Mainstream metal/hard rock may have the lowest hit-to-miss ratio for me, but...

I was in a bar in Rutland, VT a couple weeks ago and the bartender had put together his own playlist. I was totally getting into Matthew Sweet again. Also got me back into Del Amitri and Gin Blossoms. Hey, it's just the mood I'm in sometimes. Metal is nearly always good, but sometimes you gotta mix it up. I also really dig Mute Math. Sue me.

I don't know if this topic was meant to become a discussion about what we like outside of metal, but I have some pretty eclectic "guilty pleasures":

Maroon 5: The best pop group in quite some time. These guys play new-school pop rock mixed with old-school funk, and it's catchy as shit.

Ra: Mentioned above from John Frank, friend of Matt Johnsen (guitarist for Pharaoh): one of the best alt-rock bands around to not explode in popularity. They have one of the best singers, and while the riffs are a bit more simplistic than what I look for in my metal, they bring it in a way that bands like Hoobastank and others just can't satisfy for me.

I think there's some overlap in the metal community with folks who like good post-rock, a la Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You Black Emperor, and Mogwai. I am one of those. That's good stuff. Also, there is quite a bit of new-ish mainstream-ish prog rock that I enjoy as well. Consider Porcupine Tree, The Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria, and The Dear Hunter among these bands.

Every now and then I get in a non-metal mood and look outside the rock and metal genres altogether and listen to (good) hip-hop and rap. Yes, it exists, and it is rarely on the radio. I could name-drop several lesser known artists, but rappers that are somewhat known that are still noteworthy would include Outkast, Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, and Murs. Just like with metal, though, hip hop has not been as good as it was decades ago, with the influx of so much crass misogyny in the "Bitches, Ho's, Pimps, and Money" category that most mainstream rap has become. Oh well.

Also, new System of a Down sucks complete ass. Those first two albums were the best of their career then, they shut down. Darren Malakian is an asshole and a terrible singer, and I'm glad they're broken up.

I'm with you John.

There are few popular releases that I enjoy, but when I enjoy them I usually love them and they end up being amongst my favorites released that year. Pop music has put out some of the best albums ever, but they also have tons of dismal releases (just like any other genre). The difference between the two is while I can tolerate middle of the road prog metal, I can't tolerate middle of the road pop music, so if I charted albums I liked in a genre, versus albums I loved, I think that pop music would definitely lean heavier in the love:like ratio, than metal.

1) I find it ridiculous that someone would actually ask other people if their music taste is good or not. It's one thing to ask for suggestions, it's another thing to say "Are the bands I like good?" And please forgive me if I misunderstood the idea of the thread.

2) I find it even more ridiculous that people who are into metal are afraid of admitting they like someone who's not metal, or pop, or hip hop, or whatever. If you really think you're better than everybody else because you only listen to metal, or prog metal or death metal, guess what? You're a tool. You're a big friggin' idiot (and I don't think anyone in this thread has said that, for the record). The whole "It's Metal or No Music" attitude is so pathetic, it makes me wanna laugh at those who truly feel that way. You should like whatever sounds good to you, and if people think it's ridiculous, guess what?? Screw them. Big time.

Now, if you want some more mainstream music suggestions, I can try to get a few more recommendations your way. And as far as your list goes, I think I like quite a few of those, especially Heaven Below and (mentioned later) Alter Bridge.

Who did either of these 2 things? John clearly was just asking if any genres tend to be stronger in the hit-or-miss category for you than others...

Who did either of these 2 things? John clearly was just asking if any genres tend to be stronger in the hit-or-miss category for you than others...

Nobody. I had a feeling that would be brought up at one point or another in this thread, so I just felt like sharing my opinion. :)

Ra: Mentioned above from John Frank, friend of Matt Johnsen (guitarist for Pharaoh): one of the best alt-rock bands around to not explode in popularity. They have one of the best singers, and while the riffs are a bit more simplistic than what I look for in my metal, they bring it in a way that bands like Hoobastank and others just can't satisfy for me.

I have to agree with you about Ra, discovered them listening to last.fm, they are great.. and The Mars Volta is freaking amazing!

While I would say 90% of the music I listen to is metal, I do listen to some hard rock, classic rock, prog rock, even some folk music etc. etc. When it comes to metal, I also am not sub-genre specific. I really don't care if it is popular here, there or anywhere...... but I like very little of the stuff that is released and it really doesn't matter what sub-genre it is. As far as mainstream goes, I suppose since Brett Scallions is back with Fuel, a new release by them is something I am looking forward to more than anything considering all of the releases with him on vocals by Fuel I enjoy. I actually like the first Disturbed release as well, but I sort of grew tired of the vocals after that one. I like the singer's voice of Shinedown, what I have heard of it, but I haven't checked out a release as of yet. I am not at all familiar with any of the other bands you mentioned.

Bryant

Yeah, I think I might be guilty here of misreading the original intent of the post. Still though, it reads like he is looking for acceptance for liking mainstream bands. Cool for him though if he has found more consistency with these types of bands.

I have to agree with you about Ra, discovered them listening to last.fm, they are great.. and The Mars Volta is freaking amazing!

I've had a hard time getting into the Mars Volta. I tried plenty of times, but they're just not for me.

As for Ra, which album do you suggest I start with?

Yeah, I think I might be guilty here of misreading the original intent of the post. Still though, it reads like he is looking for acceptance for liking mainstream bands.

John is just a sad, misunderstood man in the cold Midwest, always crying out for acceptance. Alas, he looks for it in the wrong places. At least he has his Necrophagist CDs and his friendship with Matt Johnsen of Pharoah to fall back on.

As for Ra, which album do you suggest I start with?

The album From One is a good starter, as it is their first real studio album. It features the song "Do You Call My Name" which was featured on a Madden video game (and is actually how I discovered the band). That album also shows more Middle Eastern feel than subsequent releases. However, I think the band really came into its own with the next album Duality. It has a better sense of melody, and I just think it's a more mature album.

The album From One is a good starter, as it is their first real studio album. It features the song "Do You Call My Name" which was featured on a Madden video game (and is actually how I discovered the band). That album also shows more Middle Eastern feel than subsequent releases. However, I think the band really came into its own with the next album Duality. It has a better sense of melody, and I just think it's a more mature album.

I do agree that Duality is their best release (and so IMO the place to start). The debut is very good as well.

I found the third release, Black Sun, to be very disappointing.

Anybody have any idea if these guys are still around?

BTW, for folks that like Ra and similar, I highly recommend the band Breed 77. Their latest, Insects, is an absolutely monster slab of heavy modern rock.

I've had a hard time getting into the Mars Volta. I tried plenty of times, but they're just not for me.

They for sure are an acquired taste, so I can't say I'm surprised. I never really gave them a listen until I started working at FYE and one of my co-workers put it in constant rotation. I really dig them, despite not owning most of their stuff. They are for sure one of the more progressive acts that are "mainstream."