Looking to immigrate, suggestions?

One thing Australia does have: Peter Russell Clarke! :lol:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgRUUWrHPPw&feature=channel_page[/ame]

actofvengance said:
Is it that oz stated life as a penial colony for a lot of irish???

Yep. I'm a huge history buff so I normally think in historical contexts. Of course now things are totally different but knowing the history it's kinda amusing to me. And no I wasn't thinking the Irish and the English, that's a whole other can of worms. :D

Hey guys, thanks for the tips - I'll be sure to check 'em all out!
Sparkyness: What's attracting you to Oz?

I was born there....it's a "known quantity" for me. Whenever the global economy turns to shit, there's usually still work in Australia for me. My other half got approved for a spouse visa pretty easily (she's Irish) so it was a no brainer.

I've been away a very long time but my family is still there and I've been back for holidays every year or two so still have a feel for the place. There shouldn't be too many surprises other than the weather.

Since people mentioned the nordic countries:

Hey guys, I'm currently working in the IT sector in Ireland and am looking to immigrate.

Dandy

I'm well aware of the current economic troubles but that is not a concern for me.

This is not a big issue around here, unless you work in the lowest wage jobs. A helluva lot of people got laid off a few months ago, and still are. But that's mostly cleaners, assemblers, mechanics and jobs like that. IT is generally doing well - for the moment.

I'd love to hear what you're country is like, are there many jobs in IT,

If you have a qualification, you'll most likely find a job fairly quickly, with a lot of choice in the field too.

average wage for IT,

These are all for private sector jobs. For public work, just reduce 500 EUR:

Starting wage (0-2 years experience) = 1800 - 2300 EUR a month
2-5 years = 2200 - 2500 EUR
5-10 years = 2400 - 3000 EUR
10-15 years = 2800 - 3500 EUR
15-25 years = 3100 - 4000 EUR
>25 years = 3500 - 6000 EUR (depends how high up you get, generally very senior management for the big bucks)

Don't forget that we have very high taxes in Finland. But all education is free for everyone, from basic school to university, health care is very cheap (10 euros for the first 3 visits a year, and free from there on), the streets are clean and well taken care of in the winter, and social support is fair.

Here's the official tax percentage calculator. You can check what sort of taxes you'll have:
http://prosentti.vero.fi/veropros_tietojen_syotto2009.asp?language=ENG

Some examples:
2000 EUR/month / 24000 EUR a year = 19,5 %
2500 EUR / 30000 EUR = 23,5 %
3000 EUR / 36000 EUR = 26,5 %
4000 EUR / 48000 EUR = 31,0 %
5000 EUR / 60000 EUR = 34,0 %

There's also an additional percentage which you'll see with the calculator. That is how high your tax percentage will be for the wages that exceed your chosen tax percentage. Every year, a tax percentage is suggested to you by the tax office (depending on your last year's wage), and you can either accept it or select a different percentage. If you paid too much taxes, it will be returned to you with a small interest, and if you paid too little, you'll need to pay the sum to the state.

what's the weather & food like etc.?

Winter = down to -50 celsius, -15 C on average
Spring = wet days, fucking cold nights, bad smell, lots of slush
Summer = short, but can reach around +30 C, +15 C on average
Fall = lots of rain, very nice nature, winter comes very quickly, sometimes first snow in september, generally by november

If you like good home-cooked and locally made dairy stuff and meat, you'll love it here. There's some chinese, indian, turkish and such restaurants in every city, for your exotic needs.

The above is very similar for both Finland and Sweden. In Norway, things are a little different - they have a lot better wages, but everything is also a lot more expensive (food, electronics and so on).

Winter = down to -50 celsius, -15 C on average
Spring = wet days, fucking cold nights, bad smell, lots of slush
Summer = short, but can reach around +30 C, +15 C on average
Fall = lots of rain, very nice nature, winter comes very quickly, sometimes first snow in september, generally by november

Cheers for the info Torniojaws, but man - the weather's even worse than Ireland (which is pretty bad!)
Although then you mentioned home cooked food....mmm....

+1 on Finland

some of the nicest people you'll ever meet

I'd love to say Finland, but bro... it's not easy to move here....

Sweden (If you want the nordic thing) has way less arsehole immigration laws and is more people friendly... A lot more! :lol:

Here, I had to jump through hoops like you wouldn't imagine including having to prove to the police that scotland was EU...

Sweden (If you want the nordic thing) has way less arsehole immigration laws and is more people friendly... A lot more! :lol:

Here, I had to jump through hoops like you wouldn't imagine including having to prove to the police that scotland was EU...

Is scotland EU? Seriously??

:loco:

Cheers for the info dude! Any Swedes on here who can elaborate?

It's mostly to do with our bad experience. 75 % of all rapes have been commited by immigrants during the past 10 years, and they have also done a lot more crimes than natives, despite being just a few percent of the entire population of the country. So they decided to tighten the immigration up, but then EU came in and started complaining. It's a difficult issue.

This does not mean that Finns are inhospitable or racist, it's just there's no denying what has happened. If you prove yourself to be trustworthy and hard-working (certain immigrant groups don't even try to get a job because the tax-supported social support provides enough money for modest living if you're unemployed, which is one of the reasons why people generally don't like immigrants by default), you'll be taken in with open arms, so to speak :)

It's mostly to do with our bad experience. 75 % of all rapes have been commited by immigrants during the past 10 years, and they have also done a lot more crimes than natives, despite being just a few percent of the entire population of the country. So they decided to tighten the immigration up, but then EU came in and started complaining. It's a difficult issue.

This does not mean that Finns are inhospitable or racist, it's just there's no denying what has happened. If you prove yourself to be trustworthy and hard-working (certain immigrant groups don't even try to get a job because the tax-supported social support provides enough money for modest living if you're unemployed, which is one of the reasons why people generally don't like immigrants by default), you'll be taken in with open arms, so to speak :)

What's the lifestyle like?

Could one immigrate to Sweden or Finland without knowing the native language? I know that'd be such a dick thing to do, but learning a language isn't the easiest thing in the world to do...

Could one immigrate to Sweden or Finland without knowing the native language? I know that'd be such a dick thing to do, but learning a language isn't the easiest thing in the world to do...

I'd say yes, although in the rural areas it could sometimes create a bit of a language barrier. But I don't see why not.

Besides, I'd think it would be pretty effective way to learn the language. Like teaching a kid to swim by throwing them in the water. :)