Lopez Live

Wounded Land

Sep 27, 2005
A Hotel Where Nobody Stays
Greetings all. First-time poster, long-time lurker, etc. etc.

I have a question regarding Martin Lopez' live performances. First off, I absolutely love him as a drummer...great parts, great feel. However, live I have always felt that he pushes things too much...tempos mysteriously expand and contract, fills are out of time, and the like (for those of you who have not seen them live, this is ably documented on the Lamentations DVD).

So my question is this: have other people noticed this? And for those who have seen Opeth live with Lopez and live with Hoglan (or whomever), have you noticed a difference between their two performances with regard to these tempo/timing issues?

You're wrong, and I'm a drummer. The tempos are sometimes different, but I think it's always intentional.

Agalloch said:
You're wrong, and I'm a drummer. The tempos are sometimes different, but I think it's always intentional.

I'm not complaining that the tempos live vs. CD are different (that doesn't bother me). My observation was only that the tempos MOVE in a distracting way live. That is to say, all of a sudden a song will get 15 bpm faster, or a fill will be rushed. I don't think that this it is debatable that this happens. Go watch their performance of "Master's Apprentices" on Lamentations if you want proof.

I have always enjoyed Opeth's live shows (and again, for the record, Lopez is one of my favorite metal drummers), but this one thing about them always bothers me. That's way I was wondering if the Hoglan shows (or the ones with the dude from Bloodbath) made a more positive impression upon people who have seen them play with multiple drummers.

The only thing i noticed is that he changes how certain things are played and that Deliverance is faster on lamentations... He's not as precise at Portnoy, but still he's fucking ace.

Tempo changes have been noticed, nothing I worry about though.

As for Martin Axenrot, I've seen him twice with opeth, I think he did a great job! Less tempo-changes, and he even nailed the soft parts. BUT however, Lopez has more -feel- to it and is superior when it comes to dynamics, fills and ghost-notes.

No idea... but i'm seeing Opeth live in Novermber. Who's going to be on drums ?

Lopez drumming on the new album is insane.

@The greys
I guess it'll be Axe...

Poor thing, I was really looking forward to see Lopez on drums at Zeche Carl this Year, poorly it was "only" Axe. Of course, he did a great Job, but without a doubt Lopez has more passion. When I hear Lopez speaking in Interviews I always think that he's a really cool guy. But who knows?

I guess the reason why he gets often faster on the 'Lamentations' filming (for example: double-bass part in "Deliverance", heavy part in "the drapery falls") is, that he's just within the music and that the energie pushes him on. His face-expression at the beginning of Master's apprentices shows this... ;) eeeevil^^

i've noticed a lot of bands have tempo "issues" live--usually playing faster--and it does seem like a function of the live-scenario-energy. moreover, opeth's songs have a lot of tempo changes that must be difficult to manage live.
i think i recall reading someplace that they usually record to a click-track to try to avoid problems that arise with songs that are written this way...

It's like Lopez says on Lamentations. "Sometimes on the record, you have to play machine-wise." - You don't always have room on the record to go all out when it comes to drums, because the everything has to be PERFECT. (since they control the rhythm.) As opposed to a live show where he has more room to improvise and jazz things up a bit. I do note the tempo changes, but being a drummer, it doesnt really take away from the experience. I think he's fantastic live. (I love how he goes insane on Deliverance on the dvd.)