looking for work and live in the indiana area?

Basically its quantizing things so like the guitar, bass, and kicks ext... all hit at the same time (transients line up) so things sound tight and professional. Thats the basic idea to pocketing, and its a tedious job but worth the effort when its done.

Hmm I thought you didn't want them to hit at the EXACT same time but very very very close?

ps. how the hell do you do this on guitar and bass tracks? There's not always a very defined transient. What if you are (or are recording) an extremely tight player? still "pocket" ?

[UEAK]Clowd;8171799 said:
Hmm I thought you didn't want them to hit at the EXACT same time but very very very close?

ps. how the hell do you do this on guitar and bass tracks? There's not always a very defined transient. What if you are (or are recording) an extremely tight player? still "pocket" ?

on guitar you should always track with a DI for two reason. 1.so you can always reamp if needed, and 2. so you can see the transients on the DI track much easier. Makes lining up guitars on breakdowns a piece of cake:)

on guitar you should always track with a DI for two reason. 1.so you can always reamp if needed, and 2. so you can see the transients on the DI track much easier. Makes lining up guitars on breakdowns a piece of cake:)

good point.

anyone have any good articles/other reads on this "pocketing"? I always edit my drums and vocals to the grid but I never thought of doing guitars or bass.

It's necessary to understand that NOT being exactly on the grid is very important for a fat sound. If everything is exactly on the same beat then you don't get the slight "off-ness" that creates a wider/fatter sound because the transients are happening exactly at the same point in time. If everything is spot on, you get *louder* but not *bigger*.

The more off it is (in a miniscule way) the fatter it sounds. Kinda like doubletracking.

It's necessary to understand that NOT being exactly on the grid is very important for a fat sound. If everything is exactly on the same beat then you don't get the slight "off-ness" that creates a wider/fatter sound because the transients are happening exactly at the same point in time. If everything is spot on, you get *louder* but not *bigger*.

The more off it is (in a miniscule way) the fatter it sounds. Kinda like doubletracking.

+1

+1. It's almost an artform on it's own :)