Lost to the Living, discuss!

griev0r

Here is Nowhere
May 13, 2007
Florida
I just listened to this cd yesterday for the first time. I was wondering if they would be able to top Dismantling Devotion, but after the first listen I think they have! This is definitely one I'm going to have to listen to a lot more to fully appreciate it, theres a lot going on with the songs. In other words, fucking great album! Great job guys.

I got my cd and shirt in the mail this afternoon. This album won't be sitting on my cd rack, that's for sure. Great stuff, guys! I was at the Jaxx show last year when you played with Novembers Doom. Hope to see some of these songs live in the near future! Take care.

I hope the album does well enough so the band can do a big cross-continental tour. They need the exposure, and there's enough amazing music with this new album to warrant it...

I think it's the best thing I've heard in a good long while...

I have the downloaded version on my ipod but I'll just wait till the cd/shirt comes in the mail to listen to it again. I've only heard it like twice I think.

It sucks though cuz I just went out of town so even if I got my cd in the mail today I can't listen to it until I get back in 10 days

I've got the album since a few days and cannot stop listening to 'And A Slow Surrender'. Its so fuckin' beautiful. I think it's on the same level as Dismantling Devotion with almost the same sound (Positive), but it's to soon to have a final conclusion. One thing is for sure: I can listen to it all day long.

Edit:
1:43 Descending, so brilliant!

I think it's without doubt the best DD album so far.

I was one of the exceptional few who weren't that ecstatic about Dismantling Devotion, I liked it, but honestly only A Life Less Lived and the titletrack really hit me, Strive to See and Lies that Bind I also liked. The other songs failed to really move me.

On first listen(s) Lost to the Living gave me the impression of being merely 'more of the same', despite some added sound textures and rhythmic enhancements. Out of mild disappointment I didn't listen to it for about a week and then I started to feel the need to hear it again. From then on it just became better and better. I cannot find a weak moment on the entire album. With each song coming up, I go like "hell yeah"! I absolutely love each song. The heavy pounding grooves (Cathedral, A Subtle Violence, The Morning Light), the heart-tearing melodies (Woke up Lost!), tension-building (At a Loss), dramatic tenderness (and a Slow Surrender, Last Alone) and just sheer ass-kicking (Descending, A Portait in White and again, At a Loss), all you need is there!

The album that encompasses all that is Daylight Dies. A fantastic album, already a top album for 2008.

I think it's without doubt the best DD album so far.

I was one of the exceptional few who weren't that ecstatic about Dismantling Devotion, I liked it, but honestly only A Life Less Lived and the titletrack really hit me, Strive to See and Lies that Bind I also liked. The other songs failed to really move me.

On first listen(s) Lost to the Living gave me the impression of being merely 'more of the same', despite some added sound textures and rhythmic enhancements. Out of mild disappointment I didn't listen to it for about a week and then I started to feel the need to hear it again. From then on it just became better and better. I cannot find a weak moment on the entire album. With each song coming up, I go like "hell yeah"! I absolutely love each song. The heavy pounding grooves (Cathedral, A Subtle Violence, The Morning Light), the heart-tearing melodies (Woke up Lost!), tension-building (At a Loss), dramatic tenderness (and a Slow Surrender, Last Alone) and just sheer ass-kicking (Descending, A Portait in White and again, At a Loss), all you need is there!

The album that encompasses all that is Daylight Dies. A fantastic album, already a top album for 2008.

Great write-up Tinus. Although I really liked it at first, the more and more I listen to it, it just gets better and better. Fantastic album. :headbang:

Finally got my album/shirt today...love the shirt it's awesome :)

Listening to the album right now. iTunes wouldn't recognize the album for some reason but it finally worked. Loving it so far...

Thanks guys

As many of you says, the album grows better and better with each listening.
It may be important to say I was surprised by the album at first, not disappointed but rather skeptic. But the more the music is played, it becomes more and more defined. I just began after one week to get the core of it.
I'll write something longer when I'll find the time. ;)

Also I thought it was cool to read in the booklet that Guthrie is still involved, contributing to the lyrics and even writing some together with Nathan.

Now I figured out why I can't get into No Reply as much as Dismantling Devotion.....they had a different singer then

Wow I didn't even know that haha :Smug:

its the same singer as dismantaling devotion....

On first few listens only a couple of the songs really hit me on the first listen, but as we all know daylight dies gets better with every listen.
We had our own release party the day the cd came out. My friend made a 5 foot long daylight dies banner which rivals the ones they use live. and we listened to the entire discography. after having a month to listen to it. I love it as much as I possibly could. BUT I do not believe it is better then dismantaling Devotion.
but its not far from it. the only thing that I like more about DD is (for me) it has more catchy riffs and every song has a main part on it that really sticks out.
I actually find "and a slow surrender" to be boring with the exception of the solos around the 2:30 mark. and "at a loss" its a fantastic song, but I don't think its on the same level as the rest of the disc.
on the other hand I love the title track on DD and I get excited for every song.
Lost to the living is a good progression and a 9/10 in my book. I can't wait to see them live again
Hopefully they will play "a subtle Violence"