Started skateoarding again recently : any of you guys around here skate too?

Harry Hughes

  ‬‬
Apr 25, 2009
I started again on Monday. Prior to that, I hadn't picked up my skateoard since January, although I only used it once to get to a party, so really I haven't actually skated properly since 2007.
I first picked up skateboarding in 2003, and by 2005 I was pretty decent.
Could kickflip 4 stair sets, ollie 6 stair sets, do various grinds, 360 flip and ollie-ing off ledges about 150cm high (about 5 feet) with no effort.

I forgot how much fun skateboarding can be. I just love the exercise too, it makes non weights type exercise so much more fun and I just love the freedom of being able to do what you want, unlike in normal sports where you have all these rules and boundaries set.
Obviously I'm not really that great having only just started again, but I'm started to nail 50-50s again, improving my kickflips, relearning 360 flips and oddly enough found I could still nollie varial kickflip.
For some reason I can't board slide at all anymore though:erk:
When I went skating on Monday, I was shocked that I freaked out over a 4 stair set. I used to do 6 stairs like they were nothing back in the day, but I can barely land a 3 stair set ollie now :(
As a guitar player, I've decided that I'll probably go and get some wrist pads soon, and also I'm not gonna attempt crazy shit like trying to kick flip 12 stair sets, don't wanna risk breaking my arms or anything because guitar is still a higher priority and music is my first love.
Melbourne in general is an awesome place for skaters. Lots of skateparks around here, plus lots of cool spots and the weather is good all year round, doesn't snow in the suburbs that are of a fairly normal height above sea level.

So any of you guys around here skate?
Got some good skate stories to tell?
How long you guys been skating for

Used to skate alot when I was 12-15 (21 now)..but then I dident have the time anymore of my friends stopped skating.

Well some weeks ago I actual picked up my old board and went to the local skatepark to have some fun, besides being REALLLY rusty and getting pwned by 13 year olds I had a blast to decided to go out and buy a new board and bearings.. so with a fresh board I started skating whenever I could, but sadly I have not had the time lately to go out :/

But I do love to skate, even tho my skills is not that great. :erk:

I enjoy longboarding...

Although saying that, I had a rather large bail about a month ago and haven't really felt up to it since. Gotta love speed wobbles...

I got my first board in '91 when I was seven years old. My dad got it for me while visiting Germany. I skateboarded mainly in my parents garage for a year. After that I bought a new board when I was 13 and I have skateboarded since that a lot.

Now days I go skating about two to three times in a week. I really got into pool skating two years ago. Just don't have that much balls left to try anything sick like before.. :lol:

i skated when i was about 12, could never even ollie haha, but im extremely uncoordinated \o/

I used to skateboard until I screwed my ankle up jumping a 5 stair set ollie. The problem was it the stairs were unusually long and I ended up having to compensate last minute for a longer jump that I thought. Landed wrong on the trucks and jammed the muscles in my right ankle. Before skateboarding I did a fair amount of in line.

Skate a bit.

Been skating for ages, but at the start i really didn't have enough balls to do anything bar manuals, stupid flips and mullenesque crap.

Manned up and started really landing stuff last year.
Then one day i was leaving the park just fucking around and at the end i did the sketchiest kick flip ever and some how sprained my ankle really really really badly.
Now it hurts everytime i skate or run, shit sucks.

Still skate everyone now and then, not really doing sets anymore because they do major damage.

Cool that i can still pick up my skate board and get right back at it from pretty much where i left off, atleast thats what happened last time i skated, was nice.

I am really really worried about my wrists too, as i already have pretty destroyed wrists.
Melbourne looks like it has some sick spots, too bad none of my friends really are keen on skating much anymore.

I haven't done it since I was 18 (8 years ago). I never got that good at it. I had the manual down and a lot of half pipe shit (stalls). But that was pretty much it.

My summer fun is shooting paint at people. I have already been once and it's a fucking blast. Good exercise as well.

I still skate! haha i have been skating for about 8 years now (im 18 btw). I skate just about everyday, i enter comps and stuff like that. I skate Philly and NYC just about every weekend and im going to the Maloof Money Cup this weekend in NYC. I am sponsored by World Industries and (sadly) i get flow from skull candy lolol. I really do it just for fun, great way to stay in shape, its very independent (you dont need a coach, a ref, and 15 other guys to do it), you can skate just about anything and the culture and background behind it is so diverse and crazy.

And for your entertainment, Marc Johnson's part in Lakai's video Full Flared

Last edited by a moderator:
YEAH!
Skating is an old best friend of mine :)

I used to obsess over it, but gave it up kindof about a year ago.
I am currently trying to get back into it.

I have a bunch of footage of friends and I skating that i might compile and put op on youtube. ahhaha

Fully Flared rules ^^^^^

Mo's part is better though :OMG:

YEAH!
Skating is an old best friend of mine :)

I used to obsess over it, but gave it up kindof about a year ago.
I am currently trying to get back into it.

I have a bunch of footage of friends and I skating that i might compile and put op on youtube. ahhaha

Fully Flared rules ^^^^^

Mo's part is better though :OMG:

lol mo's part is better, but i just cant get over that switch Front noseblunt 180 blunt at the end lol

That's funny, I just picked up my skateboard too when I was visiting my parents some time ago :lol: The deck's completely worn out and the wood's almost rotting etc. but I've been out throwing some kickflips and shit on it a few times now. I think I'm going to go buy a new board since I really need to start doing something else besides just music 24/7. The cool thing is that some of my friends are starting to skate again too; I quit skateboarding about 5 years or so ago because I didn't have any friends who'd still skate, and it just got really boring to do it alone.

Roller Blades for me... my skateboard was a mode of transport from A to B without any of the flashy moves in between (I suck!!)

I haven't done either for about 3-4 years now though...

Used to skate from 11-14, always used to go out with a HUGE group of friends and just hit the city :D Good times, and many broken bones. I was never that great, all I could do was a heelflip + ollie.

But, check this guy out. Rodney Mullen was my absolute skateboarding IDOL back in the day. I don't know any skater more technical than this crazy-ass motherfuck

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuck yeah, good to see so many other skaters/people that used to skate around here.
I went for a skate yesterday with some friends, managed to relearn how to boardslide, ollie manual'd a few grind boxes (on Monday I could barely manual at all, but getting it back a bit now) and I've found I can do the best kickflips I could ever do in all of the time I've ever skated, so I guess quitting for a while can be a good thing because you gain perspective and you lose some bad habits (I used to have shoddy kickflip technique back in the day).
Feels good to be able to catch kickflips properly now

this is kind of irrelevant, but im going to the Maloof Money Cup tomorrow and sunday in NYC. $100,000 cash prize, shit is gonna be so fucking intense lol. Anyone else going?