Longboard skate

narcossintese

Nov 4, 2008
Brazil
www.myspace.com
From what I´ve read on this thread, many of you skate or used to skate. Are any of you into longboard skating? I tried a few weeks ago and loved the feeling, so I bought myself a cheap ass longboard this week.

I´m not into the extreme part of longboarding (going downhill, super fast, doing dangerous slides or tricks, etc). I´ve only skated for a few months when I was like 12 years old with a regular board but never managed to pull any cool trick and lost interest. Discovering longboard has been a very surprising thing to me. It´s ridiculously easy to ride (unless you´re into the crazy stuff). It´s so simple and stupid, yet makes you feel so much better. It´s amazing how a 30 minutes ride can totally reset your spirit. Just surfing the asphalt, feeling your body balance, the music on ipod or the delicious sound of wheels, wind on the face. No worries, no pressure, no injuries, no competition... just enjoying the ride. I really recommend it even if you never touched a skate before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can somewhat ride a skateboard, as soon as I step on a long board I am always falling over in either direction. Then again I have always been a bike type of guy. Sweet video, nothing like the feeling of windy roads with the wind in your hair on some sort of manpowered device.

Hells yes. I go longboarding practically everyday, it's pretty amazing. I can't do any crazy slides or anything, but I can carve pretty well and have owned some pretty terrifying hills. One of the more fun things I've found is to go to an unused parking garage. You can ride down, then just take the elevator back up again. There was a huge one my friends and I went on for a couple hours that probably took 6 minutes to get from the top to the bottom. A cop showed up and said we couldn't skate there anymore, though haha.

Right now I currently rock a 'normal' skateboard and can do the cool shit like 360 flips, nollie varial kickflips etc etc, but this will be my last normal skateboard, since unless you're doing it professionally, it just costs too much money to do this kind of skateboarding when you're a musician and into doing weights.
Plus the wheels aren't comfortable for a wide range of surfaces, only smooth surfaces, whereas long boards give you a smooth ride on any surface.
Also, getting injured sucks, another reason why I wont be skating this style for much longer and want to get a long board.

I'll get some super whiz bearings, throw them in the wheels and I'll be the smoothest sailing longboarder in town once I get around to getting a long board.
A lot of people get put off from skating cos they see all these crazy as fuck guys like Rodney Mullen and Daewon Song and say "I'll never be able to do that!".
I recently got a female friend of mine into actually getting onto a skateboard and riding it without falling flat on her ass all the time, and she says she might even get a longboard one day too, which is awesome.
Would be awesome to see more people cruising around on longboards.
A great idea for people wanting to exercise, but find stuff like running to be boring. So much fun to skate and a great social activity that brings people together.

If it's just for riding, I'd rather skate on a regular board with bigger/softer wheels because of the lower manoeuvrability of the longboard.

Longboards are the best rides for hi-speed downhills anyway.

I <3 Long boarding. Very relaxing when your surfing the concrete!

My wife just got me a sector 9 flex bamboo board for my b-day not to long ago. Lets just say I have been enjoying this cooler weather down here in Texas :D

If it's just for riding, I'd rather skate on a regular board with bigger/softer wheels because of the lower manoeuvrability of the longboard.

I like the smooth feeling of making turns on longboard, people say it´s like surfing. Also love the big board, so I can walk around it, "dance", trying different stances without fear. IMO regular skateboards are too unforgiving on this aspect, I make the slightly mistake and my whole balance is gone.

I recently got a female friend of mine into actually getting onto a skateboard and riding it without falling flat on her ass all the time, and she says she might even get a longboard one day too, which is awesome.
Would be awesome to see more people cruising around on longboards.
A great idea for people wanting to exercise, but find stuff like running to be boring. So much fun to skate and a great social activity that brings people together.

Do it! I usually skate on a nice park here where lots of beautiful girls go longboard or inline skate. I´m actually lucky because even being right handed I ride goofy (right foot on front), so it is easier to talk with the person at my side.

Last edited by a moderator: