Lyrics

CaGeD iN

Wandering on Ypres Rd.
Hey Dave about the lyrics.... i absolutely love them, imo they are the best lyrics i have ever seen in music, yet they still hold truth like "it is our pathetic moments which make us desire to be great" another thing is with the lyrics i love is that they are neutral in religion, cuz i was raised by parents who were going to be a priest and a nun, but i am not like that... I always look through lyrics before i get a song, and WoY easily has the best imo, will it be like that in woods 3?

Thanks man! Yeah Dan Hulse and I are both pretty godless. I think Jessica is too, but I can't say for sure. Regardless, we all live lives of reality, and so we're in to writting about 'the thrill of the struggle'.

I've recently been tweaking the lyrics for Woods 3 as were getting ready to start laying down some vocals. I'd like to think that the lyrics of Woods 3 will be our best yet. In my opinion, they are. :)

Damn dude. That's what I was going to say. "The Will to Give" and "The Ghosts of Summer's Past" are masterpieces. The Will to Give has basically become my philosophy for life. And as somewhat of a poet/lyricist myself, the lyrics are usually the first thing I look at when I discover a new band. Keep up the great work.

Renegade46n2 said:
Damn dude. That's what I was going to say. "The Will to Give" and "The Ghosts of Summer's Past" are masterpieces. The Will to Give has basically become my philosophy for life. And as somewhat of a poet/lyricist myself, the lyrics are usually the first thing I look at when I discover a new band. Keep up the great work.
yes, i write lyrics and yours appeal to me way more than mine do lol

I think the lyrics are great too, like with most superb albums, they took a little while to sink as the music did. The whole philosophy on "Pursuit..." of life/death vs. summer/winter vs. hot/cold vs. sun/grave is very introspective and thought provoking. I'm a spiritual person but not really religious at this point in my life, so I appreciate the lack of religious overtones also...keeping it to a human struggle level works for me.

Excellent work!

:kickass: :headbang:

I like the lyrics from "A Meeting Place and Time" very much. and "Allure of the Earth". those are my favourites from Woods of Ypres.

"It was a year ago today, I put a desperate man to death. He was the man I used to be... He trusted every word you said" thats just fuckin awesome man

sdmf2 said:
I like the lyrics from "A Meeting Place and Time" very much. and "Allure of the Earth". those are my favourites from Woods of Ypres.

"It was a year ago today, I put a desperate man to death. He was the man I used to be... He trusted every word you said" thats just fuckin awesome man

I'd have to agree with you. I thank that either "A Meeting Place and Time" or "Shedding the Deadwood" are the two most thought provoking (in my opinion) songs I've heard yet.

The metaphors and subliminal meanings in every song amaze me. The thing I love about Woods of Ypres is that all the lyrics mean something, as opposed to most bands who just use whatever rhymes to fill in time on their albums.

Midnight In Winter said:
I'd have to agree with you. I thank that either "A Meeting Place and Time" or "Shedding the Deadwood" are the two most thought provoking (in my opinion) songs I've heard yet.

The metaphors and subliminal meanings in every song amaze me. The thing I love about Woods of Ypres is that all the lyrics mean something, as opposed to most bands who just use whatever rhymes to fill in time on their albums.

I agree.

Woods of Ypres>90% of other lyrics

Midnight In Winter - The thing I love about Woods of Ypres is that all the lyrics mean something, as opposed to most bands who just use whatever rhymes to fill in time on their albums.
You nailed it! The lyric writing phase of an album is probably the most time consuming and stressfull for me for that very reason. Many of our lyrics are writen and re-writen 3 or 4 times before they are done. For us, everything needs to make sense (at least to me), the lyrics have to actually be about something, and somehow the music itself has to reasonably tie into it all. As in, content fits the atmosphere of the music and when someone asks "What is this song about?" I can give them a good, clear answer. Riffs are nice but you need to marry them with themes and ideas to really make a song. IMO, any band who gives the "our songs are up for the listeners own interpretation" line basically means their lyrics don't really make sense. They may be catchy, but there's nothing really there to investigate. One of the more heartbreaking parts of finishing a new lyric is facing the leftovers...sometimes I may brainstorm 10 pages of poitential lines based on a concept, but in the end, I'll only use one single page worth for the final version, so even lines that I thought were good and that I liked do get cut if they do not fit in with the theme and the story.

I've always thought that one day I would take the time to elaborate on particular lyric lines and choices of words of our old songs with the origins and explanations of actual real life events and situations that occured that inspired the lyrics themselves. There's a lot behind it all, + lots of 'hidden' shit too! :p

That's not to say we dislike any particular style different from ours, it's more like we do see what we do as a pure form of traditional 'songwriting' where the point of the songs is to convey a message with the emotions and try to relate to, and make connections with the listening audience. There are a lot of bands that I'll admit that I just can't get into because the content isn't there (I believe this isn't because the band is dumb or anything, but more simply that they just didn't put the time into the lyrics phase. Some people get anxious at the end of a long recording to get their albums out there in a hurry so they can send people to their website and be rockstars :heh: ).

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen! The best, is yet to come! :)

sdmf2 said:
I would definitely have to second that. This line stands out. Especially since you don't see the second part coming, initially. Coming across unexpected twists is a nice extra to say the least.

Perhaps somewhat off topic, but I always liked Hellhammer's line "Was it tomorrow or will it be yesterday?" That was pretty neat for its time as well. :)

David Gold said:
Riffs are nice but you need to marry them with themes and ideas to really make a song.
There, there! Speaking of nailing it...!

David Gold said:
IMO, any band who gives the "our songs are up for the listeners own interpretation" line basically means their lyrics don't really make sense.
Either that or they write about rather dubious subjects and don't have the guts to take the heat for it. Which is something I've seen once or twice; a sort of kick and run attitude.

David Gold said:
I've always thought that one day I would take the time to elaborate on particular lyric lines and choices of words of our old songs with the origins and explanations of actual real life events and situations that occured that inspired the lyrics themselves.
Interestingly, that very subject has come up on the Novembers Doom forum. Their vocalist has a few specific things to address of course.

"Originally Posted by David Gold
I've always thought that one day I would take the time to elaborate on particular lyric lines and choices of words of our old songs with the origins and explanations of actual real life events and situations that occured that inspired the lyrics themselves."

You should totally do that! Try one song a week? I dunno... or in the next newsletter maybe? Have a poll on the forum for the top 5 songs people want done and then do those, or do it by album?

Yeah, upon actually reading and paying attention to the lyrics, they're really great. They all seem to follow a general theme, without necessarily being a concept album. The "Shedding the Deadwood" lyrics are amazing, at first I found them confusing, but now I absolutely love them.

Are people born poets? I recently wrote rough lyrics for a song about the bullshit Chuck Schulidner went though in his last days, and I can't see to write anything overly smart or deep, just what came to my mind, and most of it probably doesn't make sense or flow. So I'm curious, did you people really pay attention in English class or what.

Aeonblade said:
Are people born poets? I recently wrote rough lyrics for a song about the bullshit Chuck Schulidner went though in his last days, and I can't see to write anything overly smart or deep, just what came to my mind, and most of it probably doesn't make sense or flow. So I'm curious, did you people really pay attention in English class or what.
idk it takes me about ten minutes to have one page of standard notebook paper full of lyrics that rhyme one every line, and/or have about the same amount of syllables, here i will type one now...

in the darkest of places,
where no one dares,
lies a village of those,
that no one cares,
people flee here,
when they are hurt,
the youngest here,
only play with dirt,
the sun rises,
but never sleeps,
walk by as anothger weeps,
a beautiful day,
is when skies turn black,
once you come here,
you dont go back,
for here lie those not good enough
they try but outside the village is too rough,
in here we are all the same,
but outside here is just a game,
once you join here,
you are an outcast,
here you are accepted,
regardless your past,
if you're coming here,
dont make haste,
here there is too much time to waste,
here we are all victims of the earth,
we have been that way since our birth,
the ignorant will die chasing greed,
its because our words they didnt heed,
lust will kill off the rest,
but to help we tried our best,
they think we are pathetically weak,
but when they ignore us they become meek,
for this is the village of outcasts,
we are stronger than the others,
i survive cause i am the one who lasts,
in the end the outcast conquers.

that was without any editing, i think that one took me 20 minutes, tell me what you think