lyrical contents

opacity

Sep 17, 2001
[lower austria]
obviously, kiuas are very much devoted to their finnish mythology.
but i have no idea about it.
do the lyrics tell of certain chapters?

opacity said:
obviously, kiuas are very much devoted to their finnish mythology.
but i have no idea about it.
do the lyrics tell of certain chapters?

Well,...some of them do, some of them don't.
First of all, check out these links for a brief introduction:

http://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/finnish-mythology.php
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/christy/32/ak1e.html

I just typed "finnish mythology" in Google and got these results plus a lot more, of course.
The KALEVALA is regarded as the the national epic saga of Finland. It consists of a collection of poems gathered and put together by Elias Lönnrot(1802-1884). It's also an important part of the finnish identity, and is read in school etc.

The only Kiuas song that borrows a storyline directly from the Kalevala, is "Across the snows". It is (a bit loosely) based on one of Lemminkäinen's (one of the heroes of the Kalevala, a great warrior with the bad habit of getting into trouble) journeys to Pohjola (or "Northland", as it called in some translations - a sort of rivalry kingdom to the heroes of the saga). Lemminkäinen is not invited into a great wedding ceremony, he gets pissed off, grabs his sword and goes to pick a fight with the Lord of Pohjola, kills him in combat, and places he's head on the fence that surrounds the "Pohjola kingdom". That's the story in brief, check out the details.

UKKO of course is the great sky god, the god of thunder. Also, the finnish word "Ukkonen" means thunder.He's other name was originally PERKELE, but when christianity was brought to Finland, they of course tried to wipe out all the pagan traditions, beliefs etc., the name "Perkele" was attributed to Satan, and the name Ukko was taken into more frequent use, and people worshipped in secret anyway. And therefore Perkele became Satan, and nowadays it's just used as a curse word.

Here is just something that came to mind, USE GOOGLE and read about everything!!!:hotjump:

But hey, good question, ask more and I'll try my best to answer, if the internet let's you down. This is a subject that I'm extremely interested in as well!!! ( as you might know! )
:hotjump:

i pretty much fucked my question up, sorry about that :erk:

Mikko Ilmarinen said:
Well,...some of them do, some of them don't.
The only Kiuas song that borrows a storyline directly from the Kalevala, is "Across the snows"
ah that's what I wanted to know (what the question was supposed to mean.
umm.. yeah... :dopey: have i mentioned that I fucked it up? )

(thanks for the google introduction :p )

I've always wondered what "Behind the Glass" was about. Any insight?

Thanks for ALL your comments, Einherjar86, and for joining our discussion!

Considering "Behind the glass", I can't really remember what I was thinking, but it's about a personal world...fighting against your negative emotions...stuff like that, to sum it up VERY SHORTLY.

Oh yeah, your profile picture is great, Ian Anderson is the man!!:headbang:

Yes, he is the man!

Thanks very much for the insight, I appreciate it! Can't wait for the new record. I hope to make it over to Finland sometime in '09, so hopefully I'll catch a show!

Recently I've been pondering another song: "No More Sleep For Me"

I was wondering if the song is about a specific story from somewhere in history or some literary reference, or if it's much more personal than that. The opening verse has always made me wonder:

"Ten-thousand people all looking at me, wishing that I was dead,"

and also the line:

"The sins of the my brothers, they came down on me,
I fled for my pleas were in vain.
There was no pursuit; they lacked strength, but not hate,
My conscience was left with a stain."

Amazing lyrics, I think. I've just always wondered what they meant.

I know sometimes bands don't like to divulge the meanings of their lyrics. If that's the case, then don't worry about it. I'm just curious is all, :cool: