m/s for mastering

derfbonker

Flaccid Member
Sep 4, 2007
What's up, Just registered yesterday, but I have been reading the forum for a while, and I have to say it is one of the better ones I have come across.

I was wondering if anyone has a clue how to separate a stereo recording into mid and side components for mastering. I would like to be able to do this for when I am mastering, so I can compress and eq the mid and side channels separately form one another.

Thanks bro!
This is Billy, You've been talking to Tyler so far. He lurks on here, but I don't know if he has an account.

gonna "dive in" eh?.... and you don't even know what it is..... or WHY one might possibly use it if it were necessary.... i'd suggest diving in to a book on subject first.

What's up, Just registered yesterday, but I have been reading the forum for a while, and I have to say it is one of the better ones I have come across.

I was wondering if anyone has a clue how to separate a stereo recording into mid and side components for mastering. I would like to be able to do this for when I am mastering, so I can compress and eq the mid and side channels separately form one another.

It's been discussed before, and I have to agree that you should read up on it more before this - there are plugins for it and you can even do it by copying, pasting, and combining if you understand the basic mechanics of it.

Jeff

I do have an idea what it is, and why i might need to use it. I will agree I need to read up some, but every search I try come up with almost nothing. Thats why i posted this, because I thought someone here might want to help me out, I didn't know I was going to be chastised for trying to learn about something.

The reason I wanted to know about the whole mid/side separation thing was because of an old mix that my friend and I did a while back that came out sounding very mono and had weak sounding kick (no low end). With the plugin that CJWall told me about, I did fix the problems somewhat, although I know I will never be able to fix it totally, without remixing the song.

Sorry for the delay - if the Cubase project is any help for you I can send it over. In that case please PM me your Email as I can't access the FTP for a few more days). I also have a diagram of how to implement this on an analog system (after which i configured the said Cubase session) available - Maybe that would be better for basic understanding!?