Lyrics meanings in depth

Strange Loop

Quarter of a Faha Unit
Jan 27, 2008
www.slight-shift.com
Hi everyone. On your behalf, I welcome myself to the forum ;)

I'm actually a little excited to have found this forum - a quick thumbing through the "currently listening" thread, though not really my thing, confirmed I was indeed in the right place :)

Anyway, I was looking around and was a little disappointed not being able to find any real attempts at interpreting, let alone debating, Spirals lyrics. So, unless I missed something, here I am starting the first thread with the intention of discussing the lyrics in depth.

I'll start it with my understanding of the lyrics to Cloud Constructor:

Life as it seemed to the circling man

As my thought patterns progress I find myself getting to the same conclusions and thoughts I had in the past, though from a "higher" level of understanding and awareness. This is a concept known to some as a "strange loop", or a spiral. It's cyclical - hence the circling man (who from now on shall be named Bob, for the sake of convenience).
In addition, my understanding of the 3rd line also might apply here.

As he gazed into discarded land

The discarded land = the realization, or concept, expressed in the next line of the lyrics, of nihilism. It has been discarded by mankind - veiled by clouds of unknowing constructed for self preservation purposes - to avoid what at the end of the song we see causes a feeling of emptiness. I agree that most people cannot contend with this. Mankind as a whole is generally in denial :)

Was a ride on a carousel of faith

This I see as nihilism rephrased. Our lives exist as such within the boundaries and rules of a certain logical axiomatic system. As humans we cannot escape this system and see beyond it since our very definition of "I" exists only with the system. If you break any idea into small enough pieces you will always find yourself up against a wall of axioms (basic logic?). Accepting them = faith, in a way. Since you cannot escape them, we return to the circle concept - the carousel. Whatever you do, you're stuck in a loop. Of course, this reasoning as well is based on this logic, so it's really the ultimate super paradoxical mother f*cking loop :)
I believe this is the meaning here.
(for more on this, you're welcome to read what I wrote here: http://slight-shift.deviantart.com/art/Math-is-in-the-detail-68108783)

Then he flew away

Bob decides to venture into the discarded land.

He traveled far through his worn out mind
Through sorrow and pain, what had he gained?
Still his dreams they could never take away

After confronting the matters the land he's decided to explore is all about, Bob reflects on it. These aren't easy concepts to tackle, and they force, to the extent of his abilities, to give up many convenient idea's he's been surrounded by and brought up to believe in all his life.
Life SEEMED to him like a ride on a carousel of faith, but he still has hope to find a solution. This hope = his dreams. (maybe...) Not sure who "they" are...
In general, I'm a little confused with these lines.

So he flew into the sun again

Bob decides to meet these problems head on. Flying into the sun can be a bad idea - you get burnt.

Emptiness struck as he realized
There's no answer to "who am I? what am I?"

Like I said, you fly into the sun - you get burnt. This is Bob's realization of nihilism. I don't think there's any need to elaborate.

He then saw why men must construct for themselves
A cloud of Unknowing

This emptiness Bob is stricken by as nihilism becomes inescapable is what mankind is trying to avoid by constructing clouds of unknowing - discarding the land.

OK - as I was writing my understanding I realized I might actually be slightly off from the original intension of the lyrics - the first 4 lines might discuss actual obviously silly faith Bob realizes the world revolves around (religion, superstition, etc.), he then ventures into the unknown, artificial cloud veiled land of exploring and questioning these faiths. The next 4 lines, in this case, would be his first encounter with the problem that finally strikes him in the last 4 lines with emptiness - nihilism.
I might also very well be, of course, TOTALLY off target here altogether :) I mean, there are a few phrases I felt I was kinda forcing to fit, and some words I just completely ignored because they don't seem to fit my interpretation well ("again", "they", "what had he gained", etc.).

So, what do you guys think? What is your understanding of this song?
Also, I still can't figure out what "God hides within the machines" means, certainly not in the context of my interpretation... any ideas?
I thought it might have something to do with Deus Ex Machina, but I couldn't develop that concept into something that made enough sense. Maybe that there is no Deus Ex Machina solution, thus god remains hidden within the machines?

Oh yea, finally, I'd like to take the opportunity to say that for the first time in my life I've experienced the joy and intellectual thrill of reading and analyzing poetry thanks to Spirals words - and I'm really glad to have discovered this. I found myself reading to words to Excessit, writing notes down, cross referencing, looking up words and phrases in Latin, wiki searching for philosophical concepts, etc. etc.
This is great... THANK YOU SPIRAL ARCHITECT! :lol:

Damn, it's 5:15am here and I gotta get up for work in 3:45 hours.
Night everyone.
Night Bob.

I like analyzing lyrics from time to time, but I haven't done that in awhile. I rarely read the lyrics these days anymore. But now that you've posted a thread about this, I'll look into some songs a little later.

Hey guys, glad you enjoyed my attempt :)

I'm not really into monologuing here though, I was rather hoping for more of a CONVERSATION... I already know what I think and how I interpret the lyrics, posting it doesn't really help me much.. so you see where motivation to do that might be a problem, yea? :p

god hides withing the machines? machines - human beings - destroy the brain and machine stops working // concept of god is only in our heads // cannot be disprooven but canot be prooved as well
sometimes when i listen to lyrics of prog bands(mostly concious people:D) i wish music was instrumental...although i must admit that spiral architect vocals are the first ones that are enjoyable for me to listen. tone is not super high and not wimpy:) but at the same time melodic. Öyvind is an actual prog vocalist:D

Nice interpretation. I've thought for some time if the lyrics in "Spinning" were of the same subject.

Inner sense lost in a stream
Another day faking control
Alone, still living an introspective lie
Cut adrift, in constant motion
Roaming never ending oceans

An introspective lie and never ending oceans being convoluted religious/philosophical ideas?

Manipulate my mind, I don’t mind
the kind of lie to subdivide, petrify, dehumanize

These false ideas subdivide (conflicts of religious factions/warring nations?), petrify (stagnate intellectual development?), dehumanize (directly related to subdividing)

Since "Spinning" is the first track on the album perhaps this is the starting point in Bobs story before his little existential crisis in "Cloud Constructor" (if we're assuming there is some sort of continuity in the order of the songs). So at this point perhaps he has some idea that something fishy is going on with these ideas but for the time being he is content to believe them as they are convenient? I'm guessing questioning begins at this stage due to a bit near the end of the song:

Man manipulates man’s mind
Should they mind the kind of lie
to subdivide, petrify, dehumanize

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a question or not but it seems to be questioning.