Bottom line is, there are lots of people like me who won't trade mp3 sourced boots, BUT I'll gadly take them if there isn't anything else.
As they are better than nothing.

Right, that's it people, time's up! The sign up for this tree has now closed.

Everybody who has signed up over the last week should expect an email from me in the next couple of days with the tree structure.

I didn't expect it to create the kind of debate it did, but let's hope this works successfully so we can do more in the future. I hope everyone enjoys the show.

Cheers

Russ