LotR Warning!

phlogiston

Bejabbers!
Apr 13, 2001
Melbourne
Visit site
If you're like me and have been looking forward to the whole LotR movie thing, then your hopes may be to high. Let them down a bit more, and you'll enjoy the movie more.

I don't think the movie captured the 'majesty' of the book. Sure, the movie's pretty big, and it sure is purdy, but it doesn't stack up against the book.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad movie, and I liked most of it, and you should still go and see it.

Although from what I've heard, if you haven't read the book, then you'll enjoy the movie more.

Well i went and saw it last night and it fuckin kicks arse

wicked special effects

as epic as they come

liv tyler's in it :)

and yeh i loved it...No i havne't read the books but i've heard from people who have and they love it as well

Phloggy i think it may be a case of "You can't please everybody" ...andd just be glad it isn't shit :) ...as some book to movie conversions are

Originally posted by phlogiston
Although from what I've heard, if you haven't read the book, then you'll enjoy the movie more.

That the same with every movie really.
No amount of SFX, pretty scenery or good acting can replace your own imagination.

I was going to see it yesterday and it was sold out, so I had to settle for "Monsters, Inc", which was a big disappointment in my opinion.

I hope the Council of Elrond scene is better in the movie than the book - I still can't get past it, because it's so flippin' boring! And the movie doesn't have Tom Bombadil, who I hate with a passion, and apparently skips all the songs that the hobbits sing, which is a bonus too.

Can't wait for the movie!!

I saw LotR on Wednesday and loved it! It wasn't even my first choice, but From Hell isn't out yet :).

I haven't read any of the books, so I guess I didn't have much in the way of expectations. Must try them out sometime, but I'll be sure to read one book at a time rather than the 1000 page compendium all in one go. Perhaps I'll just start listening to Blind Guardian and save myself a lot of work...

BTW: Nice avatar, Dreamy :lol:

W

Well, I just got back from seeing Fellowship and it's BRILLIANT!!! Incredibly, gobsmackingly great - much, much better and more entertaining than silly old Harry Potter :) I doubt I'll bother reading the LOTR books, though - I can't get through the first one yet, so I shan't put myself through it and settle for the movies instead.

Brilliant!

You're a hard man to please Phloggy 'cause I just saw the Fellowship of the Ring and liked it so much I'm going to see it again on Sunday!

I thought the movie was brilliant, having read the books three times in the last twenty years. The way they set the scenes was very close to the book and the costumes, effects, locations and screenplay were all first class. The casting of the characters was also very, very good in my opinion. I can't recommend this movie highly enough and I honestly don't think it could have been done much better! I can't wait for the next two instalments.

Oh and incidentally Liv Tyler is absolutely gorgeous!!!

I think I'm in love with her, pointy ears and all.....

I saw it last night and found it a bit wanting...

The story was very well executed, actors were great (except for Wood), but some of the effects were well-dodgy and only served to remind me that I was watching a film...

7/10 from Marki :)

Originally posted by Mark
I saw it last night and found it a bit wanting...

The story was very well executed, actors were great (except for Wood), but some of the effects were well-dodgy and only served to remind me that I was watching a film...

7/10 from Marki :)

Elijah Wood was excellent - I can't think of anyone else who could have played the part. Sean Astin was exactly as I imagined Sam as being, and Bag End was exactly how I thought it looked - the outside of it, at least.

I shall be seeing it again post haste, and perhaps again and again (and maybe again). I haven't been this fanatical since "Titanic" (yes, I loved that movie, and I'm not afraid to admit it!).

Roll on "The Two Towers" and "The Return of the King"... even though I know what happens at the end of "King". Dunno anything about the rest of the books, though.

Oh! I forgot about Sir Ian McKellen - AWESOME as Gandalf. Could anyone else have played him as effectively? Hope he gets an Oscar nom.

It appears that despite my explicit instructions, people are getting me wrong.

I liked the film. Well acted, well cast (mostly, Wood was annoying, but so was Frodo most of the time, and Hugo Weaving sucked ass) and well shot.

But to me, the film doesn't quite capture the grandeur of the imagination that the book gives. It's not as "big". And some of the really cool dialogue that the characters say in the book just comes off cheesy in the film.

Originally posted by phlogiston
..Wood was annoying, but so was Frodo most of the time,..

Not as annoying as fucking Blilbo was in the Hobbit. :mad:

What was wrong with Wood? I thought he was great.

Forgot about Sean Bean! Excellent performance. John Rhys-wossname who played Gimli was OK, the blokes who played Merry and Pippin (I didn't know which was which) were good, Orlando Bloom was great in the action scenes... and Hugo Weaving was pretty good too, especially in the flashbacks. Loved the fight scenes, even if it was hard to figure out what was going on half the time.

Can't wait to see it again.

Whats wrong with some of you people? Are you too hard to please?

I thought it was the best movie I have seen in a long long time. I saw it today and am going back again this week whilst im still on holidays!!

And the comments on Woods are way off. I thought he would be terrible for the role, but thought he was fantastic. He played a Hobit to perfection :)

I can't wait for the next two..

10/10 for me :D

After seeing Fellowship of the Ring again this afternoon I still think it was brilliant.
I really liked Elijah Wood as Frodo, I can't imagine anyone else playing the part. I thought he acted very well - just goes to show that when you ask ten different people for their opinion on something you will often get ten different answers!
I thought the strongest or most natural performances were from Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn), Sean Bean (Boromir) and Sir Ian McKellan (Gandalf). Elijah Wood had me convinced he was Frodo and Sean Astin was also very good as Sam. The actors who played Merry and Pippin also did well. Ian Holm was great as Bilbo too.
Cate Blanchett initially seemed a strange choice for the part of Galadriel but I thought it worked well. Hugo Weaving was not the Elrond I expected but his performance was good nonetheless.

Mark, what effects did you think were dodgy? The only ones I wasn't sure about were the aerial shots of the armies at the beginning - everything looked blurry and ill defined.

All in all though I still think it was an excellent effort given the huge expectations from Tolkien fans and the difficulty in translating to film due to the sheer volume of the source material. It could easily have been four hours long. Apparently the first edit was 3 hours and 45 minutes and there will be a lot of footage on the DVD which was cut from the film.

9/10 from me after two viewings.

Having finally seen it I can now actually comment! :)

Erm . . . well, I liked it. I thought it was an excellent film, but for me it doesn't have the magic that movies can have. For instance (seeing as it has already been mentioned ;)) Harry Potter is an inferior movie yet for me it was far more magical and not just because it was about wizards and witch craft. I was far too consious about the length of the movie which definately affected my enjoyment. I would very much like to see it again though it would be easier to make a fairer judgement on the basis of a second viewing. :)

As for what was wrong with Wood - I'm sorry, but there is only so long that I can look at that wide eyed face without wanting to smack it. Anyone who hasn't seen the movie should check out the shocked/surprised smilie ont he new version of Microsoft messenger (see attached ;)). :lol:

Attachments

• whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
    1 KB · Views: 13