Mainstream metal/hard rock may have the lowest hit-to-miss ratio for me, but...

I do agree that Duality is their best release (and so IMO the place to start). The debut is very good as well.

I found the third release, Black Sun, to be very disappointing.

Anybody have any idea if these guys are still around?

BTW, for folks that like Ra and similar, I highly recommend the band Breed 77. Their latest, Insects, is an absolutely monster slab of heavy modern rock.

Heh. Black Sun is the album I like from the band. My blurb:

80. Ra - Black Sun

Radio-friendly modern hard rock. They can get a bit whiny for me at times, but songs like “Broken Hearted Soul”, “Faulty Information”, and “Don’t Turn Away” work for me with their catchy choruses and slightly harder edge. Most of the rest of the songs are acceptable, but none are nearly as memorable as those three.

I second the recommendation of Breed 77. I like both Insects and In My Blood (En Mi Sangre). Thanks again for the recommendation, even though you are not in a band.

Based on this thread, I just checked out Ra and Breed 77. Not a big fan of the latter, but I dig Ra. Gotta explore their material now. Thanks for the tip guys!

What the hell???:yow:

Jason, you're our resident doom guy, but you gave the thumbs up to Ace of Base!!!! You might not live this one down my friend! :lol:

~Brian~

Hey, everyone has skeletons in their closet.

Some of ours just happen to be Euro pop. Anyone remember TaTu? They were great, before they hit puberty..

Hey, everyone has skeletons in their closet.

Some of ours just happen to be Euro pop. Anyone remember TaTu? They were great, before they hit puberty..

Oh yeah, the fake lesbians. :lol: They became Katy Perry. :lol:

For Euro-pop, do you remember or ever checked the band Vanilla Ninja? They had one or two pretty friggin' catchy songs...

Vanilla_Ninja_07.jpg

Never heard of Vanilla Ninja!

But um.. judging from their picture.. is it just me, or do they all look like clones?

I still love me some pop punk music. Check out a band called the Ergs. One the best bass players I've ever seen live.

Oh hell yeah, The Ergs ruled. They're actually getting back together for a one-off cancer benefit show sometime over the next few months. Sucks that it's on the other side of the country.

I listen to a LOT of stuff aside from metal.

Some of my all-time favorite non-metal bands are: Screeching Weasel, the Misfits, 7 Seconds, Poison Idea, The Smiths / Morrissey, The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Goo Goo Dolls, Alkaline Trio, etc, etc.....

I listen to a LOT of stuff aside from metal.

Some of my all-time favorite non-metal bands are: Screeching Weasel, the Misfits, 7 Seconds, Poison Idea, The Smiths / Morrissey, The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Goo Goo Dolls, Alkaline Trio, etc, etc.....

down with some Screeching Weasel and Misfits...the Queers, the Ramones, Flogging Molly and the like...and i do dig some Lords of Acid every now and again ;)

My hero. :)

I learned to sing by imitating her, when I was a widdle girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
down with some Screeching Weasel and Misfits...the Queers, the Ramones, Flogging Molly and the like...and i do dig some Lords of Acid every now and again ;)

Never got into Lords of Acid too much, but do like the Wax Trax stuff, like Front 242, Thrill Kill Kult, RevCo, Pailhead, etc.

Spent a lot of time in High School at Medusa's in Chicago, where Industrial was huge. Don't really listen to it at all these days, but can appreciate it when I hear it.

From stuff from that era, I still like Godflesh a lot, but that's a lot heavier of course than traditional industrial stuff.