MACHINATED's Sonor snare samples for you!

These are from a band I'm currently working on, its a Sonor Force 3005 14x5.5 snare. Mics were 57 on top, i5 underneath into Mackie Onyx 800R, into MOTU 896HD via ADAT optical. There should 30 hits (10 hard, 10 medium, 10 soft), and sorry about the big file sizes!

Snare Top
Snare Bottom

Snare Processed

...and here is a very early mix with them. Guitars are PodXT right now (getting reamped through a Triple Rec), and only half of the rhythms are done. VERY EARLY mix, but I quite like the sound of the snare. HERE

Hope you enjoy these!

No problem guys, just paying back the favour for all the other samples and impulses I have got from this forum. I have a Mesa Traditional cab coming into the studio this week, if someone wants to teach me (read:go through it) how to make impulses I'll do some of it and some 1960's too with a few mics.

Hope they work well for you guys!

No problem guys, just paying back the favour for all the other samples and impulses I have got from this forum. I have a Mesa Traditional cab coming into the studio this week, if someone wants to teach me (read:go through it) how to make impulses I'll do some of it and some 1960's too with a few mics.

Hope they work well for you guys!

Download Voxengo Deconvolver

Feed a test tone through a fx return of your amp.
A solid state power section would be the best because we don't want any power tube coloration - just your cab frequency response.
If you have only all-tube amps, then you should use a cleanest possible volume without any power tube distortion, but loud enough for your mic to capture all necessary info.

Load the recorded response tone in VD and deconvolve it.

These are from a band I'm currently working on, its a Sonor Force 3005 14x5.5 snare. Mics were 57 on top, i5 underneath into Mackie Onyx 800R, into MOTU 896HD via ADAT optical. There should 30 hits (10 hard, 10 medium, 10 soft), and sorry about the big file sizes!

Snare Top
Snare Bottom

Snare Processed

...and here is a very early mix with them. Guitars are PodXT right now (getting reamped through a Triple Rec), and only half of the rhythms are done. VERY EARLY mix, but I quite like the sound of the snare. HERE

Hope you enjoy these!

Maybe I am just a moron but how are these supposed to be used? I downloaded the processes.zip file and see there are a bunch of snare samples. Do I jsut pick the one I like the most? Do I use them in combination? Also, what is the top and bottom snare sample?

I use Beatcraft for my drum programming and it is basic but it works for me. I use the samples that came with it and EQ them a bit. I am looking into trying some of the samples people are posting here but I am a bit lost.

Thank you.

Maybe I am just a moron but how are these supposed to be used? I downloaded the processes.zip file and see there are a bunch of snare samples. Do I jsut pick the one I like the most? Do I use them in combination? Also, what is the top and bottom snare sample?

I use Beatcraft for my drum programming and it is basic but it works for me. I use the samples that came with it and EQ them a bit. I am looking into trying some of the samples people are posting here but I am a bit lost.

Thank you.

You run them in something like aptrigga or drumagog, and it replaces the original snare with the sample.

Top = top snare mic.
Bottom = bottom snare mic.

You run them in something like aptrigga or drumagog, and it replaces the original snare with the sample.

Top = top snare mic.
Bottom = bottom snare mic.

I am asuming I can use them in Beatcraft as well as I can import them.

So I use both the top and bottom samples together? If so why not just combin them into one file (sample)?

I am asuming I can use them in Beatcraft as well as I can import them.

So I use both the top and bottom samples together? If so why not just combin them into one file (sample)?

More freedom to mix it the way you want with a top/bottom sample seperate.

I wouldn't use beatcraft... it sounds to me like you can only import one sample or something - it's going to sound incredibly unrealistic.

More freedom to mix it the way you want with a top/bottom sample seperate.

I wouldn't use beatcraft... it sounds to me like you can only import one sample or something - it's going to sound incredibly unrealistic.

I can import many samples I am jsut trying to understand how to use them all.

So with the Snare Processed.zip file containing about 30 snare samples I use all of them to make one "good" snare sample?

Nope. You can mix the bottem and top snares to get a "good" sound but once you've done that, you can load all of them into drumagog or another program like it, and it will play those samples semi-randomly. That's what makes it sound realistic, because you don't hear the same hit everytime.