Looking for THE crash, recording starts monday...

mxlinus

I'm not a number!
Apr 23, 2005
Finland
www.nicoleband.com
Ok. Me and our engineer have argued about crash cymbals for days, and I can't make my mind whitch one to buy and recording starts monday!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the drummer, I just wan't the best sounding crash (or 2) there is, just for recording. It doesn't matter if it sounds like shit to your ear, it just has to sound good on tape.

I know zildian K-customs are pretty awesome, but I might not be able to get them in time. Are the a-customs ok? what about istanbul alchemy pro's? or the hand hammered ones? which sabians should be worth trying? and what else? it needs to be smoot as hell and NO "kocsh" -sound if you know what I mean (and yes, I will make sure it's not the mic position)... ok I just sounded like an ass but you need to understand what I'm looking for...

I need a professional opinion on this. Drummers and newbies, please don't get me confused.

I think we are using Telefunken/Neumann KM54 cardioid condenser microphones for the crashes?? not 100% sure tho.
for sure the neve portico 5012 pre. it sounds a bit warm compared to... for example amek 9098 (portico is a really really nice pre by the way!!)

I need to make my choice on monday, the latest. Please share your experiences...

ANDYs opinion would also be very welcome.

I have A customs in the studio and I really like them.

In your situation this is what I would do: if you are only getting one crash get an 18" A Custom. If you're getting two, get a 19" A Custom and a 17" A Custom. DO NOT get the A Custom Fast Crashes as they have recorded very poorly for me.

The K customs are way to dark to my ears to cut through in a heavy guitar band.

YMMV.

i agree with everyone here. a customs sound great. if you want to try sabian the aax line is pretty sweet. paiste makes really nice cymbals, although more expensive than the other brands, but their signature line is pretty damn smooth(danny carey). i actually just bought a sabian xs medium 18 inch crash, which the xs line is the cheapest line of cast cymbals out there, and it really sounds great. i was really surprised. i think it was a really good value and i will try more of them in the future. check them out.

I know dick all about drums, but my drummer uses Paiste Rude's (16" and 17"). I'd heard they were meant for live use mainly, but they recorded really well - they cut through the mix really well, though they are quite dark. Because they're so heavy they die out quite quickly, so on repeated hits they stay well defined, though we ended up using a touch of reverb to make them sustain longer because are songs are quite slow.

He's got some Sabian AAX's too, they're pretty nice. Don't know about the Zildjian A Custom's, the only Zildjian my guy uses (a 12" splash) sounds great but he's broken about 4 of them.

Steve

I actually pick Zildjians last. I use Paistes and Meinls myself... cant wrong with any of them, ASAIC

Not a recommendation, but something that I'd like to know...
Is it true that it's better to use the thinner crashes for recording, as they should respond quicker to the stick hit, especially for those cymbal swells?
Or is it in the end all up to the drummer and his preferences?

Dunno, just read somewhere that thinner cymbals are more "studio oriented" whereas thicker are more for live use (to last longer).

That's what I've heard too, which is why I was surprised that Paiste Rudes recorded so well - they're really heavy. Think it depends what sound you want - with the Rudes you can hear every hit on when you bulid up, on thinner cymbals they bleed together better and it sounds like one continuous sound.

Steve

SickBoy said:
Not a recommendation, but something that I'd like to know...
Is it true that it's better to use the thinner crashes for recording, as they should respond quicker to the stick hit, especially for those cymbal swells?
Or is it in the end all up to the drummer and his preferences?

Dunno, just read somewhere that thinner cymbals are more "studio oriented" whereas thicker are more for live use (to last longer).

my personal opinion is yes, that's why I didn't get the aax series. I bought two HHX studio crashes istead. The work really good. We're using neuman U67's as overheads.

AAX series sounded very average to my ears. They might be god for touring as they tend to last longer 'cause they're thicker than the HHX's. Heard the A customs also, and same thing... but then again, I think that crash cymbals should sound smooth, and that's what the HHX's did for me. I would have gone with the K-customs if I'd found them somewhere... The K-custom china sounds amazing.

thank you, good bye.