Making CDs for a non metal fan. Your recs are needed!

whiskey funeral

Mother North
Jun 11, 2008
New Jersey
Hey guys.

I decided to burn a few CDs for a friend of mine who isn't much of a metal listener since he seems generally interested in hearing some of the music I enjoy.

I need your help in picking out a few bands to introduce him to. Agalloch is my top pick at the moment and of course, I don't want to throw the heavier music in his direction right away.

I appreciate the help.

Therion - any song from "Vovin"
Metallica - One
Hypocrisy - Fire In The Sky
Hypocrisy - Roswell 47
Mayhem - Freezing Moon (so you can introduce him to Black Metal heheheh)
Lacrimosa - any song
Dark Tranquillity - Feast Of Burden (I think he might like it)

Therion - any song from "Vovin"
Metallica - One
Hypocrisy - Fire In The Sky
Hypocrisy - Roswell 47
Mayhem - Freezing Moon (so you can introduce him to Black Metal heheheh)
Lacrimosa - any song
Dark Tranquillity - Feast Of Burden (I think he might like it)

Good call on Hypocrisy. Mayhem...probably not a good idea at this point. :p

I probably should've mentioned in the original post that he enjoys the more popular metal bands and some of that mainstream power metal that probably gets air time on Headbanger's Ball.

Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Morbid Angel - Lord of all Fever & plagues
Opeth - The Grand Conjuration
Black Sabbath - Looking For Today
Slayer - Angel Of Death

off the top of my head..
Instead of putting on bands that take a bit more patience and understanding to listen to, throw on this stuff which gives a good look at different aspects of metal.

ninja edit: some easy to get into Power:
Axenstar - Blind Leading The Blind
Blind Guardian - Nightfall
Iced Earth - Wolf(their only good song)
Helloween - Mrs God
Kamelot - Soul Society
Manowar - King
Nightwish - Wish I had an Angel
Rhapsody - Land Of Immortals
Symphony X - Fallen

Good call on Hypocrisy. Mayhem...probably not a good idea at this point. :p

I probably should've mentioned in the original post that he enjoys the more popular metal bands and some of that mainstream power metal that probably gets air time on Headbanger's Ball.

Another thing: for Dark Tranquillity, I think he might like any song from "Projector" to the following ones.

Maybe put on some Acid Bath, they must be pretty easy to get into. I like The Mortician's Flame, but obviouisly you can pick whichever ones you like.

All the typical stuff -- the big thrash bands, Opeth, Pantera -- would be a good bet but if you want them on there then you probably have already thought about them.

I watched Headbanger's Ball once, it was mostly metalcore type stuff. Maybe throw on some Trivium, Despised Icon, Lamb of God...

Why do people recommend black metal in threads like this?

Iced Earth
Unearth
Children of Bodom
Slayer
Trivium
Opeth - Blackwater Park (album)
Carcass - Heartwork (album)
etc

It's kinda pointless for everyone to keep reccomending Metallica, Opeth, Slayer, etc. because those ones are obvious. He said the guy likes the more popular metal bands so he might already know all those bands. And even if not, splatterday night fever's surely already thought about those bands.

Introduce Metal to a new guy^^

I had the fun to do some of those CDs for my work, it worked pretty well.

I like to start with e.g. Slayer - Angel of Death. good start ^^

then mix it up with different styles, put some Hardcore on, some Death, Black, Heavy. but make sure you take the better produced ones. dont start with Underground bands or something like that.
the Tracklist that did it for my Working mate, hes pretty into Amon Amarth and Slayer now. ^^ thats not in order, but like I saud, it worked pretty good

Slayer - Angel of Death
ACDC - Hells Bell live ; Thunderstruck
Amon Amarth - Asator ; Cry of the Blackbirds
Hatebreed - Destroy everything ; beholder of justice
Iron Maiden - Number of the beast live ; fear of the dark live ; run to the hills live
Slipknot - Surfacing ; wait and bleed