Looking for clips of the Axe-Fx

Cacoph0ny

Feb 23, 2008
I'm seriously considering getting one but I want to know how consistent it is with recording. I know Bulb gets incredible tones with it but he also got incredible tones with the POD which is something not many people can do.

Is it worth the money?
What is the cheapest interface I could buy to hook it up to my PC?
Could it replace an entire live rig? Anyone use it live?

Meh, my feeling is it's incredible for live playing if you use a lot of FX and need a bunch of patch changes and stuff, and also want the ability to have a great sounding signal to send right to the house PA (cuz you can use an output on it with impulses applied and stuff). But honestly, all the recorded clips I've heard have still had this perceptible digital fuzziness; it's a different and less obvious digital characteristic than Line 6 stuff, but it's still there IMO! And, many who boner over it seem to play djent, which ain't my thang. So yeah, I really have very little interest in one tbh, especially for that price - give me a good tube head with a footswitchable FX loop and a delay pedal to leave always-on in the loop, and that's all I need!

And as for recording, I'd imagine if you got a good tube power amp and cab it'd sound great, but forget about anything with impulses ever coming close to a mic'ed cab IMO!

Yeah, that's my main concern. It might not get good tones for hi-gain music outside of djent stuff.

Also, my current setup is pretty weird. My PODxt's 'Phones' output is connected with a headphones to RCA splitter. The RCA cables then go to my speakers.. so I'm not actually using an amp. Will this work with the Axe-Fx as well? Would I just plug the headphone 1/4" cable into the mono input? Sorry if that confused the hell out of you, lol.

I still have not to this day heard a clip of the AxeFX doing a 5150 or Recto type tone very well for fast, technical riffing. I'm going for a BDM/BTBAM/Sylosis/Soilwork type tone, and it just can't do it from what I can tell. I owned one, albeit just for the 15 day trial period, but I couldn't coax it out of the thing and haven't heard anyone else get close, either!

Here I am! ;)

The AxeFX is just as stupid as a regular amp when it comes to tone. To get a 5150 sound, you'll be needing the 5150 (which is included now btw) and you need to know how the damn amp works. That's the same with all the amps in there (the JCM800 needs to have the Master at 10 to sound ok, just like it's real counterpart). Another bummer is that the IR's are put in there by a guy who has no idea how to get a modern metal sound, so you'll have to learn to add your own impulses. Third thing: No headphone jack. Otherwise, it's just as good as the amp next to it, especially if you're looking for a direct tone.

The problem people have is that as soon as you tell them it's recorded with an Axe-FX, people "hear" loads of "digital" stuff going on. I can make any amp sound that way, because it's my taste. According to the haters, I like digital stuff.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

There's plenty of clips there. Good luck!

Truthfully, I'm not against ampsims if they sound good, but I've heard more convincing tones (that make me think they're real tube amps) out of 8505 and Revalver than out of the AxeFX!