Looking for some dark sounding Rock

General Zaroff

Registered Lunatic
May 28, 2007
Ship Trap Island
I find some older Clutch has a bit of a dark sound. Songs such as Bacchanal and Binge And Purge come to mind.

So yeah, anyone have some good stuff they could recommend me?

I've only listened to Transnational Speedway League once, and it was a long time ago, but from what I recall it had a lot of hardcore punk influence to it. You might want to check out bands in that vein, or maybe some sludge metal.

Oh, and you should check out Bloodrock - not because they're anything like Clutch, but because they fucking rule.

There was a Canadian band called Headstones that had a really dark, macabre sound. Here are some of my favorite songs they do.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXbFVaWERYM&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
16 Horsepower..American folk/rock-ish..

Beseech..usually labelled as metal, but there is plenty of stuff they have which is easily just rock..

Last edited by a moderator:
When I saw this thread in the Last Post section of the forum overview, I thought for a second that it said
"Looking for some dick..."

I suppose that could be "dark" but it sure isnt rock. What album is that, something later in the 80's ? Doesnt sound like the earlier stuff I remember.

Heep doesnt totally qualify either, some dark stuff/some bright stuff but they were metal before metal was cool. Good examples of Heeps dark "rock" would be "Lady in Black" from Salisbury ('71) and "Come Away Melinda" from Very 'eavy... Very 'umble ('70). Then Heeps dark protometal which WAS METAL by every rite, would be "Shadows of Grief" from Look at Yourself ('71)

Black Sabbath is way over creditied for being the sole founders of "metal". Judas Priest is too. Uriah Heep had their share of metal and dark subjects right along side of Sabbath in the time line. Main difference being that Heep didnt stick totally to graveyard topics or the heavy sound.

Atomic Roosters "Death Walks Behind You" album and especially title track had some dark moments as well. Musically they were somewhere between protometal and trapped in psychedelic hippy rock, but lyrically dark. Later albums after DWBY had dark bluesrock songs like "Black Snake". They also ran parallel to Black Sabbath in the time line.