lyrical content or vocal delivery ?

I'd first have to say both, but then the kicker being delivery. What good is a bunch of words put together if you have no emotions or feeling in your delivery?!

Both. I know a lot of people who don't give a damn about the lyrics but annoying lyrics can spoil a band for me. A small part of why I can't stand POS are their messianic, we know what is right and wrong, lyrics.

Hawk said:
Both. I know a lot of people who don't give a damn about the lyrics but annoying lyrics can spoil a band for me. A small part of why I can't stand POS are their messianic, we know what is right and wrong, lyrics.

I concur 100%.
Delivery, ultimately matters more in my view, but afwul lyrics can ruin a song/band.

Hawk said:

I lean strongly toward emotics as opposed to words. Both are important though there are exceptions.

Bryant

I gotta go with both. If, and that's a big if, I could choose only one then it would have to be delivery. Janis Joplin did not have the best voice in the world but you can feel every damn note she sings because she felt every damn note. Of course she had some pretty cool lyrics to sing too.

Windshield wipers slapping time

If that don't paint the picture and the mood then you're already dead.

I feel the emotion/energy put into the song more is the most important thing. And lyrics are important too but secondary to that.

I don't care about lyrics too much, but if they are going to be annoying, they better distort them like hell! so I can't understand what the darn fldnk they are saying.

The energy is my favorite, but if I understand superpoetic lyrics, they send a chill down my backneck.

both are very important to me. i personally notice the delivery a little more than the words, but usually they come hand and hand for me. i do know some singers that get pissy when people say the words dont matter, because thats part of their instrument. but honestly i think both are important, and of course you have to have the music to back it.

"DEEEADDLAAANDS! WAASSTEEELAAANDSSS!
DARKNESS SHALL COVER MY MIND, AND OBLIVION SHAAL REEIIGN!
I MADE UP MY MIND, AND OBLVION SHALL REIGN THROUGH THE NIGHT.
DEEEADDLAAANDS! WAASSTEEELAAANDSSS!
DARKNESS WILL COVER MY MIND, AND OBLIVION SHAL REEIIGN!"
-a new personal favorite of mine

depends on what kind of music I'm listening to. If I was listening to some brutal death metal, I don't think the lyrics would matter, so long as it had that sound to it.. and vice versa for the forms of music with more understandable vocals

A little of both I would say. I really need the emotion from bands that typically sing clean. A lot of power metal lyrics are pretty cheesy so I really could care less about them. Evergrey is a band that oozes emotion in the delivery and that's part of what hooked me.

On the other hand, a band like Cradle of Filth has a much different approach to the delivery and, although a fan, I appreciate the lyrics more as Dani is an insane lyricist.

Now a standard death metal band will mostly have a monotonous delivery and the lyrics are usually about the standard stuff so their catch would have to be the riffing and neither delivery nor lyrics would apply.

That's how it works in my world. :)

like previously stated, I think that delivery is a must.....but if the band has bad lyrics, then I just cant listen to them, even if they sound amazing. But my opinion of bad can differ. Take Blind Guardian's lyrics for example....cheesy as hell, but i wouldnt have them any other way, because they fit the music perfectly.

..............So in conclusion, Martin Walkyier is the best singer/lyricist :headbang: :worship:

kittybeast said:
I'd first have to say both, but then the kicker being delivery. What good is a bunch of words put together if you have no emotions or feeling in your delivery?!

Good call, I totally agree. I think they both go hand in hand. You can't sound emotional in your delivery without emotional lyrical content. You can't feel any emotion out of any one that has emotional lyrics but no delivery what so ever.

I really don't mind the lyrics that much, but if they're well written, I consider that as an icing on the cake, nothing more.
If the song's good, who cares about the lyrics. If the lyrics are good as well - even better!

#1_Droogie said:
..............So in conclusion, Martin Walkyier is the best singer/lyricist :headbang: :worship:

I agree he's probable the best lyricist, but not care much for him as a singer.

On the other hand what's the use of being a very emotive, powerful, energetic, multi-range vocalist, if your lyrics goes like:

da dada dada da dda
fuck you
dad dad dada dad
true metal or die
dad adadadad
da?