Love songs

Heliotropic_Rose

in the soil beneath
Nov 17, 2004
Austin, Texas
I think bands like deftones, HUM, (whom none of you know, you should be ashamed) Failure (maybe you know this band through A perfect circle, Failure originally wrote the nurse who loved me) write the best love songs, good spaced out atmospheric love songs kick ass.

I think those bands write better love songs that porcupine tree.....let's see how this discussion goes....and yes I do love porcupine tree....

its just my opinion. but

fuck love songs... nothing is more played out in every genre of music than a friggin love song...yea, I've felt love too... but its so fuckin easy to write love song lyrics. dont people have anything better to talk about??? Thats one of the main reasons I like Pink Floyd a lot...no sappy love songs...

Stimuli said:
its just my opinion. but

fuck love songs... nothing is more played out in every genre of music than a friggin love song...yea, I've felt love too... but its so fuckin easy to write love song lyrics. dont people have anything better to talk about??? Thats one of the main reasons I like Pink Floyd a lot...no sappy love songs...
I think love songs are under-rated, twas why i made the thread.....I think love songs can be some of the best songs ever made....and then again I see your view point and agree with you that some love songs are just cliche as hell, and horrible

go download this song by FAILURE "Another Space Song"

The solar panels shining face
is smiling back on me
twisting off into the sun
its ok to be lonely

All my missions float away
I never trained to hard
I so caught up in the tree of stars
falling in my back yard

She'll always be one I can't find
She'll always be where I break down
She'll always hide behind a star
I'll always dream she can't be far

I've got no Houston to wind down to
I've got no protcol
Gravity's so far away wrapped on that shrinking ball
I eclipsed my memory sleeping inside this pod
patient time will carry me on her back without a sigh

And I won't let her down
my soul is celestial bound
and if i'm never found
she'll always be......

She'll always be one I can't find
She'll always be where I break down
She'll always hide behind a star
I'll always dream she can't be far

if To Bid You Farewell counts as a love song, count me in. that's one of my favorites. most of the love songs I listen to are piano though, like Chopin and stuff.

FUBAR said:
'Lazarus' by PT is one of my favourite love songs. Sheer Class!
Except it's not a love song.

It is great though.

A Porcupine Tree "love song" would be Shesmovedon, Rest Will Flow (possibly), Don't Hate Me, or Heartattack in a Layby. They don't really do a whole lot of love songs.

Jude said:
Except it's not a love song.

It is great though.

A Porcupine Tree "love song" would be Shesmovedon, Rest Will Flow (possibly), Don't Hate Me, or Heartattack in a Layby. They don't really do a whole lot of love songs.

I had a feeling this was coming...thought I might get away with it...anyway Shesmovedon is also sheer class!

Stimuli said:
its just my opinion. but

Umm, tons of love songs aren't happy. Actually, a lot of the saddest songs, or the ones with the most hurt in them are love songs. Love as an emotion carries so much gravity, and there is a lot of both hurt and haven involved I think, and the songs where I can feel someone's bliss at being in love or when I can drown in their wounds are wonderful experiences.

On a mildly related note, many people would argue it's extremely easy to metal lyrics (satan, death or murder, maybe some alcohol), but sometimes there's just those lines that stand out or those songs that just get it.

For the record I don't consider anything like backstreet boys or britney spears actual love songs.

Heliotropic_Rose said:
I think bands like deftones, HUM, (whom none of you know, you should be ashamed) Failure (maybe you know this band through A perfect circle, Failure originally wrote the nurse who loved me) write the best love songs, good spaced out atmospheric love songs kick ass.

I think those bands write better love songs that porcupine tree.....let's see how this discussion goes....and yes I do love porcupine tree....
I think those bands pale in comparison to writing love songs with bands like Foreigner, Journey, Everon, Pain of Salvation, Van Halen, or Unicorn...

Kenneth R. said:
I think those bands pale in comparison to writing love songs with bands like Foreigner, Journey, Everon, Pain of Salvation, Van Halen, or Unicorn...
and why is that Ken? Have you ever heard HUM or Failure.....does journey write better love songs because they're well known....you should download some HUM and Failure, or better yet go buy their albums before you make that call. I personally hate Journey and Van Halen, god I can't understand why a lot of my fav. muscicans hold eddie van halen in such reverance as a guitar player, i think his style sucks.

so yeah listen to some HUM and failure for about 2 months and then let me know what you think......I mean come on, I am a fellow opeth fan....i'm suggesting some non-metal music here, and I would check out some non-metal music from any of you guys before I would metal stuff, mostly because I think metal can be the most basic and recycled genre of music out there, with the exception of a good handful of bands of course

so seriously though man check those albums out, hell I ordered the Dan Swano stuff that you suggested to me

I think love songs have been worn into the ground by the pop scene. It's just such a cliche to always turn on the radio and hear some shit like 'youuu dont want meeeee, blah blah self pity *insert bad guitar line*'.

Having said that, there are some songs that can really strike a chord and I think PT's 'Heartattack in a Layby' is one of them. Although I'm not really sure if I'd consider it purely a love song.

oh come on, i'm not saying these bands are technically superior to anyone. but they write damn good love songs. i love how people hate on pop music just because other people like it. sorry but i have an opinion. :tickled:

Heliotropic_Rose said:
and I respect that opinion, hell I listen to a lot of good pop bands, I just hate Van Halen.....
It's cool. I just think they had a few good love songs, considering the thread... ;)

No disrespect to PT of course, I think they're amazing as well. I just thought after like 10 posts, maybe other bands could be mentioned

well you still haven't responded to my suggestions for FAILURE AND HUM, yep you should check into those bands man

Failure - Fantastic Planet

Hum _ You'd prefer an astronaut

Best Love Song EVAR!! : WASP - Animal (I fuck like a beast)

Whitesnake had some alright love songs but abit cheesey.

Love songs have sorta been ruined by it ebing used to much, same with hate songs.