Lordi!

SiliconMessiah

Brilliant Bastards!!
Feb 20, 2002
Harrow, London
chris.j.mash.googlepages.com
I'm sure most people know of Lordi and their status of presenting Finland in the eurovision song contest this year.

If you like em (come on they're the first metal band in eurovision history anyway so support them and pave the way for more!!) then you can vote for them in this kind of pre-eurovision voty thing which is kinda maybe to see who the public like best and hence who might win, Lordi are 4th at the moment which is awesome but they're quite a way behind the leaders!

http://www.songcontest.ch/abstimmung.php?action=vote#

It's in an at least German-like language but just go down to Finland - Lordi Hard Rock Hallelujah and select them then click Abstimmten down the bottom!

A lot of the religious extremests in Finland are trying to get Tarja Halonen (president of Finland) to ban Lordi from entering, saying that Lordi are going to promote satanism around the world. This despite Lordi saying "Hey, I called The Devil a loser, we certainly don't worship him!"

What a bunch of crap. Thats typical of people not knowing about the subject they are going to flame, and just grouping them as a generic steriotype.

i love lordi, but its strange seeing them on eurovision, i dont really consider them a new act, which is what Eurovision is supposed to be, but ah well, looking forward to seeing them on the telly :) *goes off to vote*

Is Eurovision meant to be new acts? I'll admit that often it is, but not always. Katrina and the Waves wasn't a new act (or at least she wasn't) and Peter Andre did something this year or last year for it? I think Cliff Richard did it once as well, not sure if he was new at that time, similarly for ABBA.

Woo Lordi are 3rd!

Tonberry said:
A lot of the religious extremests in Finland are trying to get Tarja Halonen (president of Finland) to ban Lordi from entering, saying that Lordi are going to promote satanism around the world. This despite Lordi saying "Hey, I called The Devil a loser, we certainly don't worship him!"

What a bunch of crap. Thats typical of people not knowing about the subject they are going to flame, and just grouping them as a generic steriotype.

Sometimes people are such idiots!

Yeah, this could warrant a separate thread in itself.

I for one am sick of metallers being branded satanists. Anyone see that programme on BBC2 (I think that was the channel) about those guys in Italy that went by the name Beasts Of Satan?

It basically involved pissed off parents and religious extremists pointing fingers while showing interview extracts and live clips of a few bands like Deicide, Slayer, Dissection and Mayhem.

Well, I had several arguments with a number of people about the validity of the arguments opposing metal in there.

These people don't understand that bands like that represent less than a single per cent of the metal scene as a whole and I like some of them anyway. It's not as if I'm gonna go out tonight and murder someone now is it?:rolleyes:

The way I see it, people who follow satanism so closely or are involved in occult practices and such are gonna continue to do sao regardless of the music they listen to and if people are gonna take it as far as murdering someone they have to be pretty fucked in the head to start with.

Trying to get this across to people these days is like hitting my head against a brick wall. I guess some people will never understand.

Sorry to rant folks but this is starting to get me rattled now.....

SiliconMessiah said:
Is Eurovision meant to be new acts? I'll admit that often it is, but not always. Katrina and the Waves wasn't a new act (or at least she wasn't) and Peter Andre did something this year or last year for it? I think Cliff Richard did it once as well, not sure if he was new at that time, similarly for ABBA.

Woo Lordi are 3rd!

yeah its sposed to be new or breaking acts, no one well known or popular cause obviously they'll already have a fan base to vote so it'd be unfair...but in the last few years they've been doing it all these half rate pop acts have been trying to get in on it, probably to boost exposure..i mean we had entrants that were from pop talent contest programmes for our choices this year and that rap guy won..

i guess they must have some kind of rules saying how established they can already be to entered..its just weird for me personally coz i dont consider lordi as a new or breaking act, but then again most people in europe would seeing as theyre not all rock/metal fans..

i mean all this is irrelevant really, because we all know eurovision isnt about the music but more about which countries are trying to please each other...

Dream Thief said:
Yeah, this could warrant a separate thread in itself.

I for one am sick of metallers being branded satanists. Anyone see that programme on BBC2 (I think that was the channel) about those guys in Italy that went by the name Beasts Of Satan?

It basically involved pissed off parents and religious extremists pointing fingers while showing interview extracts and live clips of a few bands like Deicide, Slayer, Dissection and Mayhem.

I saw that program mate, and while alot of it was utter bollocks there were 2 points I got from that program that stuck with me.

The first really intelligent thing someone said... I *think* it may have been that priest who preaches onstage between bands... was

"You can't say that extreme metal music corrupts people to do unspeakable acts. Ok these "Beast of Satan" did do this, but there are millions of fans around the world who do not kill each other."

The other thing I took from this was when the narator said

"Metal fans see themselves as one big community, where everyone is pretty much equil, united in their love of music."

Something like that; (which in my experience, is very true, especailly atmospheres at gigs) promoting unity; equality and friendship even with complete strangers, destroys the argument that metalheads are all satanists, out to get everyone and each other!

Yeah, I got the Arockalypse, didn't think it was as good as Get Heavy thou. I did like the vocal tallents of Udo Dirkschneider on "They Only Come Out At Night;" his voice sat a good contrast to Lordi's growls :D

Oh and from that link Steve, the best quote from that has to be at the end. "We've sent beautiful people before and that didn't work." :D :D

They day Lordi top Get Heavy i'll be a happy chappy, it's an awesome album, probably every single one of the songs i love. but can't say the same for Monsterican Dream, though i've not listened much, and i think Arockalypse pips MD, seems better on fewer listens. But yeah if they managed to top Get Heavy then the album would just melt your face completely....

I'm going to stand up and be counted, and admit that I have been religiously watching eurovision for the last few years. Ever since I realised that the entire show is Wogan taking the piss, I can't get enough of it, he seriously makes for some of the funniest TV every year.

Frostmourn said:
I'm going to stand up and be counted, and admit that I have been religiously watching eurovision for the last few years. Ever since I realised that the entire show is Wogan taking the piss, I can't get enough of it, he seriously makes for some of the funniest TV every year.

Yeah but I bet he puts his foot in it when he talks about Lordi's appearence :D Even more so when they go on to win! Sod England, I'm rooting for metal out there!

Dream Thief said:

Suppose they forgot to add footage of Stryper and Sacrament, eh?

I'm still half thinking that this whole Lordi thing is a stitchup, but seeing is believing *^_^*