Lou Reed & Metallica: The View (90-second Preview)

Öwen;10010842 said:
My first exposure to this band was actually watching Some Kind of Monster where I concluded they were all absolute fuckwits of the highest order.

Listening to this really doesn't disprove my original hypothesis.

Hetfield was the og metal don back in the day, now.... he's sober and surrounded by Lars, business men and yes men who won't tell him what he's doing is shit.

Why is anyone surprised by this ? They have previous for this sort of shit , don't you all remember the abomination of a collaboration they did with Marianne Faithful ..... Say no more

Coppied from my veiws elsewhere:

The "Loads" aren't looking so bad right now. Actually, St Anger is almost respectable..... no I won't go that far.
Metallica, give up. GTFO. Bask in your millions and stop wasting our time with your crap ideas. They aren't new. They sound like shit. Leave the studio for bands who have something new and interesting to offer.
Goodbye.

This band does not have to exist beyond what they have already acheived adn I am no longer interested in what they do beyond this point.
It's a shame they have to taint their legacy with this crap.

This got me thinking and made me realize that Opeth's 'Heritage' is their 'Load'. It's that first little step on that steep decline that you desperately want to stop, but in the back of your mind know will keep freefalling until the final release is humiliating, self-indulgent joke. Which is where Metallica is at, right here, in this thread, with this record.

Ermz said:
This got me thinking and made me realize that Opeth's 'Heritage' is their 'Load'. It's that first little step on that steep decline that you desperately want to stop, but in the back of your mind know will keep freefalling until the final release is humiliating, self-indulgent joke. Which is where Metallica is at, right here, in this thread, with this record.

Dude, did heritage rape you when you were a kid? :lol: get over it, you don't like it, that's cool, but sounds like you go to bed thinking of it every night :lol:

I'd rather say it's their Risk though, cause Megadeth made great albums after that, and I still love Risk as well

Easy now :) . We are all entitled to our opinions but Load was a real piece of dog shit on every level , no redeeming qualities . I owned that album for about an hour the day it came out and after auditioning it in my car I gave it to a passer by in the street ! Heritage may not be your cup of tea but to compare it to Load is frankly below the belt ! For the record Metallica where once great and for that reason I still respect them even if they make it hard to .

Metallica are who they are for a reason and what the pulled out in the 80's and some of the 90's was spectacular. Those born after this time will never understand and have no right to comment really...
All the bands you now listen to would most likely not be who they are today without them. Thats the truth.

However, Metallica is a monster that can only be contained, not changed, even by its creators. It got too big for them to handle and they lost the plot.

It is common for musicians to out grow there idols so the fact Lars is not considered a great drummer today is no suprise, much like say Jimi Hendrix. To alot of people he sounds like an average guitar player but he influenced millions of new players, much like Lars.
Having said that.. Lars got to comfy and I guess stopped learning new skills as his drumming has declined both in the studio and live.
Has any one seen the live in Rome DVD? I had to turn it off halfway through Creeping Death (only about 20min in) as his drumming was SO BAD I just could not watch it! It pissed me off so bad...

RIP Metallica. I will never buy another CD of yours but thanks for the memories....

I was born too late to enjoy metallica's best work at the time. I still get it though, it's great, innovative music.

You just compared one of the most spectacularly inventive and emotionally communicative musicians of the last 100 years with a sloppy drummer who's saving grace is that he knew not to try too much fancy shit and just follow the riffs.

Metallica are who they are for a reason and what the pulled out in the 80's and some of the 90's was spectacular. Those born after this time will never understand and have no right to comment really...
All the bands you now listen to would most likely not be who they are today without them. Thats the truth.

However, Metallica is a monster that can only be contained, not changed, even by its creators. It got too big for them to handle and they lost the plot.

It is common for musicians to out grow there idols so the fact Lars is not considered a great drummer today is no suprise, much like say Jimi Hendrix. To alot of people he sounds like an average guitar player but he influenced millions of new players, much like Lars.
Having said that.. Lars got to comfy and I guess stopped learning new skills as his drumming has declined both in the studio and live.
Has any one seen the live in Rome DVD? I had to turn it off halfway through Creeping Death (only about 20min in) as his drumming was SO BAD I just could not watch it! It pissed me off so bad...

RIP Metallica. I will never buy another CD of yours but thanks for the memories....

Are you serious?? I've never not ONCE heard anyone say that Jimi Hendrix is an average guitar player. Fuck man... even my uncle who doesn't really like music at all likes Jimi Hendrix and thinks he is amazing!!

Don't try and denigrate one of the best guitarists of the universe for some gaylord who can't even play double kick drums properly.

FOR THE RECORD:

I was not trying to say I thought Jimi Hendirx was a bad guitarist! Nor was I directly comparing him to Lars. I am saying in their day they were both inovators and inspiried many musicians all around the world but these days when people think of great musicians people like these are not often thought of by younger musicians. Unfortunately for Lars he let himself go... musically speaking, but he still contributed alot to metal.
Jimi Hendrix will always be one of the most influential guitarists in my life.

I have had to convince many a young guitar player these days that Jimi is someone to be considered as a guitar great. Unfortunately.