Lurkers

ferlusa

Profana
Mar 27, 2005
Santa Catarina - Brazil
I got this text from wikipedia.org

A lurker is a user of an Internet forum who reads content but does not post to the forum. It however dates back to the mid-1980s when most people did not have access to the internet, but used BBS chat rooms instead. A lurker is a user of an Internet forum who reads content but does not post to the forum. It however dates back to the mid-1980s when most people did not have access to the internet, but used BBS chat rooms instead.

It is usually considered wise for a newcomer to lurk for a period of time before posting to the forum. How much time one should spend lurking depends upon the forum.

There are also some who lurk on a forum habitually, and rarely if ever contribute. It is generally difficult to guess how many such lurkers are present, since by definition they are silent.

Often lurkers act as self-appointed comment spies, and will "blow the whistle" on any post that threatens their belief system or is considered "offensive." They are the blogosphere's "tattletales," firing emails and instant messages to site owners about "troublesome" comments, hoping to gain a sense of importance thereby.

This type of lurker will tend to post only comments that compliment and praise the owner of the blog/bulletin board/forum site, and their comments are rare. They don't want to debate, they want to report those they don't approve of. They prowl around a comment area to pounce upon what they perceive as antagonists. These are the "malevolent lurkers".

To be fair, it should also be mentioned that some lurkers are simply shy, not educated on a given topic, or just not good at expressing their thoughts in written compositions. They enjoy reading other's posts and responses to them, but refrain from adding their own "two cents worth." These are the "benign lurkers".

A third type of lurker also exists, the "constructive lurker", being an individual who regularly reads online forums but rarely posts. These individuals may have a high degree of sophisitication within the topic of any given forum, but lack the time or willingness to post the detailed replies they feel that the topic at hand deserves. Lurkers of this sort are not shy about posting, but instead prefer not to start a discussion they do not have the time to finish. When these lurkers do post, they often provide well thought out and detailed contributions to the discussion at hand. A "constructive luker" is often veteran of several previous online discussion forums. Having been involved in many heated online discussions in the past these lurkers are willing to allow the more active forum members to hash out the obvious and will only contribute when the discussion takes a novel turn.

J. Michael Straczynski decided, in part due to discussions over Usenet, to use the term for the denizens of Babylon 5's Brown Sector, because of their similarity to internet lurkers.

Lurking, according to David Bell et. al, 2004 in their book Cyberculture: The Key Concepts, is considered as a form of voyeurism and includes "passive, non-interactive reading of communication in a chat room or newsgroup" or online community setting.

creepy :eek:

I had been lurking this board (well, the entire UM forum) for approx. 1 year before I decided to register and be part of the family.

I suppose lurkery depends on forum content more than anything.
If it's something like a programming forum, where half of the forum consists of "Don't post homework!!!", the lurking will be pretty high. Same goes for forums with a small group of well known posters that regularly post links to large files.

I don't think it should be called lurking, most people do it to a greater or lesser degree, but the word "lurking" brings to mind a seedy guy in a trenchcoat waiting to flash passers-by, which isn't applicable in a virtual space :)
*hunts for picture of creepy guy in trenchcoat*

...There are also some who lurk on a forum habitually, and rarely if ever contribute. It is generally difficult to guess how many such lurkers are present, since by definition they are silent...

...A third type of lurker also exists, the "constructive lurker", being an individual who regularly reads online forums but rarely posts. These individuals may have a high degree of sophisitication within the topic of any given forum, but lack the time or willingness to post the detailed replies they feel that the topic at hand deserves. Lurkers of this sort are not shy about posting, but instead prefer not to start a discussion they do not have the time to finish. When these lurkers do post, they often provide well thought out and detailed contributions to the discussion at hand. A "constructive luker" is often veteran of several previous online discussion forums. Having been involved in many heated online discussions in the past these lurkers are willing to allow the more active forum members to hash out the obvious and will only contribute when the discussion takes a novel turn...

That's me on virtually every board I visit! I've been lurking here, on Sneap's board, and formerly on the Arch Enemy board for a long time. :oops: Hello everyone, I've been watching you!! Mwaaaahahahaha :D (minus the trenchcoat)

Cool, I'm lurking right now.

Not that I want to "lurk", it's just I'm not really interested in threads Called
"I just took a mean dump", "I just sneezed, and my brain fell out my nose", "I just farted, and all the houseplants dropped dead." Well, actually, if those were the titles, I would go into them. That sounds moderately interesting!

Now, I'd never contact the forum admin people. Well, I did that one time, to see if she'd like to see a drawing I did from one her photo's. She wasn't too interested. That's the only time.

Beyond that, why would we contact WD to report a bad post? I mean, hey, I think he should BE FIRED as a forum admin. Look, you can't log in, well...you just can't HANDLE the responsibility. (kidding, but I will be starting an online petition to have him removed of his very serious responsibilities)

Why would anyone report a bad post around here anyway? We're all shitheads now and again.

Otherwise, the few posts that I do make are for my own purposes, since there really aren't that many people I interact with. I like alot of you, I just don't feel it, you know. The ones who're in the chat room seem to know each other really well, and that's that.

To lurk or not to lurk, that is the question.

LURK!

aye... with me, i only post if i feel that there's something of interest i'd like to become part of the discussion on, but usually don't visit enough to continue with it.

Satans_Mom said:
Cool, I'm lurking right now.

Not that I want to "lurk", it's just I'm not really interested in threads Called
"I just took a mean dump", "I just sneezed, and my brain fell out my nose", "I just farted, and all the houseplants dropped dead." Well, actually, if those were the titles, I would go into them. That sounds moderately interesting!

Now, I'd never contact the forum admin people. Well, I did that one time, to see if she'd like to see a drawing I did from one her photo's. She wasn't too interested. That's the only time.

Beyond that, why would we contact WD to report a bad post? I mean, hey, I think he should BE FIRED as a forum admin. Look, you can't log in, well...you just can't HANDLE the responsibility. (kidding, but I will be starting an online petition to have him removed of his very serious responsibilities)

Why would anyone report a bad post around here anyway? We're all shitheads now and again.

Otherwise, the few posts that I do make are for my own purposes, since there really aren't that many people I interact with. I like alot of you, I just don't feel it, you know. The ones who're in the chat room seem to know each other really well, and that's that.

To lurk or not to lurk, that is the question.

LURK!

LOL S's Mom, you rule :tickled: