Look who I ran into at NAMM (no, not Jeff)

Traxan

Mar 10, 2012
Figured I better put that disclaimer in the subject line or I'd be accused of trolling.

While wandering the floor I saw the booth for Strictly Seven, a maker of only 7 string guitars. One caught my attention: it was the gray guitar used by Joe Nurre in Jeff's videos. One of the booth reps saw me staring at it and came over. I looked at his name tag.

Curran Murphy.

Me: "Hey, you were in Nevermore, right?"
Him, slightly stunned for a second. "Uh, yeah!"

It's been a decade so I guess people don't readily associate him with Nevermore any more. We talked 7 strings a bit. He's going to make a custom guitar for Jeff that won't get him in trouble with Schecter for using it, and we talked Nevermore. My first NM gig was in 2000 on the Dead Heart tour, which he was a part of. He joked that during a tour with Dimmu, Tom almost killed him from drinking so much.

These days he builds guitars in Ohio with S7 and has his band, Shatter Messiah. He spoke only fondly of Nevermore and everyone in it, especially Van. Great guy.

Here he is with the Nurre model.

2nip9bn.jpg

5zh9xg.jpg

Oh it's fucking deafening. They put all the drums in one corner but the sound carries because the convention center halls are a giant echo chamber. Then there was the DJ section... it's as loud and chaotic as E3.