Making CDs for a non metal fan. Your recs are needed!

When the clean vocal part comes in on With Strength I Burn, I always sing along to it. :cool: And I sing along with a ton of Samael stuff. Every time I play The Cross in my car I always sing with it. Maybe it's not catchy, but I just love it and think it's so accessibly done. Then again, it isn't really black metal.

I know what you're saying InFlames. A lot of people probably wouldn't call black metal "catchy." It's definitely not catchy in the same way a song like Pride of the Tyrant is catchy.

Darkthrone catchy? now that's something iv'e not heard before..

Well sometimes its groovy and sometimes they have some nice sing along passages like in "command". Alot of the time the catchiness isnt in the vocals but in the melody lines provided by the guitar. Alot of Dark Funerals stuff is pretty catchy and memorable because of highly melodic guitars even though the drummer blasts his way through alot of the songs. Sure it isnt ABBA catchy but everything is relative.

But for someone getting into metal?
Black metal is a bad suggestion...unless it's really melodic on first listen.

Anyways, here's a random list. No thought put behind it...just listed whatever came to my mind.

Symphony X - Accolade II
Doomsword - Death of ferdia
Arcturus - Nightmare Heaven
Liquid Tension Experiment - Biaxident
Pelican - Forecast for today
Exumer - Destructive Solution
Tyr - The wild rover
Windir - Arntor, ein Windir
InFlames - Trigger
Opeth - Deliverance

can't be ficked reading all the posts, hope I'm not the first to ask:

who are his favorite bands at the moment?

I'm sure I can pick out something to some degree similar to them...

"All the typical stuff -- the big thrash bands, Opeth, Pantera"

Here is what he was really trying to say:

"All the typical stuff -- Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Opeth, Pantera"

Don't forget Anthrax!
I would also recommend Threshold, Satriani, Scenery Channel, Iron Maiden and definately go with Agalloch

I really think something really melodic can introduce anybody to metal.

Perso, I was introduced with Finntroll...

But I guess clean vocals like Leaves' Eyes, Amorphis or something like this could be a good start too...

Just a guess...