Love of Live (part två)

Heljareyga make songs that are too long and overblown. But I still think Heri is talented.

Yeah, it's a brilliant show, or so my endocrinologist tells me. He saw him somewhere in the US in October or something. He tells me that there was this "hobo" walking around with a sign that said "Give food to the poor" (or something). The guy had been walking there for more than an hour, and it turns out it was Waters himself.

Funny. Also the fact that your endocrinologist told you that.

Djöfull;9797359 said:
Heljareyga make songs that are too long and overblown. But I still think Heri is talented.
i agree. He has written some really awesome stuff with Týr, and he's a skillful guitarist. But still, i'm not holding my breath for the upcoming Týr release either :zzz:

This year at Ragnarök festival there were these bands on the bill:

Battlelore, Graveworm, Enslaved, Orphaned Land, Thyrfing, Catamenia, Månegarm, Alcest, Kampfar, Negură Bunget, Dalriada, Agrypnie, Obscurity, Ignis Fatuu, Odroerir, Todtgelichter, Valkyrja, Bran Barr, Hammer Horde, Bifröst, Path of Golconda, Blackshore, Ctulu, Eïs, Twilight of the Gods. I've seen most of those and filmed 12 videos and finally managed to post them online. I won't write a complete review here, just a few of the vids:

I was dying to see Enslaved for ages, as i totally love them! They canceled their show last year that i was really looking forward to, because they went on another tour - to open up for Dimmu Burger... Anyway, finally i saw them here at Ragnarök, and the guys oh so didn't disappoint!! ♥ I was really tired by the time but i gathered all the energy that i could and propped myself in the middle of the large and rather tight crowd to watch Enslaved play. They hit spot on with the very first sounds of the opening track, which turned out also to be the best of their entire show (i believe it was Ethica Odini). They were really amazing and seemed so well rehearsed and well prepared. I think this could very well be the highlight of the entire festival for me...

Those interested can read my complete Ragnarök "review" HERE, with the links to all videos, or just watch Pagan Roots video channel ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
next up for me are:

May 29
The Black Path Tour Vreid, Kampfar, Secrets of the Moon and Krakow

May 31
Primordial, Alcest and While Heaven Wept

June 4
Finsterforst, Chain Of Dogs
Very excited to see Primordial and Finsterforst for the first time! :headbang:

Is it ok to bitch about dumb-ass trve cvlt douche-bags here? Yeah, I'm speaking about Watain...
Just came back from Metalfest (Germany), and sadly my last memory from there is about them trying to fuck things up... I had already heard rumours about how they had burnt something down at the Austria festival, and how they were kicked out of the Swizz festival because they wouldn't accept the rulesabout no dead animals on stage, but figured these things could be exagerations, what with them being so trve and all... Sadly, at the afterparty on the last night in Germany they were at it again, trying to set fire to the back-stage area by throwing benches and stuff on a small-sized home-made bonfire. When another guy tried to step in stop them on of the Watain chased him around the area, pushing him around and was about to beat him up when someone else intervened. Sadly, as the first guy was held back, another guy from Watain jumped the guy frmo the back instead. Assholes. Luckily, security was there right away and drove them out or something. At least they disapeared, not to be seen again...
Funny thing is, I had seen them earlier in the day sitting around a table sipping pink-and-yellow drinks with fruits and umbrellas through a straw. Someoneshouldplace this band in a fail-blog...

Anyway, enough bitching.
The rest of the festival was actually really cool. It was my first time there, and I really liked it. One clear-cut favourite performance every day, that ain't bad! First day was Amon Amarth, whom I always enjoy, but this was something special! There was a lot of fire and stuff, and L.G. Petrov joined them on stage for Guardians Of Asgaard.
Second day was won by Wintersun, who played a fantastic, although much too short, gig. One new song in the set, cheesy title (The Way Of The Fire), but a great tune. Long as fuck, and very varied in style and tempo.
Last day Sabaton ruled the place, as they played a stellar concert as well. Joachim, the singer, went out and crowdsurfed during the last song, and came back with a zebra-coloured cowboy hat, haha!

Only one real dissapointment, and that was sadly Amorphis. I was really looking forward to this concert, but the band was not into it at all, and didn't even pretend to make an effort. Weird set as well, the only old songs were Against Widows and Castaway, the rest were from Eclipse and up...

Is it ok to bitch about dumb-ass trve cvlt douche-bags here? Yeah, I'm speaking about Watain...
Just came back from Metalfest (Germany), and sadly my last memory from there is about them trying to fuck things up... I had already heard rumours about how they had burnt something down at the Austria festival, and how they were kicked out of the Swizz festival because they wouldn't accept the rulesabout no dead animals on stage, but figured these things could be exagerations, what with them being so trve and all... Sadly, at the afterparty on the last night in Germany they were at it again, trying to set fire to the back-stage area by throwing benches and stuff on a small-sized home-made bonfire. When another guy tried to step in stop them on of the Watain chased him around the area, pushing him around and was about to beat him up when someone else intervened. Sadly, as the first guy was held back, another guy from Watain jumped the guy frmo the back instead. Assholes. Luckily, security was there right away and drove them out or something. At least they disapeared, not to be seen again...
Funny thing is, I had seen them earlier in the day sitting around a table sipping pink-and-yellow drinks with fruits and umbrellas through a straw. Someoneshouldplace this band in a fail-blog...

Anyway, enough bitching.
The rest of the festival was actually really cool. It was my first time there, and I really liked it. One clear-cut favourite performance every day, that ain't bad! First day was Amon Amarth, whom I always enjoy, but this was something special! There was a lot of fire and stuff, and L.G. Petrov joined them on stage for Guardians Of Asgaard.
Second day was won by Wintersun, who played a fantastic, although much too short, gig. One new song in the set, cheesy title (The Way Of The Fire), but a great tune. Long as fuck, and very varied in style and tempo.
Last day Sabaton ruled the place, as they played a stellar concert as well. Joachim, the singer, went out and crowdsurfed during the last song, and came back with a zebra-coloured cowboy hat, haha!

Only one real dissapointment, and that was sadly Amorphis. I was really looking forward to this concert, but the band was not into it at all, and didn't even pretend to make an effort. Weird set as well, the only old songs were Against Widows and Castaway, the rest were from Eclipse and up...

Wow it seems that Watain are really… special.

Nice, so there'll probably be a bootleg of the new Wintersun song soon! (Triple cacophony!)

Yeah, Sabaton is great live. Swedish bands are always the best ones live.

Amorphis? Pity, that sucks. I'm not surprised that they don't play no old songs no more, but it's a pity that their gig, in particular, sucked.

Watain are just the most cliche bm band ever, even more than Mayhem, Nifelheim and Dark Funeral together.

On another forums I've seen a lot of praise for their professionalism and their 'compromise' with their cause. There are a lot of people that feel and really think that those guys performs 'real' rituals on stage and that their lyrics, aesthetics and overall behavior are part of their high philosophy, making them the most trve kvlt entity in the black metal realm.

LOL. Even their music is just generic bm alas Dark Funeral, Gorgoroth and the like.

Watain are just the most cliche bm band ever, even more than Mayhem, Nifelheim and Dark Funeral together.

On another forums I've seen a lot of praise for their professionalism and their 'compromise' with their cause. There are a lot of people that feel and really think that those guys performs 'real' rituals on stage and that their lyrics, aesthetics and overall behavior are part of their high philosophy, making them the most trve kvlt entity in the black metal realm.

LOL. Even their music is just generic bm alas Dark Funeral, Gorgoroth and the like.

Note to myself: Never listen to Watain :lol: .

I have enjoyed listening to the latest couple of Watain albums. Them being assholes in real life doesn't surprise me the least bit and it doesn't matter to me.

Crap, hope they do better @ Tuska. I actually am more into their new stuff so maybe I'll dig it more.

Crappy to hear about those super nice black metal morons like Watain. I'll just do what I feel like... Satan is freeedom!! BLARGH!

Well, the real problem wasn't the set for me, as I dig much of the new material as well, the problem was that they clearly didn't feel like playing that day...

Just came back from Milano, and the System Of A Down show. 40K people in a big parking lot, man that was crowded! It had a real festival feeling to it.
First band was some kind of brit-punk called Anti-Flag. Never heard f them before, and will not be sad if it doesn't happen again. After them came Volbeat, who in my opinion played a mediocre show after their standard sadly. It was still entertaining, but I have seen them do so much better in the past. Then it was time for Sick Of It All, which I mostly listened to from afar, taking a break and a beer. Last band before the headliner was Danzig. This was the second time I saw him, and before the first time I was afraid I'd think the show stunk, but I was positively surprised as he played really well, so this time around my expectations were alot higher, but now the gig was everything I feared frmo the first time. Danzig himself was in a bad mood over some thrown beer-cups and was yelling and shouting at the audience, plus he couldn't sing or handle the micropone for shit...
When SOAD came on the place was jam-packed and I ended up quite far down in the crowd. The sound was terrible, and it was only in short moments that I could see the band without the help of the tv-screens, but the atmosphere was amazing! Everyone was in a great mood and partied, and they played A LOT of songs, can't remember, but they were probably around the 30 or so as it was in the U.S. Slightly different selection though, but still great!

Damn, I've got a busy concert schedule ahead of me, four concerts only in this week!
On Wednesday I'm heading south of the border to Hamburg to see Pain, which I then will follow to Berlin the day after.
After this show I'm hurrying north again, as I'm seeing Dia Psalma in Helsingborg, Sweden. Also this band I will follow, and end my mini-tour by seeing them in Malmö on Saturday.
This will be fun... :)