Love of Live (part två)

Ulver at Off_Corso, Rotterdam today was great. According to the box office lady, we came in about two minutes after Ulver started playing (due to construction work, traffic jam, navigation device going crazy, and some other unforseen frustrations...) so I missed the opener, Zweizz, which didn't interest me at all anyway.

They only played new stuff, for about an hour, once again accompanied by video projections, and there were like 7 people on stage. I don't know about the setlist, Garm did mention the names of each song before they started, but I didn't remember them, lol. And as an encore, they played Hallways of Always from Perdition City.

The new songs were amazing, I feared that it was going to be in the vain of their recent hippie-style covers, but I couldn't be more wrong. I bought the new album on vinyl (black, not sure if there are different versions), along with LP reissues of Lyckantropen Themes, and Perdition City (both white, just like my Shadows of the Sun limited edition :D ).

I'm afraid that Jordpuls is going to have to wait again cause the only thing I'll be listening to the following days/weeks/months will be "Wars of the Roses"!
Great show, extremely loud volume unlike last year (thank god for earplugs!), but just like last year it was extremely short! Could quickly say hi and shake hands with Garm on my way out, but he didn't have the time to hang around much longer, unfortunately.
Again please!!! Next time they better play at least 2 hours or so, and more older stuff :)

^Thnx!
The new songs were amazing, I feared that it was going to be in the vain of their recent hippie-style covers, but I couldn't be more wrong.
what did they sound like then? were these the songs from Wars of the Roses?
I bought the new album on vinyl (black, not sure if there are different versions), along with LP reissues of Lyckantropen Themes, and Perdition City (both white, just like my Shadows of the Sun limited edition :D ).
wow you already have Wars of the Roses! that's a month before the release date (according to metal archives it's april 25th)?! :eek: so it's not a hippie album, what does it sound like then?

^Thnx!

what did they sound like then? were these the songs from Wars of the Roses?

wow you already have Wars of the Roses! that's a month before the release date (according to metal archives it's april 25th)?! :eek: so it's not a hippie album, what does it sound like then?

Me too! LP, if I'm not mistaken. Can't wait to listen to it!
So much for my New Year's resolution of buying less CDs haha. But oh well I'm only buying of my fave bands, no more "cover looks cool let's buy it" politics haha.

Yes those were new songs. The new album is typically Ulver, quite different from their previous works, as usual, but they delivered a masterpiece. The moods shift, but I'd say it's mostly quite dark, but in a completely different way from Shadows of the Sun. Beautiful vocals, some female, and a big narrated piece at the end, of which the lyrics come in a seperate booklet in the LP. I think I can even hear some Brian Eno influences (An Ending Ascent!!) in that amazing track.

Also hilarious that the album hasn't been pirated as of yet (as far as I can see in most of the 1337 warez sources) because they are only selling the vinyls at the concerts, hahaha. Shouldn't be too difficult ADC it, though.

Yes those were new songs. The new album is typically Ulver, quite different from their previous works, as usual, but they delivered a masterpiece. The moods shift, but I'd say it's mostly quite dark, but in a completely different way from Shadows of the Sun. Beautiful vocals, some female, and a big narrated piece at the end, of which the lyrics come in a separate booklet in the LP. I think I can even hear some Brian Eno influences (An Ending Ascent!!) in that amazing track.

Also hilarious that the album hasn't been pirated as of yet (as far as I can see in most of the 1337 warez sources) because they are only selling the vinyls at the concerts, hahaha. Shouldn't be too difficult ADC it, though.

Yeaaaaaahhhhhh!!!! *comes* *where's me tissues? Ulver tissues?*

It's great that it's different from Shadows, I never got into it :( . Hahaha "warez sources", I guess it's because it's supposed to be out in a month, but I'm sure someone will upload it soon.

Can't wait!!!!

---

On topic, I'll see Helloween (again) and Stratovarius. Maybe Motörhead if I can find the cheap ticket because shit USD 80 is an INSANE amount for the venue and the band.

Alright, I saw the heroes of my youth last night, Paradise Lost. These guys have been with me since the early 90s and although they kinda lost me with a few releases and the outcome of a gig often very much depends on Nick.....they have always remained up there in my Top3 of all time. Still, the last time I saw them I was like "ok...you really don't have to go and see them on each tour, gonna skip the next one" but then they annouced to play the Draconian Times album in its entirety and I just had to see that. Venue was sold out, great atmosphere and I was just...yeah....touched. They've just been very important to me, especially when I was younger.

Support was Ghost from Sweden which I didn't know and well.....what the hell? The singer came on stage as a sort of evil pope with inverted crosses, the other band members were dressed in monks habits + had their faces masked. That must be horrible :lol: but I guess it was their own choice.

yesterday we went to Black Trolls over Europe Tour - Part II, with Skyforger, Heljareyga, Gernotshagen, KromleK, Northland, Nothgard in Luxor, Arnhem, NL. This venue really sucks in terms of the sound quality so yesterday i vowed to never go there again anymore unless the band playing there would be really extraordinary... :bah: I mainly went to see Heljareyga live, which is another band of Heri Joensen of Týr. Being a huuuuuge fan of Heri and having known him personally, i was looking forward to see at least Heljareyga as i haven't seen Týr in 2 years. Damn, they sucked big time! :( I dunno if it was the venue's fault, or the band's fault, but by the end of their performance there was only a bunch of Heri's groupies left watching them which was really really sad... :erk: I feel really sorry for Heri, it must have hit his ego hard... Here's what i filmed:

At least all those who left during Heljareyga for a smoke or fresh air, came back to see Skyforger afterwards. Skyforger was great, as they took bagpipes, flutes and kantele with them this time! ^^ So at least the day wasn't completely ruined. Unfortunately we had to leave early again to catch the last train :(

Northland and KromleK that played earlier i didn't know before but they were rather decent compared with Heljareyga at least. Gernotshagen i did see 2 years ago but i liked them much better this time too, even despite the shitty sound in the venue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only five days until I'll see Roger Waters perform the entire The Wall! The show will last for about 3 hours I've read, and it'll be grand! I'm so psyched you couldn't believe it!

Yeah, it's a brilliant show, or so my endocrinologist tells me. He saw him somewhere in the US in October or something. He tells me that there was this "hobo" walking around with a sign that said "Give food to the poor" (or something). The guy had been walking there for more than an hour, and it turns out it was Waters himself.