M-Audio Fast Track USB, Good For The $?

Robert W

May 13, 2009
Am looking to buy another USB interface and was wondering how the M-Audio Fast Track rated.

Thanks.

I got the MKII version. It does have some noise but that goes without saying I guess... still the sound quality is good for home use. I get problems sometimes when running multiple audio programs simultaneously and I have to close all program and restart the Fast Track. It's actually really irritating. :(

Anyways all of my material that I've recorded at home is done with this and it always works.

I get problems sometimes when running multiple audio programs simultaneously and I have to close all program and restart the Fast Track. It's actually really irritating. :(
If you are using Win7, try to disable monopole card mode in windows audio device settings, this can help.

Been using one for about 3 years now, literally never have any problems out of it. Definitely the most reliable interface I have owned so far, and it sounds great. The only thing that sucks is that it doesn't have MIDI in/out, but for $119 and the reliability, I don't even care,

Win7 = Windows 7.
I`m did such setup with one of our local guys, he has M-Audio C400 and there was problems with ASIO setup, some system shit has taken control of interface (C400 was as default system audio interface, also usual source of problems).

Win7 = Windows 7.
I`m did such setup with one of our local guys, he has M-Audio C400 and there was problems with ASIO setup, some system shit has taken control of interface (C400 was as default system audio interface, also usual source of problems).

Yes, Windows 7, when I enable my Fast Track Pro, I always have to switch it off as default interface, else I'm not able to use it in Cubase. It's possible the other way around, if I choose the Fast Track Pro as device in Cubase and then enable it as default interface, then I can both hear sound in Cubase and other programs.

I don't really know what u mean with the monopole card option or where I can disable this.

Very good interface for the price yes, you would probably not regret it. However when I bought mine It was a kind of default move, I think you can get slightly better for a comparable price (presonus comes to mind). I'm not sure the difference is big enough to be worth bothering though.

Used a FastTrack Pro for a live setup for years. Some noticeable noise levels, but overall, robust and portable enough for home and stage. Worth the dough IMO

By saying monopole mode I`m referring to shitty russian translation.
Actually I mean this:
image10.png

I.e. exclusive mode.

Got Fasttrack pro. Years ago I got the usb one which is the older version of the last MKII. Lots of problems occurs. The worst - it bleeds metronome click sound into recording!!! It was often problem disscussed on their forum. Occasionally stopped working and needed restart. Tech support was weak.. and they rather stop making them anymore... (check M audio site) I think they fix that problem with newer MKII version. Fasttrack pro is much better. From M audio I also use M audio Studiophile BX active monitors. Design and flat response is perfect but after year one led stop to light... :(

you can grab a line 6 ux1 for 97 dollars right now. Comes with podfarm 2 too. I would look into that as well

Did you ever compare line 6 stuff to any other interface?
If you do this, you will notice that line 6 has higher high pass frequency, so less lows on DI.
M-Audio stuff can be more natural (in case of passives), maybe except FT Pro, because of it`s low impedance (220k instead of 1 M).