Looking to go to Wacken!!

digsNasty

New Metal Member
Dec 8, 2008
NJ, US
Hey, basically I'm an American looking to go to Wacken next year. Any advice? All advice is welcome from a good tent to buy to places to check out in Germany. Also, is Germany english friendly (meaning do I have to know alot of German to go)?

Thanks

Hey dude, I've been to Wacken 4 times now (2001,2002,2004,2009) and i can totally recommend the experience as one any true Metalhead should live.
Some larger places in Germany speak relatively good English and in the smaller places they may only know a little but i tend to get by on very limited German skills myslef although it's worth just learning to say the likes of "please", "thank you", "beer" etc etc hahaha the essentials.
You can take a tent over with you or just buy one perhaps in Hamburg before the event but maybe safer to take one from home in case you get stuck for time.
How long you planning on going for?

Don't miss Berlin. Germans are generally pretty good at English, particularly young people in bigger cities, but obviously it wouldn't kill you to learn some essential phrases like "schwanz" and "fotze."

Ugh. Yeah, Berlin is cool, go there. Visit some bar, but watch out for homos.

Anyways, a little rant:

Wacken's bandlist is always something I use just to imagine what audience will the bands bring there. It always leaves me with no desire at all to go there. Same with Brutal Assault here et cetera.

2011 lineup is a classic one. Ozzy Osbourne will make the old metal papas and teen girls with black dyed hair go there. Apocalyptica and Avantasia is a magnet for those teen girls aswell + some mainstream metal fans. Then there's a fucking blackmetal legend Mayhem that is said to have pretty average/dissapointing shows nowadays (though I'd like to see Attila perform, if he still tours with them).

And then, yeah, a band that I fucking love a lot. Suicidal fucking Tendencies. But aren't they kinda old now, huh? What can a bunch of 40 years old punk / hc guys do on a metal festival full of posers? Anyways, maybe I'm wrong.

I sort of want to go to Wacken just because I've never been to an open air festival ever and there are usually a couple bands I like a lot, but I feel like it would be too many dumb shitheads who are using their passports for the first time ever who headbutt as a greeting and use drinking horns to drink Beck's