Lunar Strain Versus Skydancer

InsArtTure

Agiel
Aug 29, 2006
Sofia,Bulgaria
First of all-sorry if there is already a thread like this.

So, I wanted to make a discussion about it. I want to compare the two debut albums. Frankly said I prefer you to be objective. Give your arguments about which album is better-musically. It is easy to say which your favourite is:lol:

Now-I think Lunar Strain deserves more compliments. Don't get me wrong. I love Skydancer more than anything in music. Nevertheless, LS has some advantages before SD.

First of all-Stanne sings there-and it is clear that he does his vocal duties better.
The whole production of LS is more professional and well made. The sound of the distorted guitars, the drums, the vocals and of course the acoustic guitars,the violin,cello..... Here comes the other thing. LS has its impressive variety. Different instruments combined by different methods-folk melodies-A LOT OF folk melodies.

Hargalaten! Hell, this track is killing. It transforms me into Scandinavian and I am not:lol:

Skydancer has its personal values for me but it is not any good as Lunar Strain.

If something else comes to my mind, I will write again. Until then, I am eager to see what you think.

First of all, both albums are two masterpieces of the goteborg sound, so respect for both.

Musically speaking, surely Lunar Strain is more catchy, more easy listening, while imho Skydancer is much more death-metal style, so harder to listen to and to understand.

Lunar Strain vocals are of course much better as Anders is way below Mikael!

Lunar strain has more concise songs and reflects less of the past and more of the future of Melodic deathmetal... But Skydancer introduces the true complexity of deathmetal to melodic metal which is more monumental than simply making melodic metal that's a little more extreme than Iron Maiden (which is what inflames did). In a similar way to at the gates, Dark Tranquillity discovered brand new untouched and holy land with the ever changing progressive, agressive but emotional melodic element.

Which color is better - harvest or 17?

Dresses+sneakers are owned by skirts+highheels, for sure, but while talking about an album, it's production, cover, music after all... it's always up to one to choose. Like choice made will make any difference to the others or make a brakthrough in the stock market.

But may be this will: I prefer Lunar Strain.

Each of the albums have the values to be considered as better than the other. So it would be a tie up to me; until hearing Mikael's voice! I go with Lunar Strain.

Lunar Strain is more raw than Skydancer, and it sounds too like "let's follow the other bands", Skydancer instead has got more personality and innovation for the sub-genre in those first years of the '90s. And I dislike Mikael's voice on Lunar Strain (REALLY better after this album).
If I should rate them:

Lunar Strain 6.5/7
Skydancer 7.5

InsArtTure said:
Hargalaten! Hell, this track is killing.

What does Hårgalåten even mean?
hår = hair
låten = song

Or does it mean anything at all?

Anyway, I think Lunar Strain is maybe better than Skydancer. It has those sentimental instrumentals, Stannes voice, Behind Space (my personal favourite), good melodies and beautiful acoustic pieces. Skydancer is more experimental album which is a good thing.

Skydancer is simply better music.

Still, Lunar Strain is very good too. Behind Space, Lunar Strain, Everlost (part II) and Hargalaten are very good, just not anywhere near the greatness of Shadow Duet or Crimson Winds, or many other songs on Skydancer.

MindMatters said:
What does Hårgalåten even mean?
hår = hair
låten = song

Or does it mean anything at all?

hårga is a village in sweden where, according to a folk tale, the devil disguised as a fiddler spellbound people and literally made them dance until they died.

you can find parts of the song in lefay's hårga as well.

edit: the word in itself doesn't mean anything.

Hey im gonna use this thread to get an answer to my question,on the re release of skydancer is anders frieden on it or did mikeal stanne redo the vocals? I just bought the minds I and skydancer is the only one i dont have,this could decide wether i have to settle on the re release or if i have to pull some theeth and order it some how.