Make Metal Music On Computer?

(__Joonas__)

† Followed the Reaper †
Mar 23, 2005
Finland
I've been thinking about this shit for years and years... It would be cool to try put together metal music with a computer program.

Is it possible for someone who's helpless with computers?
What program is the most easy yet efficient?
Are the drum & guitar sounds any good?
How do you like get 'em sounds and can you record guitar / keys easily?

Just for some discussion since it's so boring here these days.

Who wouldn't want to hear a dark electro version of Follow the Reaper? Doom metal version of Punch Me I Bleed? Or black metal version of SNBN with more orchestral hits... Not saying I would/could do that, but maybe someone else. Yes I would like to try some elements that I always insisted should be in Bodom, but mainly I'd love to do something very dark and atmospheric, to see if I have any musical ability.

For drums I can say that you can achive easily better recordings with a decent DAW. Not for every band, but you can create really really really good drum sounds with SD or SSD. Same for keys, but for guitars and bass? No way

Like Arcane said, drums and bass are easy to make sound good but creating guitars without playing them in is impossible. The best you can get is Guitar Pro sounds, and they're not exactly good. You can however record clean guitars and use emulators etc. to create a decent metal tone from the clean tone.

I use Cubase when making music. Personally I find it to be great. I had Pro Tools a few years back, but it never really worked together with my computer. Crashed all the time and had the computer blue screening once every hour, so I made the switch. Cubase is far stabler, at least on my computer (Self built, Windows 7 64bit)

Also, if you manage to get a working home studio set up, go ahead and start creating music. Probably won't sound like much in the beginning unless you've been composing before, but with all your atmospheric talk etc. I'd be interested to hear what you could come up with.

You keep on talking about atmosphere and what direction COB should go in so I'm actually interested in what you could come up with (Not having a go at you). For starters I really think you should get Guitar Pro as you can write for any instrument. It might not sound the best but at least you'll be able to easily incorporate whatever ideas you have in your head and it's a great reference when you actually use real instruments. It's all in MIDI as well so you can import your tracks to whatever DAW you use and make it sound better then.

I would record guitars with my guitar. I've never heard powerful guitars coming from a computer source.

Maybe some day I'll look into it closer. I just suck with technology, so I'd have to find an easy way.

I would record guitars with my guitar. I've never heard powerful guitars coming from a computer source.

Maybe some day I'll look into it closer. I just suck with technology, so I'd have to find an easy way.

There's loads of tutorials for everything on youtube. If you want try it and don't want to use money just yet, get Tux Guitar. It's basically Guitar Pro for free. Has all the different instruments too.

I thought Tux Guitar and Guitar Pro are for composing and "tabs", you don't make enjoyable music with them. There's no way in heck I could make anything sound worthwhile with that.

I thought Tux Guitar and Guitar Pro are for composing and "tabs", you don't make enjoyable music with them. There's no way in heck I could make anything sound worthwhile with that.

They are, but like mrKRB64 said, they're good for making templates that can later be transported to a DAW (Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic...) The sound won't be amazing, but you'll still hear what the song as a whole will sound like.

I don't know. With atmosphere it's much more about the sounds than the notes. I mean it's very particular how you can produce a wanted feeling with each particular sound. But I'm thinking about slow, dark electro type stuff with doomish and even blackish things included, some guitar riffs and of course orchestral hits.

This thread is now resurrected, because I've come to the point where I'll be making my own metal project, and it will be by myself first...

That's the way most of them start. Mine certainly did. When you get something done and ready be sure to post a link here. I want to hear what you come up with.

As a side note I recently discovered that a guy at my summer job not only listens to, but plays in several black metal bands, and to make it better and infinitely more funny, the guy is called Joonas! :D

I already have an awesome artwork for my album, lyrics for 4 songs, much ideas, it's shaping up little by little, at least 7 songs... but even if I figured how to set up a home studio (I can do it on tux guitar yes), who's gonna do the vocals? Well, that's the last problem. One day it can happen if I stay keen on it.

That's really weird given how un-metal a name that is. :D

And speaking of bands, I came to the conclusion I will choose to make music on my own (at first), because there are no bands making music I like and looking for a player... sure I could find something, but I'll rather create something myself from scratch than be frustrated with someone else's band not being creative.

Last edited:
Kongregate the site has a 'Battle of the Bands'. A Flash Game for Computers about Bands...it is kind of fun.

I don't know because I don't have a normal computer. My dad gave me an Apple computer and it has guitar pro, but I don't like that app because it's hard to make good music. And also because I got an apple I have to download music from Tubidy because otherwise I have to pay for each track separately in itunes. Anyway, I don't like apple's technology at all. It's too expensive. In addition, the services and facilities are also quite expensive.