Looks like we're getting a new Stratovarius album before Progpower

adaher

Apr 18, 2004
Coral Springs, FL
From melodicrock.com:

Megastar video director Antti Jokinen has directed a new Stratovarius video. Antti is famous for his work with artists like Beyoncé, Wyclef Jean, Korn, Missy Elliot, Nightwish, Shania Twain and Celine Dion.
Maniac Dance is the title of the video and first single. The video was shot in VRn Konepaja in Helsinki on April 15, and will be edited in Los Angeles next week.
Stratovarius' eleventh studio album is now ready. It will be titled Stratovarius and will be unleashed upon the world on September 5, 2005 through Sanctuary/Mayan.
The dates for Stratovarius world tour 2005-2006 will be announced in May.

A self-titled album. Historically, when bands self-title anything other than their debut album, they feel they've made a definitive album. I hope it's as good as they obviously think it is.

I'm also glad we'll get some new material. That leaves Conception as the only band left in the lineup without any recent stuff to promote. Has anyone heard anything about Conception's plans for a new album? I haven't been able to find any news on Conception other than that they are playing Progpower.

Cant wait for the new Stratovarius guaranteed to WAIL!!
I think conception is just dong the one performance. What other bands have done this self-titled definitive album thing you speak.

Dolamite S. Biffle said:
Cant wait for the new Stratovarius guaranteed to WAIL!!
I think conception is just dong the one performance. What other bands have done this self-titled definitive album thing you speak.

Well, METALLICA comes to mind! You know, the Black Album . :Smug:

And as for Conception, I know Tore Ostby has set up a new website for the band: rollthefire.com, but if you want to know what they are up to, just read what's going on at Kamelot's Forum under "Other Bands" topic.

adaher said:
A self-titled album. Historically, when bands self-title anything other than their debut album, they feel they've made a definitive album. I hope it's as good as they obviously think it is.

Usually I see S/T albums used for either a) first releases or b) they couldn't think of an interesting album title ;)

Whitesnake also.

Labyrinth, although admittedly their self-titled album didn't match Return to Heaven Denied. But it was a good comeback after the horrible Sons of Thunder.

To be honest, I don't expect the new Stratovarius album to match the 90s albums, but I do expect it to be their best since Destiny.

The new Stratovarius album will fail if people think it's going to sound like their previous albums.

They've said (and people who've heard the advanced screening for reporters) is that there is no double bass drums, most songs are midtempo, and there is definatly different stuff on the album compared to their classics. Like Maniac Dance starts with an Atari sound or something like that.

I just hope people listen with an open mind. For years everyone has said "Startovarius needs to change", and now they do I hope we don't see "Stratovarius sucks! Sounds nothing like them!"

Personally, I can't wait!

They changed on the Elements albums, but it wasn't really a change for the better. Change is good, but it has to be something they can do well. If speedy metal is all a band is good at, there's no point in trying to do progressive metal or Kiske pop alterna-rock.

I don't know that Stratovarius is that limited, but I have yet to see them really succeed at a different sound yet. Hopefully they pull it off.

I thought Elements did not live up to the hype Tolkki made it out to be...saying it was the 2000 (can't remember exact year it came out) version of Dreamspace. Since he felt it was more progressive and everything. To me, it seemed like the natural path Stratovarius would follow and was nothing shocking in terms of change

I just hope for the Progpower performance they perform lots of their older songs, and not just promote the new album. I would be sad... :(

on the kamelot boards, people be saying Conception is doing a few dates, possibly even Wacken. I believe their doing a bunch of Euro dates, possibly even before PP (which is kinda lame IMO, if its true). Also they mentioned a new Conception album, and interviews will be released soon.

Well that kicks ass would about Conception, and I would like PP to be their first performance it will just make it all the more special.

Nightmare1z said:
I thought Elements did not live up to the hype Tolkki made it out to be...saying it was the 2000 (can't remember exact year it came out) version of Dreamspace. Since he felt it was more progressive and everything. To me, it seemed like the natural path Stratovarius would follow and was nothing shocking in terms of change

I only heard a few songs, but that's how I felt as well... if it had REALLY sounded more like Dreamspace, I would have been pleasantly surprised, since Dreamspace is my favorite Strato album. I didn't think anything I heard from Elements 1 or 2 was any different from the previous four albums.

Nightmare1z said:
I just hope for the Progpower performance they perform lots of their older songs, and not just promote the new album. I would be sad... :(

I'd agree here, except that I know for a fact that Timo Tolkki doesn't even LIKE any of the albums prior to Episode... therefore, most of the songs they play are going to sound pretty much the same anyway, be they from the new albums or older ones. If we're lucky, we'll get some variety with "Uncertainty", "The Abyss of Your Eyes", and/or "Babylon", but otherwise, the entire setlist is guaranteed to consist of identical speed metal songs and ballads.

If they play Destiny, I guess that will make up for it! And I don't mean the abridged version they usually play, with the mix of like four other songs. I want the whole damn song! There's a reason it's number 2 on the most requested song list for Stratovarius conducted on their site. #1 is Black Diamond - no surprise really.

Nightmare1z said:

dude..if he made another album like Dreamspace I would crap myself! Just about everyone here knows I loooove that album! :headbang: :D

I don't remember him saying that though...but I won't hold it against you that he didn't...I can easily believe him saying that

Nightmare1z said:
The new Stratovarius album will fail if people think it's going to sound like their previous albums.

They've said (and people who've heard the advanced screening for reporters) is that there is no double bass drums, most songs are midtempo, and there is definatly different stuff on the album compared to their classics. Like Maniac Dance starts with an Atari sound or something like that.

I just hope people listen with an open mind. For years everyone has said "Startovarius needs to change", and now they do I hope we don't see "Stratovarius sucks! Sounds nothing like them!"

Personally, I can't wait!

:D I also thought Stratovarius started getting into a rut on the last couple of CDs. It's possible (not easy, but possible) to be nothing but speed metal and not get that sameness. I hope the new one is fresh; the old stuff's backbeat just sounded the same every song.

My $.02.

Chris

If anything, they stirred up enough hype with all the drama of the previous year. Contrary to what most of you say, I thought that "Elements Part 2" was their best release since "Episode." "Destiny" and "Infinite" sounded too much like each other. I'm hoping for a set that covers all of their material, though I doubt it will go any further back than "Fourth Dimension." As for Conception, I heard that they're doing these festival dates, recording a new album, and calling it a day once again. Tore and Khan felt that they needed to write one more chapter before closing that book on their careers.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Well, Jens has been conducting a poll on their forum on what people want in the set list. You can view it here.
Now whether or not they'll actually pay any attention to it is debatable. I think they'll play three or four songs from the new stuff and then the favs. Seems to be the usual formula.